Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the ignorant question. I searched a bit hear about which bashgaurds people prefer and how they set them up. My stupid question of the day is why use one at all. I did not shift a single time to my big ring up front last riding season. For the obvious benefits, I removed the big ring and shortened my chain. I left my derailer where it is (I have a 5-spot FWIW) and adjusted my set limit screw to prevent the chain from jumping off the middle ring. My question is this. If I did not need a guard when running the big ring, why would I need one when going with just the granny and middle? I have more clearance now, not less. Yet I know very few people (actually none) running bashgaurds with their big ring. Yet everyone I know running 2 rings up front, also use some sort of bashgaurd/ring protector. Am I missing something. I am not looking for weight loss--but my big ring weighs 80g and most bashgaurds are more than that (with a couple 80g+/- exceptions.) Anyway, sorry for the long post. Just looking for some clarification and I am betting the answer is a simple one. Thanks.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Rocks!

Around here, there are many rocks (drops, climbs, steps, etc.) Last week I was climbing up some, the back wheel slid out, and my big ring looked like a taco. I never used it, but it's 80 bones to replace. I just slid on a blackspire ring so I don't have to replace my middle ring as well. It only takes one hit to screw up your day.

later.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Rock, Logs, more rocks, more logs...you get the point right?

Also there is all the ring-bite tooth marks on the back of my left calf from the times I'm rushing and pushing my bike over something I couldn't clear but my partners did.

My bash gurad has quite a bit of impact and grinder marks, and has more than justified it's cost and weight several times over...and it's easy on the calves. :p

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I used to run a bashguard and a 3-ring setup. I kept bending the bashguard so that the chain wouldn't seat on the big ring anyway (this was before evil/e-13 and the plastic fanstastics). I still knock teeth off of my big ring occasionally but I try to have the chain on it for descents whenever possible. My xc bike is an enduro though, not a 5-spot, so I've got a lower BB to deal with.

I've also got a 7" travel bike with a 2 ring/bashguard setup. This one was definitely losing big ring teeth before I did this. But I also scrape the bashguard now so it is doing some good.

So the answer to your question.........just don't use one. You'll know pretty soon if you do end up needing it. :D

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
Self Defense

I don't use the big ring on my Spot anyway, and when I did run a big ring, it kept trying to bite my calves :eek: The 5 Spot lets me try things I wouldn't normally do, and as a result, the meat cleaver big ring developed a taste for my legs, so I got rid of it.

I'm running a RF Deus crank with the RF bashring. Kind of an odd setup (XC lightweight crank with a bash) but it works great :)

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
The increased clearance

principle1 said:
Sorry for the ignorant question. I searched a bit hear about which bashgaurds people prefer and how they set them up. My stupid question of the day is why use one at all. I did not shift a single time to my big ring up front last riding season. For the obvious benefits, I removed the big ring and shortened my chain. I left my derailer where it is (I have a 5-spot FWIW) and adjusted my set limit screw to prevent the chain from jumping off the middle ring. My question is this. If I did not need a guard when running the big ring, why would I need one when going with just the granny and middle? I have more clearance now, not less. Yet I know very few people (actually none) running bashgaurds with their big ring. Yet everyone I know running 2 rings up front, also use some sort of bashgaurd/ring protector. Am I missing something. I am not looking for weight loss--but my big ring weighs 80g and most bashgaurds are more than that (with a couple 80g+/- exceptions.) Anyway, sorry for the long post. Just looking for some clarification and I am betting the answer is a simple one. Thanks.
will allow you to attempt larger obstacles which could rip[ some teeth off your middle ring the same way obstacles bent the teeth on your big ring. I never use my big ring and havebeen using IT as the bash gaurd. Dont know how long thats goign to last..its getting pretty worked..

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
If you want something low profile and super light, you can just grind down a 44t ring like EndoRando did and I have done as a trouser guard on my 'round town singlespeed. It also helps keep the chain from getting tossed to the outside on rough descents.

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,120 Posts
Scroll down to the bottom of this page to the "Similar Threads" section and check out Jaybo's inquiry, titled "Do you miss your big ring?" for more discussion on the same topic.

Randy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.