Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
all about the all about
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Money is tight around here after the holidays, so I'm looking to buy a temporary/budget wheelset to get me by until better days. I do need a 20mm TA front, but I'm really trying not to be too picky about the rest. The build is 07 Sultan with 120mm Minute and XT group, I'm 180# and ride XC ish trails, with some aggro AM on occasion.

Is this the best I can do for under $300 shipped? Thanks.

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=85]

Attachments

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'd say for that price, that's a good deal. Only thing about those rims is they don't take a lot of tension, so be careful if they need to be trued.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would wait on the new wheel set to avoid headaches and spending money that you will be spending again for a better wheel set. Remember good things come to thos who wait.
but if you must buy now spend the money on the rear wheel and get a better hub.

·
all about the all about
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
njbiker66 said:
I would wait on the new wheel set to avoid headaches and spending money that you will be spending again for a better wheel set. Remember good things come to thos who wait.
but if you must buy now spend the money on the rear wheel and get a better hub.
I know the money should go towards a better wheelset, but I'm not sure I'm willing to miss a full season of riding inorder to raise the cash for the real goods.

coconinocycles said:
i've seen allot of those WTB hubs explode. i'm a diehard WTB fan, but that's the truth. a set of LX would be waaayyy better. had fine luck with the rims. steve.
Steve, Was/is this an issue with the 20mm hub?

Is this really the profile of this rim or is the pic distorted? Looks like a deep V road rim in the shot below!

Attachments

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I would tend to agree, although it would be better to just save for the "best" wheelset you want, getting to ride the bike is a bit more important - like me when I built up my RIP9 I ran the stock WTB SpeedDisc wheelset for almost the entire first year because that's what I could afford at the time, and then got my "bling" Pro2/Flow wheels this summer.

Yes that is the profile of that rim, it is a very deep V type and it also is actually quite wide - 26mm outer width, 21mm inner bead.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Om Flyer said:
I know the money should go towards a better wheelset, but I'm not sure I'm willing to miss a full season of riding inorder to raise the cash for the real goods.

Steve, Was/is this an issue with the 20mm hub?

Is this really the profile of this rim or is the pic distorted? Looks like a deep V road rim in the shot below!
There have been problems in the past with the rear hubs (freehub mech). Do not know if they have changed the design or not.

Front hubs are fine.

The rim pic looks slightly distorted but the rim is sort of "aero" shaped.

·
all about the all about
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input. For under $250 shipped I'll take my chances and give them a try.
:nono:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.