Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say that 10 times quick :S

Hi all! I am new here and have this minor glitch on my brand new baby Kona Taro 2014.

It is not really a big deal at all but I am curious if everything is setup tight as it should be, or if I should check some things? I have a 32T chain ring in the front an 9spd back. I understand my chain line might be a little off. Or maybe it is not and these big 9, 10 gear cassettes might make the chain sway too much?

The bike is brand new. I rode it maybe 10 times so far on 10, 15 mile rides. Rides really nice and shifter shifts real good and clean. Adjusted the cable a few times for the slack.

When I pedal backward while in the smallest cog, the chain so slightly touches 1 of the top teeth on the 2nd smallest. When I pedal forward it is perfect. Every other gear is fine! Forwards and backwards. Only when still and backpedaling in reverse in smallest cog. And it touches the top of the gear! Its not like the derailer is pushing it.

If you have any idea about something I would greatly appreciate it! :thumbsup:

FRAME MATERIALKona 6061 Aluminum Butted
SIZESS, M, L, XL
REAR SHOCKn/a
FORKRockShox Sektor Gold 130mm 15mm DO Tapered
CRANKARMSFSA Step-Up
CHAINRINGS32t
B/BFSA Platinum ISIS
PEDALSWellgo Platform
CHAINKMC HG53
FREEWHEELShimano Deore 12-36t 9 spd
CHAINGUIDEThe Hive LS1+ No Taco
F/Dn/a
R/DShimano Deore Shadow
SHIFTERSShimano Alivio (rh only)

<tbody>
</tbody>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for writing, but those spacers would push the cassette out more. Which would make it rub even more.
Is there a spacer for the chainring or crank? So it pushes my chainring like 2mm out more. I think that would do it. Or can I not do that?

·
On wuss patrol
5,049 Posts
You're in the single speed forum. People here can't help you unless you have a question about single speed bikes. Try posting your question in the drivetrain or 27.5 forum.

Just kidding (you are in the single speed forum, though). It's your chain line and it's nothing to worry about. With the additional gears on bikes these days and how crowded cassettes are getting, it is common while pedaling backward for the chain to hook the next gear a little when on the high (small) gear and even may try to drop to the second largest gear when on the lowest (largest) gear. Nothing to sweat.

·
Phobia of petting zoos.
1,000 Posts
A number of things here:

1. Welcome to the forums.

2. The forums are split into a number of boards. This one is the "Singlespeed" board for folks talking about singlespeed bikes. While we might empathise with you about your questions, this isn't the right place for it.

3. In order not to come off like a right jerk, I'll just offer some advice and then you can be on your way. Multi gear set ups are a bit of a compromise. Sometimes, little things like your problem will drive you to ponder life in a different light, but the fact is, it's nothing to be concerned about. Yes, you can get spacers to push the big ring outboard a little, but it's not something to worry about. Pedalling backwards while on the bike and riding you won't notice it, and it's not doing any harm. Besides, you should be pedalling forward. :)

4. You have come to the right place, because we here in the singlespeed board have solved all manner of drivetrain issues by just ditching gears. Join us... join us...

5. Otherwise, the beginner board or the drivetrain board might get you some more info.

Happy trails.

Grumps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh man! Wow and I was looking real hard to make the proper selection for forum! Wow I thought because it is single speed in the front that it is single speed :madman:

Thank you though! I figured that might be the reason. Well this is solved :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hehe I will join eventually. As soon as I get more space for more bikes in the house :D

Yes I made a mistake while really hard trying not to! Singlespeed = rear single speed :S I flipped it :D

Thanks for the help though! And a warm welcome :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts