Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why they didn't offer the 05 ID with a Romic?

I've got the Fox Float that came with my frame. It's ok. Not as plush as the Romic. I'm not a big fan of Fox stuff in general. And I wasn't too stoked on the shock options for 05. I really liked the Romic on the 04 ID though.

I know using a shock other than the 3 recommended violates the warranty. Anyone have any comments on this? Also, anyone try a Romic on an 05 frame? Is this possible?

Thanks-

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sure it's an 05?

On Ellsworth's website, the list the Fox Float R Custom Tune and the Swinger 3-Way Air as the only options for 05. They also say in the warranty info that use of any other shock will void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Pretty sure. It's an '05 serial number and when I talked with Ryan at Ells he sounded confident. Call them direct. These are pretty much made to order bikes, they can get you tons of different shocks if you want. From what the instructions say, you just have to use a shock which has the same dimensions (7.5x2, 7.875x2, or 7.875x2.25) and set it up properly. ie. use a large enough spring or enough air. They do get their shocks custom valved, not sure if one could really notice the difference though.

FYI - They technically can't void a warranty unless they can prove that the change you made caused the failure. Legally the burden of proof is on them. This is U.S. law and you better believe I would fight for a $2000 frame since I only ride aggressive XC and wouldn't expect a free bike after a bad crash, where anything could happen.

·
Registered
82 Posts
PM sent

SteamDonkey

I have a like new Romic with 2 springs that I took of my 04 ID on delivery. I installed a pushed float ava to build the bike as light as I could and never used the romic. I would be willing to trade you for the float or just sell it to you. Let me know

J

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,691 Posts
Hey there, how do you feel about the work Push did to your AVA?

mtnbkrr said:
SteamDonkey

I have a like new Romic with 2 springs that I took of my 04 ID on delivery. I installed a pushed flote ava to build the bike as light as I could and never used the romic. I would be willing to trade you for the flote or just sell it to you. Let me know

J

·
Registered
82 Posts
pushed AVA

pisgahproductions said:
Hey there, how do you feel about the work Push did to your AVA?
Fast service, good advice, shock works way better than stock. I have a romic and a fox rc coil sitting on the side not being used. Well wouth the money money to do!

J

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey. Thanks. I just got my ID rolling. So I'd like to see how I like it first before I monkey with the rear suspension. I am interested in the Romic simply because I like how it rides on the 04 so I'll keep your extra shocks in mind. What # springs do you have?

mtnbkrr said:
SteamDonkey

I have a like new Romic with 2 springs that I took of my 04 ID on delivery. I installed a pushed float ava to build the bike as light as I could and never used the romic. I would be willing to trade you for the float or just sell it to you. Let me know

J

·
Registered
82 Posts
SteamDonkey said:
Hey. Thanks. I just got my ID rolling. So I'd like to see how I like it first before I monkey with the rear suspension. I am interested in the Romic simply because I like how it rides on the 04 so I'll keep your extra shocks in mind. What # springs do you have?
I know one is 500lb and I think the other is 400 or 450 I wll have to check.

J

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.