Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Crank monkey
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems lots of folks here have the 705, but there doesn't seem to be much about the 605.

I'm considering getting a 605, I've compared them online and I know what their features are. I just don't need (or want) the HRM and/or cadence. I suspect there are a lot of others in the same boat.

Just curious. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
29 Posts
If one doesn't need the fitness functions, wouldn't one consider one of non-fitness ones like the Etrex Vista HcX. The latter also has a barometric altimeter as does the 705 which helps a lot in recording elevation. It is a bunch cheaper than the 605.

·
GeoMan
1,706 Posts
Yep, there are a lot of folks just like you but there are millions that like the 705 even more...

It was the same with the Edge 205 & 305's...

If you think you might want to sell your Edge at some point in the distant future (to upgrade, etc.), the 705 will have a much larger audience.

·
3D guy
339 Posts
You REALLY want a baro altimeter if you are doing any climbing and want to track either vertical velocity or amount climbed. GPS altitude sucks (not because of the GPS receiver but because of the basic system design and angles involved). I have a Forerunner with no Alt and a Edge with Alt. I always ignore the forerunner alt (use motion based or known alt but always believe the Edge.

·
Person
775 Posts
I got a 605 for Christmas and was pretty dispointed to find out it does not have the barometric altimeter. Trying to figure out now if I can exchange it at the LBS, but they don't have anything else in stock. I'd be happy with a 305 right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.