Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a $10 aluminum expander cap from VP Components to adjust my headset and then remove it and leave it in my toolbox. This eliminates the weight of cap, bolt, and star-fangled nut. I can look through the steerer tube and see the tire, I know if there are extra grams of mud hiding in there:D

I have noticed many light bikes carry expensive carbon or aluminum caps with titanium bolts. Why? Are these parts just bike jewelry, or do some people need to adjust the headset on the trail?
 

·
The Top Cap Guy
Joined
·
952 Posts
I've never had to adjust the headset on the trail - but when I wreck or do something stupidon the trail and the bars are not straight - without those pieces you can't straighten your bars... because your headset will loosen up.

On my scale with a regular cap - aluminum bolt and steel star nut - your looking at a total of 18 grams for everything. I'm thinking the steel starnut is the bulk of that.



FF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,269 Posts
EuroMack said:
I use a $10 aluminum expander cap from VP Components to adjust my headset and then remove it and leave it in my toolbox. This eliminates the weight of cap, bolt, and star-fangled nut. I can look through the steerer tube and see the tire, I know if there are extra grams of mud hiding in there:D

I have noticed many light bikes carry expensive carbon or aluminum caps with titanium bolts. Why? Are these parts just bike jewelry, or do some people need to adjust the headset on the trail?
If you have some steerer sticking out of the top of the stem, it can take a chunk out of your chest if you crash...
Having said that, I've been checking out the cap expander bolts, seems like a great alternative to starnuts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FF,
If I need to re-align my stem/fork, I just press down on the stem while turning it. Cone-shaped washer in the headset seems to hold position unless I rock the bike.
I checked out your profile and those dancing bear caps are pretty cool, but none for me, thanks. I used to live in Cleveland and ride Mohican as well. Just moved to Europe a few months ago.

Flipnidaho,
Impaling oneself on the steerer is a valid concern, but why does a weight weenie have extra length? Break out the pipe cutter and save an ounce or two. My steerer is flush with stem.
 

·
The Top Cap Guy
Joined
·
952 Posts
EuroMack said:
FF,
If I need to re-align my stem/fork, I just press down on the stem while turning it. Cone-shaped washer in the headset seems to hold position unless I rock the bike.
I checked out your profile and those dancing bear caps are pretty cool, but none for me, thanks. I used to live in Cleveland and ride Mohican as well. Just moved to Europe a few months ago.
quote]

Thats cool - I'm not saying anyone should keep the caps because I sell custom caps... I just figure for 15 grams or so the easy of fixing your bike after a trail misshap is worth it to me... but also notice I did weight weenie the bolt in aluminum. When I built up my last bike about a month ago and before I cut the steerer off I twisted, rocked, and wiggled around the front end of my Niner and couldn't get it tight... the cone washer your talking about - does King use this - I don't remember one in mine - maybe why I couldn't do it. Also another idea is to use a carbon steerer expansion plug - then after your headset is tight and you remove it - throw it in your tool pouch with the allens.

Mohican is pretty fun... were you a Spokejunkie?

FF
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,137 Posts
Fast Freddy said:
EuroMack said:
FF,
If I need to re-align my stem/fork, I just press down on the stem while turning it. Cone-shaped washer in the headset seems to hold position unless I rock the bike.
I checked out your profile and those dancing bear caps are pretty cool, but none for me, thanks. I used to live in Cleveland and ride Mohican as well. Just moved to Europe a few months ago.
quote]

Thats cool - I'm not saying anyone should keep the caps because I sell custom caps... I just figure for 15 grams or so the easy of fixing your bike after a trail misshap is worth it to me... but also notice I did weight weenie the bolt in aluminum. When I built up my last bike about a month ago and before I cut the steerer off I twisted, rocked, and wiggled around the front end of my Niner and couldn't get it tight... the cone washer your talking about - does King use this - I don't remember one in mine - maybe why I couldn't do it. Also another idea is to use a carbon steerer expansion plug - then after your headset is tight and you remove it - throw it in your tool pouch with the allens.

Mohican is pretty fun... were you a Spokejunkie?

FF
I run a FastFreddy cap. Anyone who doesn't, isn't a real rider and isn't cool at all.

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an old Tange Aheadset with loose bearings.It's not sealed well, but it's light and I don't ride much in rain. I think the split cone washer thing is not included with cartridge bearing headsets.

I moved from Ohio to New York in 1993, never heard of Spokejunkies.
 

·
The Top Cap Guy
Joined
·
952 Posts
29Colossus said:
I run a FastFreddy cap. Anyone who doesn't, isn't a real rider and isn't cool at all.

:cool:
Yeah but they aren't light - I need to work on that one....lol - Just a standard cap .... need to get some machined super thin with holes or something....

EuroMack said:
I have an old Tange Aheadset with loose bearings.It's not sealed well, but it's light and I don't ride much in rain. I think the split cone washer thing is not included with cartridge bearing headsets.

I moved from Ohio to New York in 1993, never heard of Spokejunkies.
www.spokejunkies.com - was very small amount of guys then - growing club since though...

FF
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top