Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
I am running one of each and I asked the same question..

Why I almost DIDN'T do it..

Everyone said you have to refill every month, they lose air, etc..

Well I my TUBE tire loses more air, and I have not dismounted my tubeless since I bought it, not exactly sure how long it has been (6 months?).

As for pressure and flats, amazingly it is some sort of good luck charm since I have had no flats (with the tube or tubeless tire) since I put it on. Haven't been brave enough to lower the pressure that much, so no real difference other than less rolling weight at this point..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only flats I used to get were valve tear outs. These were from long descents on asphalt 30 - 40 mins. coupled with the heat from rim brakes I would get flats once a week. I tried baby powder to help it all slide....no good. What finally worked was a weak spray glue between the tube and the rim.
I've got a whole new ride now 29er w/disc brakes and so far so good but I can't help wonder if I should go tubeless to completely do away with that possibility.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I just returned to Tubeless after a 4 year hiatus. I got a set of UST Mavic CrossRoc's in 2002 and ran UST tires on it. Then in 2003, I got some Stan's and "experimented" with regular tires. I used a set of IRC Mythos Kevlar Beads...they blew off the rims a couple of times before I cut the sidewall on one (this was before Stans had his list of non-recommended tires). I then used a set of Michelin Hot S kevlar bead tires. They actually never blew off the rim but were incredibly difficult to air up and never held pressure all that well. Anyway, I continued to use UST tires until I sold my Hardtail in 2005 with the UST wheels and tires.

I'm now riding a 29er hardtail, and I have had a couple of pinch flats so I decided to do the tubeless thing again. After doing much research, I went with a Ghetto Tubeless setup. I made my own tubeless mixture and used a couple of my 26" lightweight tubes as my rim strips (on top of a layer of strapping tape). It works great and my total investment is about $20. I'm using Kenda Nevegal wire beaded tires and they mounted up quite easy and after two rides are holding air perfectly. I'm running them at 28psi with no issues, and they make my aluminum hardtail feel "plush".

·
one chain, two sprockets
355 Posts
Is everyone saying that going tubless puts flats behind you? If you do flat, can you fix it on the trail?

Without a spare tube/tire there are still several fixes to limp a tubed tire home, and I'm sure a few would work for tubless - it would just be a pain with that sealant on everything, working in the dirt....

Tom P.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
CupOfJava said:
And once you convert your tires to tubeless it's hard to clean the sealant off rims and tires so it'll be hard to go cleanly back to tubes.
Really? What sealant do you use? I find the 2/3 Stans 1/3 tire slime I use rinses right off with a hose if I do it as soon as I dismount the tire.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
one piece crank said:
Is everyone saying that going tubless puts flats behind you? If you do flat, can you fix it on the trail?

Without a spare tube/tire there are still several fixes to limp a tubed tire home, and I'm sure a few would work for tubless - it would just be a pain with that sealant on everything, working in the dirt....

Tom P.
I have had no flats in well over a year; that is the idea of tubeless, to eliminate punctures. I have four wheel sets, two for each bike, all tubeless with Stans/Slime I do carry a tube just in case I rip a sidewall, but that has not happened to me. There are posts from those who tear tires, so a boot and tube are a good idea.

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
slocaus said:
Really? What sealant do you use? I find the 2/3 Stans 1/3 tire slime I use rinses right off with a hose if I do it as soon as I dismount the tire.
Stans. I usually have dried sealant along the beads and the inside of the tires and rim after you take them off. I use a hose to clean them but the are small amounts of dried rubber everywhere and I have to pick them off one at a time. I must be a neat freak because just washing off the sealant doesn't work for me.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
CupOfJava said:
Stans. I usually have dried sealant along the beads and the inside of the tires and rim after you take them off. I use a hose to clean them but the are small amounts of dried rubber everywhere and I have to pick them off one at a time. I must be a neat freak because just washing off the sealant doesn't work for me.
Ah, the little goober strings. Yeah, but I can pick them off in just a minute or two, and I do not worry about the little flecks inside the tire. I tend to switch tires between summer and winter, so the summer tires will go back on in a few months. My tubeless rims are always mounted tubeless. I do clean the beads to make sure they will seal, but I just carefully run a screwdriver blade around them to clean out any goobers.

I have used tires with tubes, after letting the Stans dry, on a monster cross, and the flecks left over do not cause any problems.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
axolotl said:
Why do you use a mix? and why 2/3 to 1/3?
There is a great thread over in the 29er forum about the Best Tubeless Brew.

In that thread, the guys in the desert southwest, who deal with the most vile, flesh ripping, tire sidewall slashing thorns the size of your finger, cacti, jumping cholla, etc. have found that the Slime tubeless blend (not the tube kind) has bigger chunks to seal bigger holes. They have also found that adding glitter can plug bigger holes as well. They say that two parts Stans to 1 part Slime works best, so I tried it. Also the mix does not dry out as fast compared to Stans alone, so it is not necessary to recharge as often.

We do not get huge thorns like that here in central coastal California, but goats heads are the bane of bike tires here in the fall. After one ride I pulled out more than 20 thorns per tire, but no flats and no air loss. Plus the pastel green color goes with my Voodoo Canzo 29er frame. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
i am contemplating going tubeless and was convinced for long enough that it would be perfect but I have since become uncertain.

I would be converting existing NON tubeless rims to tubeless using Stans. The reason I wanted to do it was because I am building up a bike and at the minute so everything is kinda new and I am willing to try new things. I currently use dual ply tires with DH tubes which i changed from single ply tires and XC tubes. I used to flat all the time but I have yet to flat my current setup after 8 months riding. I also love the stability in corners of dual ply. Unfortuantely, this setup is rather heavy and definitely slowed my acceleration.

I was going to try tubeless in order to lighten my new build up (SX Trail) because I want to have wide tires which are heavy, especially in dual ply. I heard tubeless would allow me to accelerate quicker, is this correct? I was put off because of the potential mess from sealant if i did blow out and the stories about topping up etc. The reliability of my current setup is the only stopping me taking the plunge but at the same time it is harder to accelerate and this would obviously be exaggerated if i got even bigger tires and put them on a heavier bike.

·
Ride and Smile
736 Posts
sammyb304 said:
i am contemplating going tubeless and was convinced for long enough that it would be perfect but I have since become uncertain.

I would be converting existing NON tubeless rims to tubeless using Stans. The reason I wanted to do it was because I am building up a bike and at the minute so everything is kinda new and I am willing to try new things. I currently use dual ply tires with DH tubes which i changed from single ply tires and XC tubes. I used to flat all the time but I have yet to flat my current setup after 8 months riding. I also love the stability in corners of dual ply. Unfortuantely, this setup is rather heavy and definitely slowed my acceleration.

I was going to try tubeless in order to lighten my new build up (SX Trail) because I want to have wide tires which are heavy, especially in dual ply. I heard tubeless would allow me to accelerate quicker, is this correct? I was put off because of the potential mess from sealant if i did blow out and the stories about topping up etc. The reliability of my current setup is the only stopping me taking the plunge but at the same time it is harder to accelerate and this would obviously be exaggerated if i got even bigger tires and put them on a heavier bike.
I have been running tubeless with 2.5 Maxxis 2plys and it has been great. First I stopped pinch flatting and second, I am able to run lower pressure which provides the benefit of lower rolling resistance and greater traction. The increase in traction I have found to be amazingly good. I used to have to run 35lb or more to not pinch flat a lot. Now I can run 28-30lb and never pinch flat. You can flat with tubeless but the 2ply tires makes this much less likely to occur. I had my first season with no flats since I tried it!:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
axolotl said:
I have been running tubeless with 2.5 Maxxis 2plys and it has been great. First I stopped pinch flatting and second, I am able to run lower pressure which provides the benefit of lower rolling resistance and greater traction. The increase in traction I have found to be amazingly good. I used to have to run 35lb or more to not pinch flat a lot. Now I can run 28-30lb and never pinch flat. You can flat with tubeless but the 2ply tires makes this much less likely to occur. I had my first season with no flats since I tried it!:D
I was thinking of running with 2 Ply 2.5 High Rollers, it sounds like you highly recommend it. Is there a difference in acceleration when tubeless compared to when running heavy tubes and tires?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.