Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honest question - don't know much about them, like the look of them and the fact that they aren't common in the UK,

Go on convince me I want one :)

I ride...well I ride, just normal rides, don't do big jumps but I like a bit of suspension to cover my ass for when I inevitably mess things up....

Ride a 5" light ish full suss at the moment - an Ellsworth Epiphany - great bike but I just suffer from an impulsive disorder that makes me swap bikes often....

cheers

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
You're buying another one? What are you getting?

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
One reason not to buy a Ventana.

justa said:
- great bike but I just suffer from an impulsive disorder that makes me swap bikes often....

cheers
It pretty much cures that.

I don't want another XC machine after buying my Feugo.

JmZ

But... I could use a longer travel bike. ;)

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Huh? Did you send your current frame back to be modified? What was wrong with it in the first place?

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
stripes said:
After you ride a Ventana, you'll never go back :D You'll either end up upgrading to another Ventana or end up with a quiver of bikes like some folks :D

Here's my reasons for buying Ventana (I'm in the process of purchasing a second one):

1) The quality cannot be beat. The bike is the stiffest bike I've ever ridden.
2) Where many manufacturers are sending production overseas for cheaper labour, Ventana does everything in house.
3) Frames are done on stock geometry, semi-custom geometry, or full custom. The semi-custom is really great, especially if you want to tweak something with your current frame (such as an X-brace for strength or better standover, different seat tube or top tube length, etc). They also provide upgrades like different paint jobs, etc.
4) The wait time does not seem to be as long for something like a Santa Cruz (6+ months in some cases, and they don't even send the right one!) or Titus that are not made with the same quality control.
5) Their customer support is the second-to-none.
6) Many of their frames are very versatile. Several of the full suss designs can be either 4in, 5in, or 6in of travel.
7) From what I hear the UK Ventana support is over the moon.
8) Ventana frames are just plain SEXY ;)
9) Ventana pivot designs (especially lower main) are built for mtn biking (check over mfgs pivots)
10) You will be cured of that nasty impulsive disorder (I was, the only bike I long for is a dirt jumper)
11) You can get it painted any color you want....customs are extra but just to have that choice is reason enough. How does an Army Green El Ciclon sound.....perfect

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
People will always lust after it and you will never lust after their bikes.
It's hard to upgrade after riding a Ventana thus saving you money.
The owner is a hell of a decent human being.
Customer service is awesome.
Ventana are very laterally stiff- after them, most others feel like noodles unless they are way overbuilt.
The quality is unbeatable- quality of welding, quality of materials, quality of paint.
You will never get tired of looking at your Ventana.

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Ah...I see. Now it's just important that you get out there and ride the hell out of this thing. I'm bummed that there will be no riding for me this weekend...bronchitis. :(

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
I agree with most everything above. The one thing not mentioned is that Ventana's handling is superior to most everything out there. Sherwood knows geometry and how to build a bike!

That, coupled with the lateral stiffness and suspension design adds up to a bike that out performs anything out there.

To quote me, " When you're through f*@kin' around, you call Sherwood!" :thumbsup:

D.

·
Registered
410 Posts
JmZ said:
One reason not to buy a Ventana.

It pretty much cures that.

I don't want another XC machine after buying my Feugo.

JmZ

But... I could use a longer travel bike. ;)
I agree, i was always one to change frames ( specialized, 2 titus & a turner) now that i have the X5 i really have no desire for any other bike ( well maybe a racer x or flux as a 2nd bike ) but as far as 5" trailbike it would be another ventana

·
Registered
44 Posts
Before I bought my El Salt I hadn't really considered a Ventana, I had arrange for a test ride of a Yeti 575, Turner 5-Spot, Blur LT, but was let down badly by a shop. I phoned Alan at Riverside, the importer in the UK and he was the complete opposite, I arranged a test ride the next day, he took me out for a decent ride to make sure I had enough time on the bike and he let the bikes performance speak for itself. I've owned the El Salt for three years and Like some of the others have said I went on to buy another Ventana later (X5). I do look at other bikes and think that I would like one of those, but there is something special about a Ventana, bit like owning a ferrari, there are other cars that will perform the same but you get the heritage and exclusivity. Ventana's new range looks as good to me as any other manufacturer. Give Alan a ring, he will set up a test ride and you can see if you 'get it' One of the things that I really like is the solid nature of the frames, without being over heavy. I came from a Superlight, which was a nice Bike, but really noodley and worst of all creaky. I've never heard a squeak from either of my frames (I wish the same could be said about some of the components I have hung off them!).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Having seen you sell that white Nomad and move to the Ellsworth, it would be my guess that the new El Ciclon would be the bike for you.

I think i remember you saying the Nomad was abit too much for what you ride, the quality of Ventana is superb, more custom options than you can swing a sh!!ty stick at and Alan at Riverside (ajr on here and STW) is a honest, helpful and enthusiastic bloke.

what other reasons do you need?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hustler v El Ciclon

Hello folks

Thanks to those that replied to my other thread below,

I've looked at the Ventana and I like what I saw - Alan here @ riverside in the UK is very helpful and refreshibgly free of bulls**t, you seem to be buying into something rather than just buying a bike..

Really liked the El Ciclon and had a quick blast on an El Salt too - in a word ? STIFF

By a long way the stiffest bike I've ever ridden - hopping off a high curb (sidewalk in the US?!) was like landing a hardtail - absolutely no flex whatsoever....

I liked the feel to - direct and feels like you steer from your arse - if that makes sense - I guess I'm trying to say its responsive !

Problem ? I can get a great deal on a Cove Hustler - £300 ($600) cheaper than a El Ciclon - my heart says the Ventana but my head and my wallet the Cove !!

Now I think you lot are pretty biased but what do you think ?

Oh photos of El Ciclons will help :)

cheers

·
Registered
339 Posts
there are a million options and consider them all b4 you buy anything good luck w/ wtvr u choose

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.