Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been biking for around a year now, and I started thinking about this. I can't find an answer for myself. Why do Rim brakes use the really soft rubber and disc brakes use Semi Metallic pads? :confused: I mean, if disc brakes have better stopping power (from my experience they do) then why not use disc brake material on rim brakes? Sorry for the noob question but the search function did not help me this time.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
b4 stealth said:
I have been biking for around a year now, and I started thinking about this. I can't find an answer for myself. Why do Rim brakes use the really soft rubber and disc brakes use Semi Metallic pads? :confused: I mean, if disc brakes have better stopping power (from my experience they do) then why not use disc brake material on rim brakes? Sorry for the noob question but the search function did not help me this time.
Rim brakes operate with lower clamping force than disc brakes and (usually) on a different metal type. A softer compound is required for the brake to function.

The smaller diameter of disc rotors requires much higher levels of clamping force and harder pad compounds to withstand the pressure and heat. Such compounds are not suited for use on aluminum.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
That's pretty much it...

A difference in materials the braking surfaces are made of between the two and the difference in diameter of the "rotor".

A semi metalic brake pad would chew through the aluminum rim brake surface of a wheel is very short order! The pad would likely out last the wheel!

Good Dirt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.