Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I think we should go back
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I am really wondering this. Is it just for faster/smoother/more consistant shifting or what? I am going to the shop today and I am rather small and I have a 15" bike and I was going to buy like a 40-50mm stem for it. Should I buy a deore derailler they are selling for 40 dollars to reaplce my acera derailer? or should I get the stem instead?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
my acera was junk, no tension on the chain.. the deore was a bit better, but developed play quickly. the lx has given me no problems to date.

for actual offroad riding, id say the acera almost just doesnt work. its unacceptably poor.. but if you're not having problems, dont change it. mine failed pretty quickly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dial in the fit first, then worry about upgrades to the brakes and drivetrain.

The read der. is only one of several components that influence how a bike shifts. If the read der. has significant play about the bolt that attaches it to the frame or in the pivots within the mechanism, then it may be time to replace it. If there is not significant play in the derailure and you are having trouble shifting, it may just need a simple adjustment or cleaning, it could be time to clean or replace the cables and housing, or it could be that the shifters are worn or need cleaning.

Get the fit right, and while you are at the shop ask them to show you how to adjust the cable tension for the derailure if you do not know how to do it already. Then go from there.

·
I think we should go back
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha the bike is a week old and really has not seen much at all. Everything is snowy and I can not really test it on drops other than the dinky curb. It seems to be shifting alright but Sometimes when I am pedaling along uphill or going off a drop (2 ft) and don't really have a smooth landing the chain comes off one of the sprockets or at least feels like I shifted in the air when I land This gets annoying sometimes. Also, sometimes I do not know why the chain drags on the front derailler chain guide and it shifts or the chain comes off a chain ring more often on drops than the rear derailler.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Take it back to the shop after a couple of weeks. Shops around here typically do a free tune up sometime after the sale because new cables always stretch.

Chain rubbing on the front derailleur is not uncommon particularly if you are in a cross gear (small-small, large-large). These are generally ill advised combinations to ride in anyway.

If you are running in a small-small gear combo, you can expect lots of chain looseness. If you really are shifting off the front sprocket and dropping the chain, then the limit screw is probably not set right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.