Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are, after all, cyclists.

These guys would be "Mountain bikers" if they were at some altitude:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I doubt it's anything official, but imagine it has something to do with the mountain bikers' desire to put as much distance between themselves and the roadie culture as possible.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i read a thread in here by one of the OGs talking about how back in the day they opened a shop in norcal that "built" these crazy fat tire offroad contraptions. the name of the shop was mountain bikes and it sort of stuck.

makes sense to me anyway.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The word 'biker' sounds more rebelious, friendly and approachable which flys well for many of us that ride off-road.

But to me the word 'cyclist' sounds too elitiests and I associate that title w/ roadies more often than I do those who ride off-road

·
Registered
522 Posts
stylie said:
The word 'biker' sounds more rebelious, friendly and approachable which flys well for many of us that ride off-road.

But to me the word 'cyclist' sounds too elitiests and I associate that title w/ roadies more often than I do those who ride off-road
Agreed.

·
Wiseass in real life too!
79 Posts
I would guess that more miles are put down off of mountains than on them. I have always though that off-road cyclist or some similar name would be more appropriate.

·
Registered
762 Posts
god forbid we be, even (perceived as) remotely similar as the idiot, friggen, "harley bikers"

·
Registered
821 Posts
At 48 years of age (in 2 days), I'm in no rush to grow up (outside of my professional life). I've been a mountain biker in one form or another pretty much all my adult life. It seems to me a "cyclist" yearns to be recognized as such by others. I'm happiest aboard my mountain "bike", leaving the rest of society behind for a few cherished hours, disappearing into the woods like a fart in the wind.

Mountain cyclist?...I think not.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
"MountainBikes" was the name of the first ever mountain bike company, hence the term we use for our bikes. It only seems logical that we would use a term for ourselves that matches

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
racerick said:
god forbid we be, even (perceived as) remotely similar as the idiot, friggen, "harley bikers"
My point exactly:

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Never in my life have I referred to a bike as a "cycle". Saying that, I've never referred to myself as a "mountain biker" either. We're just people who ride bikes; surely?

·
Retro on Steroids
2,996 Posts
boomn said:
"MountainBikes" was the name of the first ever mountain bike company, hence the term we use for our bikes. It only seems logical that we would use a term for ourselves that matches
Correct, and the attorney I paid to trademark the name "MountanBikes" for the use of myself and Gary Fisher botched the application. Even after that, for several years we bluffed the entire industry that we owned a trademark, to the point where Bicycling Magazine held a contest to decide what to call these bikes that couldn't be called "mountain bikes" without giving Gary and Charlie free advertising. The winner was "all-terrain bike (ATB)," the term in use today.

Okay, not so much.

In the end, after every bike company in the world started knocking off our original design, they took the name too. Apparently Gary and I had some good ideas, since they seem to have taken over the bicycle world.

·
Retro on Steroids
2,996 Posts
Let me add this. The first time the terms "MountanBikes" or "mountain bike" appeared in print was in this article written in 1979 about a month after Gary and I started our business 30 years ago. If you read it you will see that the reference is specific to our bike and not to the other similar bikes then being made.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Repack Rider said:
Let me add this. The first time the terms "MountanBikes" or "mountain bike" appeared in print was in this article written in 1979 about a month after Gary and I started our business 30 years ago. If you read it you will see that the reference is specific to our bike and not to the other similar bikes then being made.
Repack ! Stumbled on this thread, and was thinking who is this guy? Under profile your photo shows your bike with motorcycle perches and levers! Now that's freakin original stuff right there.

Note * If we start getting called mountain cyclists I will be damaged.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts