Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I get the fact that not many people are going to want to buy this bike, but what I don't get is if Specialized is making them to sell in Europe, why can't they ship one for me to buy to a dealer in the U.S? It is a little frustrating to have to either choose the carbon frame expert or upgrade most of the parts on a comp. Reasons why I want the M5 frame over the carbon:

1) I've never ridden the sj ht carbon frame, but I know I love the M5 ht frame. There is just something about the way it rides that really appeals to me. I've ridden other carbon bikes that I like, but I can't be sure I would like the sj carbon ht frame as well as I like the M5.

2) The head angle on the M5 frame is one half degree slacker (70.5 vs. 71).

3) Even though I'm sure the carbon would probably hold up just fine, it seems from what I've read that there is at least a slightly higher possibility that crashing in the right way (probably at slow speed leaning into a sharp rock or root) would damage the carbon frame than that an alloy frame would be damaged in a crash. Also, Ive seen the underside of the down tube on carbon frames look pretty ugly after a season of deflecting small rocks that get thrown up.

4) The carbon frame is only a little bit lighter and a lot more expensive. I'd rather put the money into lighter wheels (I'd upgrade the wheels on either model) and put on a carbon seatpost to help with vibration damping. The M5 frame actually feels pretty amazing over rough stuff for an alloy hardtail.

But, I'd really like to have the lighter SID over the Fox fork, the x-9 shifters, and the better crank set that comes on the Expert level bike. I'm not sure I understand the economics behind making a U.S. company making a bike but refusing to sell it in their own country. Can anyone explain this? Even if I am the only person in the whole US that wants one (which I doubt), if they make it and I am willing to pay the shipping costs, why can't they sell me one?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'd love to see a Marathon level M5 ht as well, but I understand that perhaps there is not enough demand to make such a bike. But they do make the M5 expert ht and sell it in Germany, UK and probably other places. My main question is: why can't they ship them to U.S. dealers on an as requested basis?

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Having some familiarity with customs and other issues along the same lines, there's likely more work and money to be thrown into importing one piece outside of a container of frames already accounted for the US market. One guess is that if won't be feasible for them to spend the time to work out the paperwork and fees for one frame, along with the feasibility of you paying for it.

What you have to do is find an EU dealer willing to send one to you, which is also more trouble than it's worth for them, going by the dealership agreement and other issues, such as fees.

To be honest, it is somewhat strange to be so set on a mass produced frame such as the one you're looking at. There are way better and nicer frames out there that are even cheaper than the Spec.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
MarkJ70 said:
Well I'd love to see a Marathon level M5 ht as well, but I understand that perhaps there is not enough demand to make such a bike. But they do make the M5 expert ht and sell it in Germany, UK and probably other places. My main question is: why can't they ship them to U.S. dealers on an as requested basis?
That's a good question.

Numbers is the first answer. One is obviously not high enough.

I had that question once for my Cannondale rep, considering their bikes were built in the USA. He said just the frames and the bikes were assembled in the EU.

I wonder if there is a legal answer, like only these models have been licensed to sell in the USA and these in the EU.

But if you are that obsessed with a particular part build, then you should just ask your local dealer if they get a M5 thru warranty, then build it up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
To be honest, it is somewhat strange to be so set on a mass produced frame such as the one you're looking at. There are way better and nicer frames out there that are even cheaper than the Spec.
Thanks for the ideas. I'd love some suggestions.

One of the main things I like about the Specialized bikes are that they seem like a really good deal for the money. But they become a much less good deal if I have to start swapping out parts. The other main thing is that I know that I like the geometry of the 21.5" frame and love the way it rides. I've ridden some other alloy frames (Cannondale Caffeine, GT Zaskar), that were much harsher over rough terrain. I'm really just trying to get a decent hardtail with very nice wheels for around $3000. I can get an 09 stumpjumper comp for $1500, which leaves me enough room to upgrade the wheels and then also the cranks, handlebar, cassette and seatpost. But that still doesn't get me the SID fork, and for some reason, I'd rather buy something that somes stock with stuff I'd like. I don't think I'm too picky - I just want x9 or xt level components, carbon lo-rise bar (carbon for vibration damping, lo-rise to get more bend that a flat bar), SID fork, and some light tubeless specific wheels (stans, fulcrum, shimano, mavic, spec roval would all be fine.) But I've noticed that my choices are also very limited over slighly shorter people by the fact that there are quite a few manufacturers that don't make their ht frames in a size with at least a 52cm seat tube(preferably 57-58cm) and a 635mm - 642mm top tube, which I need to fit me. So, yes, I'd be very open to other brands but I haven't found anything really promising. The Kona Kula Deluxe looks ok, but has the Reba instead of the SID and also perhaps too high of a bottom bracket. The new Marin Team ht looks good, but with a retail price of over $3000, it doesn't leave me any room to upgrade to tubeless specific wheels and I'm afraid that the 22" size would have a slighly too long top tube (647mm) for me. So, yea, I'd love any suggestions of other options to consider.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
A SID has got to be one of the flexiest forks made. It is so unpredictable in rough spots that you lose time and energy avoiding small rocks and roots that most other forks soak up. Plus it is just painful, unless you are racing, why be in pain? There are other forks out there that weight the same and are better. But of course they do not come stock either, so same problem for you.

·
I Wanna Be Sedated
764 Posts
For some reason the Stumpjumper M5 Expert HT is also available in Canada. If I recall correctly, this was the case in previous years as well - I bought one in 2007 and noticed afterwards that it wasn't available in the US market.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.