Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't get it. Bar ends to me are a HUGE advantage, yet I don't see them on too many bikes at the endurance races. I almost feel like I am letting some in on a secret here...:eek:

I watched Lance Armstrong dominate the Leadville 100 2009....no bar ends. I don't get it.

The bar ends I use are Control Tech Carbons...super duper light...I can't imagine people choose not to use them to save a tiny bit of weight.

Back in the 90's..everyone had them. What happened?

NOTE: I would like to hear ONLY from those who have used bar ends...no offense, but it is what it is...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Most people don't use them, so I'm afraid people would think I wasn't cool if I used them

·
Registered
594 Posts
for me it was the 'wider bar revelation'. I switched for better downhill control but find that I get the same climbing leverage from the xtra width (I insist on 26" wide bars now days).

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rideandshoot said:
for me it was the 'wider bar revelation'. I switched for better downhill control but find that I get the same climbing leverage from the xtra width (I insist on 26" wide bars now days).
Do you think, in your opinion, that a flat 26" bar is equally effective on climbs as using bar ends? How about a 26" bar with bar ends vs. without?? Just want some opinions on this...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Can't imagine not having bar ends. Like the saying goes... "give me bar ends or give me death!" Or something like that, I always screw it up, but it's SOMETHING like that. Plus you know what they call people who don't use bar ends, right? OK, there's no real name for them... BUT THERE WILL BE! THIS I SWEAR TO YOU!

·
Registered
594 Posts
rydbyk said:
Do you think, in your opinion, that a flat 26" bar is equally effective on climbs as using bar ends? How about a 26" bar with bar ends vs. without?? Just want some opinions on this...
For me the leverage of a 26" bar is about equal to a 23" bar with bar ends. The longer bars have more sweep so I have never tried bar ends on the wide bars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bar ends definitely are an advantage. I believe they fell out of fashion...and in this case, fashion is still dominating over function.

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
I was big into straight bars and bar ends for a few years, then i tried risers for a while when the craze for them kicked off. I tried out bar ends for an enduro again this season, and i don't think i'll ever go back to risers, the different hand positions is a god send. They feel good on techy downhills, but the advantages of risers for me is still alot better.

I really want to buy the Ergon race ones though, i've had a short ride on them and they feel amazing.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kid Riemer said:
Bar ends definitely are an advantage. I believe they fell out of fashion...and in this case, fashion is still dominating over function.
I agree, but how do you explain Lance's decision, for example, to NOT use bar ends on during the Leadville.... seems like he might know something we don't? Afterall, he DID win.

·
A guy on a bike
997 Posts
I bought a new bike this summer, and it came without bar ends. After riding for a month, I went out and bought a pair. On steep climbs, I feel stronger using them--although I have no idea if I'm actually faster. I also really like to change hand positions on longer flat rides.

I suppose that down-hill and extremely technical riders don't have much need for them--and they might even be dangerous!

Try both ways, and use what works!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've always used bar-ends and still do, fashion be damned. A wider bar is good, but a wider bar with bar-ends is even better. The extra hand positions cannot be ignored.

·
Registered
594 Posts
rydbyk said:
I agree, but how do you explain Lance's decision, for example, to NOT use bar ends on during the Leadville.... seems like he might know something we don't? Afterall, he DID win.
Dang... I already removed my bar ends and I'm still slow. Now I'll never be as fast as Lance:madman:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do you see any women using Bar Ends?

Why more people don't use Bar Ends, I don't know. However, I've turned many a rider on to them. Back in the '90s with all the slammed front ends they were a prerequisite. Now, Bar Ends are almost an anomaly. I dropped mine about 9 years ago to race 'cross. After owning a dedicated 'cross bike for several years it hit me to try them out again. At the same time I was transitioning into Endurance riding, and WOW:eek: , good thing I did. Being a female, I've always lacked some upper body strength. Bar Ends give me a chance to use what control I have AND give me multiple hand positions to allow my puny muscles a rest. I run a LOW rise riser bar on both my rides (both Full suspension), Old school Titecs on my Epic and Specialized carbon Bar Endz (very NICE and ergowise!!!) on my Era.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why people insist it was a fashion thing I have no idea?

Back in the day mountain bike rides and races contained lots of long, continuous fireroad climbs and no real technical sections by todays standards. Long climbs, lots of fireroads, crap brakes, no suspension meant a lot of hand fatigue. Bar ends were an inevitable addition to the mountain bike as hands needed frequent rotation of position to reduce fatigue, and the tracks/courses provided ample oppotunity to make use of them.

I remember wanting some bar ends before they were even invented.

Flash forward to today and we have suspension, awesome brakes, tracks that are highly technical with a lot more braking required. Tighter, shorter tracks with little fire road and short climbs. Bar ends fell away as they are simply no longer required except on flatbar trouring / commuting bikes.

I stuck with bar ends for a long time but ditched them about 4 years ago when super tight twisty single track courses became popular here is the aussie bush. Bar ends were a liability for getting hooked up on trees and tossing you off the track.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Junkyard said:
Why people insist it was a fashion thing I have no idea?

Back in the day mountain bike rides and races contained lots of long, continuous fireroad climbs and no real technical sections by todays standards. Long climbs, lots of fireroads, crap brakes, no suspension meant a lot of hand fatigue. Bar ends were an inevitable addition to the mountain bike as hands needed frequent rotation of position to reduce fatigue, and the tracks/courses provided ample oppotunity to make use of them.

I remember wanting some bar ends before they were even invented.

Flash forward to today and we have suspension, awesome brakes, tracks that are highly technical with a lot more braking required. Tighter, shorter tracks with little fire road and short climbs. Bar ends fell away as they are simply no longer required except on flatbar trouring / commuting bikes.

I stuck with bar ends for a long time but ditched them about 4 years ago when super tight twisty single track courses became popular here is the aussie bush. Bar ends were a liability for getting hooked up on trees and tossing you off the track.
Depends on where you ride. Trails here in San Diego have not changed...just the use of bar ends.:confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
no need for barends for the kind of mountainbiking i do today. they would even get in the way.

Depends on where you ride.
true. many people ride different terrain than a few years back.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts