Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this is a bit of a rant and also a question. What reason do people have for posting more than one review of the same bike??? I've read reviews ranging from "Well I took the bike out of the box and it looks really cool! 5 out of 5" with a follow up review that may or may not be coherent to the actual bike: to "This bike took a little while getting shipped here but I haven't ridden it at all yet or even put it together 1 out of 5"........then their second review is an actual review" to "This bike is awesome and I really like it! 5 out of 5".........then they say the EXACT same things about how they still like the bike.

Do people not realize that others actually USE the ratings and average scores in their bike buying decisions? If you haven't ridden the bike enough to give a full review then wait until you can, don't write two. If UPS lost your bike for a while or something of that sort don't give it a 1 out of 5 because you're feeling spiteful. And if a bike was good the first time you wrote a review then why do people need to know that it's still good a month later?

Maybe I'm in the minority but I find this annoying and inconsiderate to abuse the ratings that people use to make relatively important decisions.

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Well, all I have to say is worry about bigger things. There's to many things wrong with everything, so if you just don't worry about it then life will be much easier. Don't get me wrong, I am just like you, and those kind of things make me mad.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Well, my reaction to this post is that you're whining... but I'll come back and read the posts in a few days and add another comment after others have chimed in. :D

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,899 Posts
That's why opinions should help to narrow down you're descision to a handful of bikes and then try them out on your own from that point on. Everyone's tastes are so subjective that to me a review coming from anybody "official (ie magazine reviewers and the like)" or unofficial is simply a "hey, I'll check it out and LOOK at it. Not BUY it on the spot."
Ehhh --shrugging shoulders-- don't care enough to worry about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
skiahh said:
Well, my reaction to this post is that you're whining... but I'll come back and read the posts in a few days and add another comment after others have chimed in. :D
Well a rant is a less girly word for whining so I suppose you're not far off there.

But for me the reviews do kind of mean buy it on the spot because I'm too broke to buy things at my LBS so I do almost all my shopping online. Maybe noone else does this but it sure is a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Most reviews here are a joke--- like giving a bike a rating of 3 because of a flat tire during the first week of riding it. Another made a comment that his bike's seat was too high!

The other issue is that a lot of negative reviews are people with an ax to grind-- like I purchased my bike used on ebay, and it was already beat up. I then broke the chainstay after a bad landing on a 40 ft. drop. The maker won't replace the frame for me. Don't ever buy from company X again.

or- Wheelset X is complete crap. My bike fell off my hitch rack and the front wheel was run over by a bus and cannot be trued! :nono:

The tire reviews are my favorites...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have to say I agree, but

You can't control other people (if I could, only 20% of those with a valid drivers license would still have one). In the past, the alternative was ... nothing.

If you are lucky, you can find someone who was thoughtful in their review(s) and it helps you make a good decision.

·
Photog Cyclist.
401 Posts
I read all reviews with a grain of salt---if it is well written--good grammar--and on point then I read it--if it reads like it was written by a 16y.o. with a lobotomy then I move on. The reviews are just a guide--I don't take much stock of one review, but look for trends---if 10 people have had the same part fail in the same way, well there might be something to that. But reviews on tires, chain, and saddles are worthless. Just a thought.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I also take some of the reviews with a grain of salt, unless they are well-written and truly critical of the expensive POS, er, bike that was purchased. Who is going to drop a lot of coin on a bike and then rip it to shreds? If the review has some balance to it, I give it more credence, whether it be for a saddle, derailleurs, frame, whole bike, or whatever else. -GT2005 :)

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
tibug said:
Well, all I have to say is worry about bigger things. There's to many things wrong with everything, so if you just don't worry about it then life will be much easier. Don't get me wrong, I am just like you, and those kind of things make me mad.
true dat.....

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Agreed

I've found the reviews to be very useful overall, but you have to dig patiently for the meaningful & intelligent ones - those have rarely (if ever) steered me wrong. Look for trends in the reviews; don't get stuck in the qweepy details & gripes.

I've contacted (PM or email) several reviewers to answer more specific questions or just to get an update -- in every case, they were very helpful to me.

If you are on the boards here long enough, you'll notice who here knows what they are talking about and has good experience & knowledge to speak from.

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I too don't even bother with the ridiculous reviews whenever I read through them but when I'm searching a certain section for something I want to buy I have to look at their average scores first to narrow the field and I don't even bother with products that don't meet my score standard. So there might be something perfectly suited to my needs but I never even saw it because the average score was thrown off by some idiot who's out to prove something and not out to inform.

Oh and I just read another one written by a kid I saw who had an argument in one of the brand specific forums who gave a bike he's never owned or ridden a 1 out of 5. Now that average score is around three when it should be at five, all because he doesn't like the people that ride that brand. It's nice to see such maturity.

But I don't think the world is going to end because of this. It's just a pet peeve of mine and I am complaining about it and probably giving it too much attention but never the less, I don't think I'm the ONLY person who is bothered by this.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:
I have noticed this happens to some extent and agree. But as others said don't worry about it so much because it is an area that will never be correctable. MTBR will never have a moderator, say, go in and combine the offending reviews.
Oh no! Things here aren't moderated for our safe reading! Gasp! We must be protected by the moderation powers! :rolleyes:

One of the things I like about this site is that it is lightly moderated, in comparison to so many other bike sites. God forbid people actually read things on their own, and decide for themselves.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
um..

You are very confused. I didn't say it needs to be moderated; all I said was that would never happen anyway. Huge difference in what you think I meant.

scrublover said:
Oh no! Things here aren't moderated for our safe reading! Gasp! We must be protected by the moderation powers! :rolleyes:

One of the things I like about this site is that it is lightly moderated, in comparison to so many other bike sites. God forbid people actually read things on their own, and decide for themselves.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.