Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...Own a 2009 Rig. Bike is great.

For vanity's sake, I switched to a different post (with no setback). Here's where it gets a little weird.

I am able to achieve the same saddle position (relative to BB spindle and bars) using either post. BUT, even thought the saddle is in the same position, the bikes handles differently with the straight seatpost. Different in a bad way. I can't get my head around the "WHY?" of this. The steering is "twitchier". I feel "on top" instead of "in" the bike.

As soon as I put the stock seatpost on, and adjust it to my measurements (the same measurements as with the straight seatpost), the bike feels perfect. Natural, intuitive, comfortable.

Anyone have any ideas? It seems that all fisher 29er hardtails are sold with setback seatposts...does this have something to do with handling?

I would think that the exact same saddle position would result in the exact same handling. It doesn't seem to be the case.

Just curious. Something to do with G2 angles, perhaps?

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
badgermtb said:
OK...Own a 2009 Rig. Bike is great.

For vanity's sake, I switched to a different post (with no setback). Here's where it gets a little weird.

I am able to achieve the same saddle position (relative to BB spindle and bars) using either post. BUT, even thought the saddle is in the same position, the bikes handles differently with the straight seatpost. Different in a bad way. I can't get my head around the "WHY?" of this. The steering is "twitchier". I feel "on top" instead of "in" the bike.

As soon as I put the stock seatpost on, and adjust it to my measurements (the same measurements as with the straight seatpost), the bike feels perfect. Natural, intuitive, comfortable.

Anyone have any ideas? It seems that all fisher 29er hardtails are sold with setback seatposts...does this have something to do with handling?

I would think that the exact same saddle position would result in the exact same handling. It doesn't seem to be the case.

Just curious. Something to do with G2 angles, perhaps?
Sorry, but if your seat is in the spot relative to the frame there would be no difference. It depends on the measurements your taking. Are you using the measurements on the rails of the seat? That would be the wrong way to do it. Check the distance from the tip of the seat to the headset cap bolt. Then measure the distance the distance from the crank bolt to the top of the seat by way of the seat tube. If you are using the same seat and these measurements are the same the only difference is in your head.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. Measuring correctly. Exaclty as you mentioned.

I was thinking it maybe had something to do with weight distribution? Who knows.

I think you are probably right..it's all in my head!

Thanks.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Yeah, head trip kinda thing. Same as if you had a post shaped as a candy cane or a helix. Same as if you had a high rise stem and fat bars vs. a low rise stem and riser bars. What ultimately matters are the final location of the part that you interface with.

In answer to your other question, I think manufacturers choose a seat tube angle and post to fit the greatest percentage of riders. If they set it up to fit the majority by specing a setback post, then the next largest segment of riders might be fit by switching to a straight post.

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
Nater said:
Actually, G2 has a fairly slack seat tube angle, so I found I needed a straight post to get the right saddle position.
Dude, you must be messed up, I always need a 20mm setback post with the seat pushed back. What is wrong with you? I seriously would question even riding a bike if I was you. Maybe you should get into golf?

BTW, tell the wife I said "hi".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.