Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could some one explane why OS handlebars and stems, why the extra stiffness there? I can see in the bb and head tube and fork area and my superfly is plenty stiff there, lots are goin with the flex in the seatpost but why not in the bars, my fsa k force is way to stiff on the superfly. Ive been runing and a standerd 660 salsa carbon bar on with my ridgid carbon fork on my SS and i love it and now im thinking of putting one on my superfly? why not?

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
I think it is more marketing than hype. Sure the OS stuff is probably a bit stiffer so it can be used as a selling point. Mostly I think the OS size has standardized stems for the manufacturers so they can have 1 stem model for both road and mtb.

G

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
G-Live prob has it right as far as standardization goes, but also you don't need to run some super fancy expensive bar in 31.4 bar size to get stiffness. I know my 25.4 Easton EA30 bar flexes like a biotch, but a similar bar in OS is just fine. I will say though that I really like the old thomson stem for 25.4, where there's no where sharp/hard edged to smack your knee on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The reason is marketing. For carbon fiber, teh bigger size makes it easier to make bars and it also makes it easier for the stem to grip the bar (more grip surface). That's not the marketing part. That comes in when a customer sees a mega buck bike with a fatso bar and the cheaper bikes with normal bars. Soon, the marketing guy at the bicycle company thinks he can make his bikes look more expensive by fatso-izing the bar so it looks more similar to the mega buck bike. Presto. Heavier, but better (?)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuey

·
Registered
644 Posts
As you double tube size od you get three times the strength (assuming constant material thickness, etc). I personally think 31.8 looks way better than 25.4 or 26.0 bars. BTW, we'll see if 31.8 slows down Garmin Chipotle since they switched from Oval Concepts to
3T components this year (at least I think it's 3T). Oval Concept supplied most bars in 26.0 for them citing less frontal surface for aerodynamics blah, blah, blah.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What do you mean by "facts"? One fact is that bars around one inch in diameter (25.4,26.0,26.4) have a long history of working well. There is a new material being developed and there are some characteristice specific to that material that make the larger size worth the trade offs.

With some carbon fiber bars on the market, you are actually gripping the bar on the clear coat. A larger surface helps spread the gripping load between bar and stem. For an example of the problems associated with "grippability" of a lightweight carbon fiber part, take the seatpost issue as a precurser of the particular shortcomings of treating carbon fiber the same way you would aluminum. Carbon seatposts often suffer from slippage. The clamping force of the seatpost clamp relies on the post having integrity of the wall to allow it to be held in place. Some carbon posts deform when the clamp squeezes them and that allows them to slip down. That usually leads to more tightening in an attempt to stop the slipping and that often results in delamination/failure of the seatpost in the area it is clamped. In other words, what works for one material may not be ideal for another.

See my previous quote for at least one theory as to why you are seeing inappropriate "technology" applied to aluminum handlebars.

If, by "facts" you desire good techno sounding engineering speak with figures, charts and the like, I have just wasted your time, sorry. That is what is going on as far as I can tell.

Using a heavier than necessary part is not the end of the world. 31.8 has its place and it will show up in other places because of human nature being exploited by marketers. It is similar to, but more benign than a solo driver choosing a huge vehicle to commute to work in.

Chuey

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
There's an advantage to OS in that there is more clamping area and the bar is MUCH less likely to rotate.
There is no longer any price difference.
If you're buying new bars you might as well go with the size that has an advantage.
But, if you already have 25.4 bars, run what you brung.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well ive never had a bar rotate, im just getting at the fact at the end of a 3 hr ride my arms are less tired with the 25.4 salsa bar, i feel it has the same effect as a 27.2 post vs say 31.8 seatpost, the extra flex helping...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.