Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help out with a delima; currently on a blur 4x that's been upgraded and trying to decipher fact and fiction on moving to a 5010 carbon.

The terrain consideration is TX which means steep little ups and downs, rocks to the west, roots to the east. Pedaling the bike is important for fun because there is no sustained descents. Quick handling is a benefit because most trails are twisty tight singletrack.

5010 is about a pound lighter. It's got slightly better geometry, but as a competent bike handler I wouldn't say it would be game changing (the L 5010 is 0.2" shorter chainstay, little taller bb, 1.5' on. HA and .5 on TT from current setup).

The 4x negatives are that it's a 1-1/8" headtube so fork options are limited (and that it would need 130fork to keep the SA in a usable spot). It has a slack seat tube angle. Not too much else negative, it's handling is good and in X01 with a dropper and 120 Reba 20mm Maxle it's only 27'ish.

The facts that need clarity are really:
1) Is the 5010 significantly stiffer?
2) does it have more anti-squat in a 38 (run a 38t XX1 10-42)?
3) is the newer VPP as good mid stroke (maybe better?)?

·
Registered
164 Posts
The 4X was a really cool bike but WOW the newer generation bikes are leaps and bounds better in pretty much every way. The guys that made that bike have just been getting better ever since. Best way to get a feel for that is to take one for a ride. Figure out where the closest SCB demo is happening near you and take a couple bikes out on trails you know.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had a 4X and then upgraded to a TRC...if the 5010 is similar to the TRC it will be significantly stiffer.....

The reason I upgraded was for the stiffness and 1lb lighter.....

I cannot really answer 2 or 3 since I ran my 4X with a coil/coil and run my TRC with air/air, but with the stock shock it blow's through the travel fairly easily, i've upgraded to a Monarch Plus.....

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. It's time to start saving and face the reality of re-lacing my wheels and a deciding on a new frame fork. The upside is that a 5010 (or bronson) and 2015 fox 36 are stiffer and lighter than my current setup. Maybe by next sea otter I'll be there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts