Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Trying to find Flow
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally like the idea of a not-quite-dual-suspension approach to 29ers. I mean, the larger diameter wheels give you more control and allow you to roll over objects more efficiently; do you really need dual suspension on top of that if you're aiming for a race-able, lightweight epic rider.

Here's what I like about the Dos Niner:
  • Really light for a frame with a shock, like hardtail light
  • apparently a stiff and efficient climbing platform, like a hardtail
  • has just enough suspension to take out the sting, unlike a hardtail
  • no complex linkages and bushings to maintain
  • it's NOT a Niner, so not everyone and their uncle has one
  • that new orange paint job.....sweet.
Yet I popped into my LBS, one that I trust on this stuff above all others(*ahem* The Path), and Brian kinda knocked it, as did a riding buddy of mine. The main criticism was the "geometry". Squeezing out a little more info, apparently the seat tube is really tall, so you don't have a lot of seatpost showing. I didn't even notice when looking at the pics, but that boils down to aesthetics. I really don't care about that. Another potential issue is a lack of compliance for guys who don't weigh a lot. I'm a buck fifty, and B was sayin' I'm not gonna activate the suspension much. Any feedback from lightweights?

I don't really want another aluminum hardtail. I'm not really into getting another big travel dual suspension bike. A sweet custom steel HT would be sweet, but I want something built for performance. What are my options?

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
1,197 Posts
Who cares, buy what you like or want, it's your money.
One thing that is cool about the DOS, is that I have at least one friend who successfully is using it as an SS using an ENO rear hub.

The travel is little enough to keep good tension but also enough to smooth out the terrain!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Honestly, I love the Dos. I'm 5'9" and this is a small frame. I don't think it looks unpleasant with the amount of seat post that's exposed (see pic below) . It's a great frame. Fast, climbs wonderfully, love to fly, and looks even better in orange (although I'm also partial to the bright green of the 05). It's one bike I know I'll never get rid of.

And yes, Niner is popular and lots of people have their bikes, but there's something to be said about that. They are great bikes! (I don't have one, but thought I should put in a plug for Niner.)

Good luck with the decision.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Why SHOULDN'T I get a Dos Niner

Because you will go broke trying to outfit a nice ride like that with the best parts. And your significant other will get mad at you for spending more time with the bike than with her. Other than that there is no reason. Get it if you like it.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Wait just a minute.

dosboy said:
and loved it, but honestly- with a ti layback seatpost, and ti railed saddle, it feels the same as the 1 " of travel on the dos...I'd invest the money you'd put into the frame into a post and new saddle, and get a hardtail frame...:thumbsup:
Are you going to tell me that your current bike feels just like a Dos Niner when your standing up off the saddle over the rough stuff? :rolleyes:

Patchito: I hear you on the weight issue and rear damper activation. I would recommend zero air presssure in the Relish and try that out. I weigh 240 lbs and run 20 psi in mine and I can get all the travel at least a couple times during my off road excursions. I suspect that from what I know of others experiences, you would run no or very little air pressure in the spring. This might sound weird, but when you realize that the chainstays are your main spring and the Relish is there for damping and a bit of additional spring if needed, it makes sense.

There is no way a hardtail will ride like the Dos. I don't care if you've got carbon fiber/titanium/bouncy seatpost whatcha macallits it ain't no Dos Niner. I've ridden a Mamasita too, and while that is a nice riding bike, it doesn't even compare to my Dos Niner.

For what you are describing, you are either going with a Dos or a Moots. There are a couple smaller builders doing sof tails too, but Moots and Salsa have theirs pretty dialed.

Good luck!

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
Hindsight being what it is, I would've just gotten a hardtail - I've got the Relish pumped up so close to max it basically rides like a hardtail anyway. I still love my Dos, though!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Patchito said:
I don't really want another aluminum hardtail. I'm not really into getting another big travel dual suspension bike. A sweet custom steel HT would be sweet, but I want something built for performance. What are my options?
In addition to the Dos, you might want to check out the Speedgoat Asylum / Titus Racer-X 29er. More travel than the Dos, but still a racy efficient ride.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I own both the Asylum and Dos, the Asylum is a bomb proof rocket ship that just rips through everything. when set up right the 2 1/2 of rear travel seems more like 4 or 5. The frame is super stiff, very fast and such a joy to ride. The only downfall maybe the weight factor, you will have to get creative and dip into the wallet to get anything under 25 lbs.
When i first saw the Dos i thought it was just butt ugly, then i rode it. No geo problems, i run a med frame, 100mm stem. I'm 5-10" buy the way. The bike is super light, handles fantastic and can you say fast!!!!!
Run the damper with zero air and trust me you will love this bike, plus the price is cheap compaired to anything else of that Quality. After running my Dos into the ground for a full 8 months the next bike i'll get would be another Dos....I think that says enough.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a Dos too and I think all of them but the XL are ugly.

I used to think that Nomads were super ugly bikes and then I realized it might work well for me and found a great deal on one. Now I know it's a great bike and the looks don't bother me at all. Bottom line don't worry too much about appearances.

That said, I don't think you'll find the softtail to be a replacement for real suspension, it just makes things a little less harsh which is plenty for some people.

Personally I think the Asylum is a good option too.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Hi Nate!

Now for you Patchito, welcome back from F-88.

You should get the Dos because the tall ST will keep you in touch with your inner roadie on every ride. Plus, it's a really cool bike.

p.s. my uncle has a Dos Niner. =)

·
luddite
212 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
I would recommend zero air presssure in the Relish and try that out.
+1 GT.

I weigh in at 175 lbs and I have been steadily decreased the pressure on my relish from 50psi to about 10psi over the last few months. With zero-psi it still rides great but I bottom out a little too often. If you're 150 I think z-psi would do you just right.

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
here is why

Don't buy a Dos because it is ugly. I swear it looks like farm equipment. That's why I got a Mamasita. That is also why I now have a bulging L4-L5 disk pushing on the nerve running all the way down my left leg causing pain and numbness - and why I'm taking Prednisone and Vicadin. Well, maybe.

I have no experience with the Dos Niner, but I believe the soft-tail 29er is the best design for tall riders who sort of race XC or race endurace XC. I rode with a guy on a Moots and he was getting lots (well, 1/4") of bob on his soft-tail, don't know what was up with that.

If you really race XC (and I think you do - didn't I meet you at Sagebrush?) then stick with a tight 26" FS bike. Even Ryan Trebon still races a 26" bike - and Kona makes 29" hardtails.

Oh, options - the Niner Jet9, might be a good option. I saw one and was impressed, but you have to get over the whole bearing pivot maintenance issue. There is also a full carbon GF hardtail coming soon. Maybe you should wait until after the bike show season and make a decision then.

Patchito said:
I personally like the idea of a not-quite-dual-suspension approach to 29ers. I mean, the larger diameter wheels give you more control and allow you to roll over objects more efficiently; do you really need dual suspension on top of that if you're aiming for a race-able, lightweight epic rider.

Here's what I like about the Dos Niner:
  • Really light for a frame with a shock, like hardtail light
  • apparently a stiff and efficient climbing platform, like a hardtail
  • has just enough suspension to take out the sting, unlike a hardtail
  • no complex linkages and bushings to maintain
  • it's NOT a Niner, so not everyone and their uncle has one
  • that new orange paint job.....sweet.
Yet I popped into my LBS, one that I trust on this stuff above all others(*ahem* The Path), and Brian kinda knocked it, as did a riding buddy of mine. The main criticism was the "geometry". Squeezing out a little more info, apparently the seat tube is really tall, so you don't have a lot of seatpost showing. I didn't even notice when looking at the pics, but that boils down to aesthetics. I really don't care about that. Another potential issue is a lack of compliance for guys who don't weigh a lot. I'm a buck fifty, and B was sayin' I'm not gonna activate the suspension much. Any feedback from lightweights?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Patch.. I haven't read the rest of the responses, but I'm a chick, so I weigh less than you do. My rear shock is set at about 3psi or something insanely low like that ;) Still works great.

Brian is correct... there is not much seat post showing, which means there's really no room to put the saddle down. I've definitely learned how to get behind the saddle with it up where I climb on it. Not the most confidence inspiring, but it works ;) Helped me get down Motorway just fine.

I thoroughly enjoy mine for climbing. Admittedly, I haven't been riding it much lately, but that's because I've been doing rides geared (for me) toward my 6" FS bike and my new DH bike. I will probably be riding my Dos this weekend at SART, though. Especially since I got a new WIDE flat bar for it, and still want to try out my Ergon grips/bar ends that I've had for months.

It climbs really well. I bought mine and used it for Counting Coup this past March. It ain't gonna descend like my Enduro, but it climbs SO much better.

It sounds like it'd be a good bike for your purposes, though.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Motivated said:
Oh, options - the Niner Jet9, might be a good option. I saw one and was impressed
I was just gonna suggest that also. Once they are available I think they'll be popular.

Niner is still not Trek, if that's what you are worried about. They're a good company, and local.

If I traded my Dos for anything, it'd be the Jet9. It just looks pimp :D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts