Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=511302

Sedona vrs. Moab

No waste of time, just don't tell too many people about your little secret. We love Sedona! We've been there before when the family was too young to do any real riding together. This trip was the first one we were all able to do everything together except for HO of course. At the end of the trip we all decided we liked it better than Moab. Reasons:
- Most trail heads are not as far to drive to and many are in riding distance from the hotel.
- Only a few trails have jeeps on them.
- There are fewer riders on the trails except for the Bell Rock area.
- The lengths of most rides are an ideal ~2 hours. This allowed for us to do two rides per day.
- On average there's as much slick rock as Moab.
- The scenery is gorgous everywhere. Moab's is kind of on and off.
- There wasn't a shutle run quite like Moab's Porcupine rim but we have enough of those around here plus our ski hill DH riding in the summer.
- Trails were marked better than last time. I bought a book and got lots of advice from the local bike shops.
- I like the work they're doing on the highway. It will be awesome when it's done.
- Weather was really nice for Spring Time.
- My wife researched and found a great deal on a great hotel, the King's Ransom. We found out about in on an MTBR forum. The views were great, the free breakfast was good, and we all enjoyed the pool and giant hot tub. It was also centrally located to all the rides.
- We decided on this trip to eat the free breakfast and eat out for lunch and dinner. Again, my wife researched the dining ratings and found a bunch of good places to eat. My only regret is that two meals per day out was a lot of food and I probably would have been better off eating sandwiches for lunch. The hotel had a fridge in the room so that would have worked out well too.

Attachments

·
gravity fighter
Ripmo AF
555 Posts
My wife and I were just there for one day during vacation a couple weeks ago and hiked to that very same overlook (She doesn't ride, so I was very jealous watching the mtb's roll by :madman: .)
The red dirt and rock really make you feel like your on another planet.We both agreed that next time we go to AZ, we are spending a few days in Sedona. Pictures really don't do justice to how beautiful it is.

And yes, I'm renting a bike next time!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Scott O said:
Sedona is like Spaghetti O's: pretty damned good but you eventually get a little bored with it. Moab is like a perfect ribeye: it just doesn't get any better when done right.
I must agree. Just got back from Moab last night. Perfect ribeye. I go to Moab twice a year and love it every time. The Saltwash ST is killer.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
There is a lot more to Sedona than you think. Only 20 miles away is Mingus Mtn. Lots of ST there and a little further is Prescott with many more miles of trail. Plenty of places to camp in between as well.

Ah..who am I kidding...Northern AZ sucks!

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scott O said:
Sedona is like Spaghetti O's: pretty damned good but you eventually get a little bored with it. Moab is like a perfect ribeye: it just doesn't get any better when done right.
Scott:

I is my nature to question statements that may not be correct.

First of all it depends on what you are looking for. If singletrack is what you like Sedona has way more riding days of singletrack than Moab. If you throw in the Mingus and Flagstaff singletrack which are less than 30 miles away I would say we have way more.

When you rode in Sedona what were your favorite rides? Just want to make sure you knew your way around or were just following some outdated trail guide.

Since I once rode the Kokopelli down to the Colorado 12 out of 14 days, I have a pretty good idea of the riding in Moab.

TD

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
traildoc said:
Scott:

I is my nature to question statements that may not be correct.

First of all it depends on what you are looking for. If singletrack is what you like Sedona has way more riding days of singletrack than Moab. If you throw in the Mingus and Flagstaff singletrack which are less than 30 miles away I would say we have way more.

When you rode in Sedona what were your favorite rides? Just want to make sure you knew your way around or were just following some outdated trail guide.

Since I once rode the Kokopelli down to the Colorado 12 out of 14 days, I have a pretty good idea of the riding in Moab.

TD
TD - First of all, let me reiterate, Spagetti O's are awesome, especially mixed in with some ground moose meat and garlic....I've been to Moab 4x I think, and Sedona 2x. I'm basing my comments based on what a local shop recommends for rides and/or signature trails. Without digging to deeply into my memory banks (haven't been to Sedona in @4+yrs) I say you can't compare the ride from the bike/coffee shop out to Submarine rock, etc to riding from Moab, up to the Slickrock Trail. Again, not sure where I rode in Sedona, but I put in one very cool 30 miler, but bang for your buck (in my humble opinion), nothing compares to hitting slickrock full blast (cue the people from WA, OR, CA, TX, ID, other parts of Utah, etc ready to bash Moab). Throw in some Poison Spider, Porcy Rim, yada, yadda, yadda and the place is, to use a completely overworn term, epic. But Sedona is cool!

That being said, I regret in my time in AZ, not hitting up Prescott, though I did get some quality time in Flagstaff. Throw in the Grand Canyon and the bars and women in Tempe, and AZ is one damn fine state.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scott O said:
TD - First of all, let me reiterate, Spagetti O's are awesome, especially mixed in with some ground moose meat and garlic....I've been to Moab 4x I think, and Sedona 2x. I'm basing my comments based on what a local shop recommends for rides and/or signature trails. Without digging to deeply into my memory banks (haven't been to Sedona in @4+yrs) I say you can't compare the ride from the bike/coffee shop out to Submarine rock, etc to riding from Moab, up to the Slickrock Trail. Again, not sure where I rode in Sedona, but I put in one very cool 30 miler, but bang for your buck (in my humble opinion), nothing compares to hitting slickrock full blast (cue the people from WA, OR, CA, TX, ID, other parts of Utah, etc ready to bash Moab). Throw in some Poison Spider, Porcy Rim, yada, yadda, yadda and the place is, to use a completely overworn term, epic. But Sedona is cool!

That being said, I regret in my time in AZ, not hitting up Prescott, though I did get some quality time in Flagstaff. Throw in the Grand Canyon and the bars and women in Tempe, and AZ is one damn fine state.
Thanks for your response, it gives me a better understanding of your initial point. Most Sedona bike shops won't give you the intel on the super cool trails, because they are not signed and the shop doesn't want you to get lost. With over 130 trails it is easy to get lost.

Someday when GPS gets to be real easy to use and everyone has one the trail info will be downloaded based on the type of ride a person wants to do. Shops won't probably provide the info because you might sue them if you get hurt on the ride, but you will be able to get it off the net

Until that day comes you will have to hook-up with someone in the know to get the best rides. IMHO Seonda has about seven major rides that are some of the best in the country.

·
MV Rider
36 Posts
traildoc said:
Thanks for your response, it gives me a better understanding of your initial point. Most Sedona bike shops won't give you the intel on the super cool trails, because they are not signed and the shop doesn't want you to get lost. With over 130 trails it is easy to get lost.

Someday when GPS gets to be real easy to use and everyone has one the trail info will be downloaded based on the type of ride a person wants to do. Shops won't probably provide the info because you might sue them if you get hurt on the ride, but you will be able to get it off the net

Until that day comes you will have to hook-up with someone in the know to get the best rides. IMHO Seonda has about seven major rides that are some of the best in the country.
Traildoc

Some of my riding buddies and myself are heading to Sedona on April 29th for some serious mtb riding. Would you care to share an info on any of the seven major rides? Thanks!

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MV Rider said:
Traildoc

Some of my riding buddies and myself are heading to Sedona on April 29th for some serious mtb riding. Would you care to share an info on any of the seven major rides? Thanks!
MV:

We are more than happy to share the ride intel with you. Let me know where you are staying when you get here. Are you riding the 29th.? Why did you decide to try out Sedona?

·
MV Rider
36 Posts
traildoc said:
MV:

We are more than happy to share the ride intel with you. Let me know where you are staying when you get here. Are you riding the 29th.? Why did you decide to try out Sedona?
Traildoc

Thanks for the reply. Any intel you can provide will be deeply appreciated. There are 8 of us renting a house on the outskirts of Sedona. Sorry I don't have the address or location, another friend took care of the arrangements. We will start arriving the night of April 29th, so we will start riding on the 30th. As for trying out Sedona, many have come and raved about the trails and scenery. Several people I know who have visited Sedona have confirmed the same. We therefore put Sedona on our "bucket list" of mountain bike destinations to visit and ride. So far we have done Moab, Gooseberry Mesa, Downeville, Lake Tahoe, Mammoth Mountain and Big Bear. I've also done Bootleg Canyon and trail outside Santa Fe.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.