Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a used bike and have seen a few 2004 and 2005 Enduros lately for right around $1,000. Every 04-06 Stumpjumper I have seen is usually at least $500-800 more. Is there anything wrong with the Enduros? Why are they so much less than a Stumpjumper?

Also side question, when did the Enduro become more of an all mountain bike instead of a freeride bike?

·
Huh?
344 Posts
The Enduros are lighter, stronger, have more travel and arguable sexier than the Stumpies of old. They are better deals; everyone has heard of Stumpjumpers and know that the difference isn't too big from 08-04. The Enduro SL's difference compared to a 03 is massive.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The enduros kinda started as an AM bike back on '00 or so. They seemed to always fit that bill, until the 05-07 models, where they loosely shared the design with the SX Trail, a dedicated FR bike. These enduros were failry beefy and many people are using them for everything form XC to FR. Spec re-engineered the Enduro line into the SL in 07, leaning back towards the AM side of things.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is 04 much different than 05?

bad andy said:
The enduros kinda started as an AM bike back on '00 or so. They seemed to always fit that bill, until the 05-07 models, where they loosely shared the design with the SX Trail, a dedicated FR bike. These enduros were failry beefy and many people are using them for everything form XC to FR. Spec re-engineered the Enduro line into the SL in 07, leaning back towards the AM side of things.
Based on that, would you choose an 04 or an 05 for a general AM bike. Sounds like it was 05 when they started to become more of a freeride bike?

I looked at the geometries on the Specialized website, but I didn't notice much of a difference between the two years.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The 02 to 04 Enduro frames (at least here in the US) have more of a "sheet metal" look, similar to the older FSR-XC bikes. I think that the 02/03 Enduro frames had a problem with a weld cracking at the top tube/seat tube junction. Then the 05+ frames had cracking problems around the chainstay area. So I'm guessing that the frame defect problem probably lowers the resale value. I'm also guessing that Enduros get beat up more than a SJ, so that might also contribute to the lower resale.

I'm got an 04 Enduro, which I think is the "good" year. I haven't heard of any frame defects and it's also lighter than the 05+ models. I think of it as a beefed up SJ. It rides pretty good for XC use, but since I have a SJ and ride mostly XC, I'm probably going to sell it.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
I sold my 2006 enduro for $1000 about half of what I paid . Anyways it did get beat up a bit and rode harder than any stumpy would have .

Also in 2005 they had both style enduros. The old style and the style that is like the current sxtrail.

I would go for the one that looks like the current sxtrail frame.

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Rock Climber said:
Why are they so much less than a Stumpjumper?
Maybe it's because the Stumpy's of that era still look a lot like the '07 Stumpy, whereas the Enduro's monocoque frame looks distinctly early-2000's? People are funny about that sort of thing.

Also, to help you decide between the generations of Enduro, the '02-'05 frames had 130mm of travel and are a lot more cross country feeling compared with the '05-'07 SX'y frames with 150mm. I had both frames with the same build (150mm fork), and the '06 felt indestructable.

Here's the '06 at Northstar last year:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.