Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
humber river advocate
Joined
·
6,395 Posts
there where several who tried... rip. but with walmart, canadian tire, an autocentric town council who is anti cycling, lack of any bike paths/lanes/singletrack (even though there is huge tracks of conservation land around bolton), anti mtb movement called the hvhta which has the ear of the trca, and the mtb ghetto called albion hills... throw in high rents and tmi's your lucky if any small store can survive...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
why would albion hills be grouped in with these other groups.
If anything it's generating interest in biking in the area and giving us at least one ridable option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
singlesprocket said:
there where several who tried... rip. but with walmart, canadian tire, an autocentric town council who is anti cycling, lack of any bike paths/lanes/singletrack (even though there is huge tracks of conservation land around bolton), anti mtb movement called the hvhta which has the ear of the trca, and the mtb ghetto called albion hills... throw in high rents and tmi's your lucky if any small store can survive...
you can also add the niagara escarpment commision (NEC) which won't allow a good trail system in nearby Glen Haffy conservation area.They don't have any problems allowing golf courses. and all the unridable sections of the bruce trail.:bluefrown:
 

·
Steady Creepin'
Joined
·
486 Posts
For some reason I always thought that area was a hub for MTB'ing, sounds like it's got a lot of the same problems we hear about everywhere else
 

·
humber river advocate
Joined
·
6,395 Posts
smoke and mirrors... we lost trail up here (palgrave for example), issues with cold creek, glen haffy (biking not permitted on the trails as far is i can tell), mono had a past standoff with hiking groups but have no info on that...

a drop in the bucket compared to what was lost to development/poor urban planning. but then greed is a powerful motivator.

hopefully a mtb/multi-use trail through bolton to albion/palgrave will happen in our life time...

some sources...

http://www.coldcreek.org/pages/images/Cold Creek Management Plan - 6 Management Recommendations.pdf

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cach...+palgrave+trail+plan&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

http://trca.on.ca/enjoy/locations/glen-haffy-conservation-area.dot
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
LuMach said:
For some reason I always thought that area was a hub for MTB'ing, sounds like it's got a lot of the same problems we hear about everywhere else
It may not be perfect but there's Albion, Palgrave, the Glens... Dufferin, King and Mono are all a short drive. It's no Hamilton but you could do a lot worse.;)
 

·
humber river advocate
Joined
·
6,395 Posts
trailtrash said:
why would albion hills be grouped in with these other groups.
If anything it's generating interest in biking in the area and giving us at least one ridable option.
not in the local community... if anything it has been used as an example of the negative
impacts cycling causes on the trails... but hey don't shot the messenger, just ask the hiking groups what they think of it.
 

·
Team NFI
Joined
·
5,303 Posts
trailtrash said:
why would albion hills be grouped in with these other groups.
If anything it's generating interest in biking in the area and giving us at least one ridable option.
There is really nothing in Albion that I could justify paying to ride. Limited technical challenges and that's about it. Only time I found Albion challenging was when I raced the 5 Peaks trail series.

The only time I found Albion riding challenging was 2008 when it rained the Saturday night during Summer Solstice.

The only justification I could find to pay would be if the money went fully to Chico Racing to further improve the system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
Enduramil said:
There is really nothing in Albion that I could justify paying to ride. Limited technical challenges and that's about it. Only time I found Albion challenging was when I raced the 5 Peaks trail series.

The only time I found Albion riding challenging was 2008 when it rained the Saturday night during Summer Solstice.

The only justification I could find to pay would be if the money went fully to Chico Racing to further improve the system.
You could try riding it as a faster pace and it would likely be more challenging. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Enduramil said:
There is really nothing in Albion that I could justify paying to ride. Limited technical challenges and that's about it. Only time I found Albion challenging was when I raced the 5 Peaks trail series.

The only time I found Albion riding challenging was 2008 when it rained the Saturday night during Summer Solstice.

The only justification I could find to pay would be if the money went fully to Chico Racing to further improve the system.
it may not be the most challenging and there are alot of us out there that may not have your riding skills but I enjoy riding there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
garage monster said:
It may not be perfect but there's Albion, Palgrave, the Glens... Dufferin, King and Mono are all a short drive. It's no Hamilton but you could do a lot worse.;)
+1 A lot of these people drive through Bolton to get to these places. There is also a huge Road Biking scene in Bolton. (Myself included.)
 

·
humber river advocate
Joined
·
6,395 Posts
Thatshowiroll said:
+1 A lot of these people drive through Bolton to get to these places. There is also a huge Road Biking scene in Bolton. (Myself included.)
what the five of you?
 

·
humber river advocate
Joined
·
6,395 Posts
trailtrash said:
maybe you can join them and make it six:prft:
And whats he care if there is a LBS in town anyway .He's a cheap bastard.:p
i'm happy on my fat tires riding around bolton and the humber :prft:... at least nogears did the smart thing and went online... rather than a store front on queen (hwy 50)
 
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Top