Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i,am hoping to get a pro on the cheap a 07 my first Q is about neg air how much compared to pos air?:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,762 Posts
The rule of thumb....

and the Rock Shox recommended starting point is the same PSI in the negative as in the positive. Then adjust the negative pressure if needed to suit your preference. For more info go to the RS website and download the owner's manual for the fork. http://www.sram.com/en/service/

That'll give you all the info you need on the fork.

Good Dirt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
there was a great thread about the XC a while back which actually spurred me on to go out and buy one, for the money i dont think you can get a better full suspension bike, mine impresses me more everyday it takes everything i throw at it and just keeps purring along without as much as a squeak, im now in the market for a second bike, still cant decide between an epic or stumpjumper but i wont sell the XC, its a great all rounder
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats a diffcult one the epic looks to have the same travel as you got now but with stiffer rear supension and the stump fsr seems to have the same handling you have now but with a little more travel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
tell me about it, its a toss up between an 08 epic marathon and an 08 stumpjumper elite, i think the stump has a higher front which would make downhilling more comfortable, the the difference between 4 and 5 inches of travel is not really an issue with me as i dont jump or drop and only weigh 140 pounds anyway, but i do some aggressive xc with some downhilling involved the epic might be scary in this situation, however to downhill you gotta climb witch the epic is good at, on the other hand the 08 stump is lighter than ever and ive read its climbing ability has been tweaked, the epic marathon though is really superlight, i picked it up and there wasnt much difference between it and the road bikes lying around in the shop, i do a lot of road riding also which would be nice on the epic im sure, lol what a predicament
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it looks great in green.the one i hope to get is normaly 1300 in the uk but i should be able to get it for 1000. is it still riding true?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
the green XC is under 27 pounds you said on another thread, thats good going, my bone stock 07 comp weighs over 30 at a guess, it would take a lot of money to get it under 27, i may go for it some day though, id start with the wheels first
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
in the reviews of this bike the comp version, some bloke weighted it reckons that at is local bike shop the scales got it as 29.8 for the large one.i think its 0.1 for each size you go down so 29.7 for the medium and 29.6 for the small, and i think the pros fork is half a pound lighter so it could be 29.1
 

·
Texan
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
Ill post some pics of my 08 FSRXC comp when it's gets done. Its at the shop now and Ill leave with a little hint. The only thing original is the frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
i havent weighed my own bike but the weight varies from all sorts of different sites on the net, some have it as low as 28 some as high as 31, mine is a medium stock 07 comp, it may be entry level for a full suspension but for me its a quality bike, Cooper ive seen that bike before youve done a lot of mods, is that fork you got on it 100mm? Gary i cant wait to see your new bike
 

·
Texan
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
cooper58 said:
My 2007 FSRXC and some action shots...











Thats a sweet build bro! The frame color and the attention to the details in the nooks and crannys shows you have great taste! I like it alot! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Thanks guys of the kind words.... My fork is a Fox Talas RLC and is adjustable up to 130mm but I kept it at 100mm so I don't have to worry about the wrong geometry. I've been riding this bike for the past year and have been Super pleased with how it handles. Yea, I went over board with the upgrades but even a stock FSRXC is a great deal.

My frame is a small and the last time it was weighed it came in high 26 with the Fast Trak pro tires and when I went tubeless and different tires it's know around 27 pounds.
 

·
Texan
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
darkest_fugue said:
i havent weighed my own bike but the weight varies from all sorts of different sites on the net, some have it as low as 28 some as high as 31, mine is a medium stock 07 comp, it may be entry level for a full suspension but for me its a quality bike, Cooper ive seen that bike before youve done a lot of mods, is that fork you got on it 100mm? Gary i cant wait to see your new bike
The componats that came on the comp version sort of made me cringe at first. But when I rode the bike, I loved it! Theres not a damn thing wrong with Deore, LX and Juicy 3 levels. Yea, the bike was heavy, (over30 pounds), but thats cool! Thats not bad for a $1400 bike. I fell into a weird situation where I had the stock componants allready sold in advance. I moved the stuff from my 23 pound HT over the comp and immediatly dropped to 27 pounds. (some of the credit goes to Mike at MTBTi :thumbsup: ) Whens its done and has a Mango a colored headset and matching hubs, it may be down to 26 pounds and be built inteligently for a large guy like me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
theres no LX componants on my bike, the front derailer is a stock deore, not even an LX but it works fine, my rear derailer is an XT which is nice, the juicy 3s do their job fine, if i was going to start trying to get the weight down id go with a new wheelset first lighter tires and tubes and probably a higher end cassette, thats reducing weight where it counts the most, im just going to buy a lighter bike instead though and upgrade the xc when something breaks, its a toss up between an 08 epic marathon and an 08 SJ elite, and im having a realy problem deciding
 

·
Texan
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
darkest_fugue said:
theres no LX componants on my bike, the front derailer is a stock deore, not even an LX but it works fine, my rear derailer is an XT which is nice, the juicy 3s do their job fine, if i was going to start trying to get the weight down id go with a new wheelset first lighter tires and tubes and probably a higher end cassette, thats reducing weight where it counts the most, im just going to buy a lighter bike instead though and upgrade the xc when something breaks, its a toss up between an 08 epic marathon and an 08 SJ elite, and im having a realy problem deciding
For what you will spend on another bike, you can really trick out what you allready have. And be original.

Just a thought...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
that is true, however in order to upgrade it down to around 27 pounds it would cost more than what i paid for it in the first place, upgrades are expensive over here, for instance a set of crossmax ST's are about 600 dollars,

What turned me off upgrading the bike more was reading the reviews of items that i wanted to upgrade to, when i see a lot of dont buy thease or dont buy this it makes me wonder, which brings me on to my 3rd put off about upgrading,

My bike is operating absolutely perfect as it is, so when i read thease negative reviews im thinking why bother in the first place, i was hell bent to jump on the upgrade wagon but now i think ill upgrade parts when they wear out or break,

i do want a second bike though but the 08 epic marathon and 08 stumpjumper elite are quite different from each other, the difference in travel doesnt bother me at all, im 140 and never bottom out the travel on my XC even on the roughest trails here, im not sure about downhilling on the epic, the stumpjumper would be more comfortable for that but i still roll over what i like pretty much on my XC which as similar geometry to the epic, perhaps im underestimating the epics ability i dont know, another perk is that the epic marathon is tricked out to the nines and is almost as light as a road bike, i picked it up and couldnt believe it!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Your bashguard

cooper58 said:
Thanks guys of the kind words.... My fork is a Fox Talas RLC and is adjustable up to 130mm but I kept it at 100mm so I don't have to worry about the wrong geometry. I've been riding this bike for the past year and have been Super pleased with how it handles. Yea, I went over board with the upgrades but even a stock FSRXC is a great deal.

My frame is a small and the last time it was weighed it came in high 26 with the Fast Trak pro tires and when I went tubeless and different tires it's know around 27 pounds.
Hey man, Nice build. Did you switch from three rings to two up front? Do you miss the big ring, if you did? And what bashguard is that zactly?

Nice bike.
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top