Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just really surprised to learn that my 2020 34 SC shipped out as push to unlock. I normally ride with my bike set to the open position; and it just seems counter intuitive to me that it constantly has to be under tension in order for me to do that. So, I wound up having my new fork immediately rebuilt so that I can run it PTL, which was much cheaper to do than having my rear shock rebuilt to PTU.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just learnt about this too and trying to figure out what to do. Apparently PTU puts less pressure on the remote? as people were breaking the remotes?

How long and how much did it took to rebuilt your fork to PTL? Do you know if it was just a topcap change or did it involve modifying damper internals?

·
Registered
83 Posts
What is push to unlock/lock?
Fork damper. Old version has the damper open(free to use its travel) by default and push remote to lock the fork for climbing. New version has the damper locked by default and push the remote to unlock the fork to use its travel.

Old version it was just a simple damper side topcap change from remote topcap to manual 3-pos topcapand vice versa. New version requires damper rebuild if you want to go from remote to manual 3-pos, complete PITA.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the same question. My 2019 (or 2020?) SID RLC has this and it's really annoying.

What designer would think that on a very expensive suspension fork the DEFAULT position would be RIGID? WTF?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,213 Posts
One designing a product for racing.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Or , push it to unlock it. Is it really that difficult?
Yes, when the same companies product is attached to the other end of your frame and works the opposite way.

It seems this is only a problem for the FIT4 34 SC forks. The GRIP damper seems to accept similar (same?) parts to the eariler (2018+) to allow top cap conversion between PTL and PTU. At least according the the FOX service videos posted with "2020" in the titles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reviving this post. Called Fox about this. 13yo daughter's new bike came with Fox 32 Performance PTU. Counter intuitive and she is dyslexic. Fox tech agreed this was a poor setup, said he did not agree with what the engineers had done and added that he voiced that to them. He said that, in effect, the engineers did it to "improve durability". I took this to mean that bean counters did not approve of warranty claim levels and they asked the engineers to figure out a way to lower them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.