Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike: TREK Fuel EX7 (2010 or 2011 model)

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to keep the brake caliper & black bracket from angling in toward the rotor. If the bracket and the rotor are parallel then everything is perfect, and I can see this if I loosen the bolts attaching the black bracket to the frame. But as soon as I tighten them back, I get the angle.

What can I do to fix this issue?
Thanks!
Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle part Rim Spoke

Attachments

·
B A N N E D
5,411 Posts
Are those are Avid calipers ?

If they are, why don't you have the CPS washers between the bolt head and the caliper ?

If you also had CPS washers between the bolt head & caliper, you could adjust the angle if the caliper.

Bicycle part Line Font Motorcycle accessories Black

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
You have to have the brakes set while tightening the bolts (I expect you know this already), but you also have to alternate tightening the bolts, just a little at a time, or the torque of tightening the bolt will twist the bracket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@cobba -
Yes they are avid.
I did have the CPS washers between the bolt head and the caliper, but when they are there, the washers rub the rotor even MORE than without them, so I was attempting to see how/if it would work without them. How can I adjust the angle once the CPS washers are there?

@MSU Alum -
I've tried having the brakes set as you suggested, and of course the alternate tightening. This helps a little, but still significant rubbing occurs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll put the CPS washers back in and do some more fiddling to get the angle right. The adapter is the stock adapter that came on the bike. I think every part on my bike is still stock after 3 years of riding. Are there any tips I need to know about adjusting the angle?

·
B A N N E D
5,411 Posts
Pull the pads out and see if they are wearing down on a angle, if they have worn down a lot on a angle you'll probably need new pads.

When the CPS washers back on, have the bolts just loose enough that the caliper can move.
Press the brake lever and wrap a rubber band around it to keep it pressed.
Tighten the bolts a small amount at a time and alternate the tightening between the two bolts, don't over torque the bolts, it might cause the caliper to move when you're tightening the bolts.

* The pistons might need resetting before trying to realign the caliper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks linklight, I'll give that a try as well. I"ll report back here sometime this evening when I have a chance to do some more work on the bike.

@Cobba - the pads I have are brand new, so there isn't any angled wear down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried everything outlined in that other thread, and it seems like the pad now have some clearance. However, the outermost CPS washer closest to the bolt head still rubs. Can't figure out how to fix this -- any suggestions?

Bicycle wheel rim Rim Electric blue Cobalt blue Steel

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with Pilsner1. Sounds like the CPS washers are not stacked correctly. Check how the washers are installed on a different bike or different caliper on same bike as a reference assuming you aren't having issues with the other caliper.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

·
B A N N E D
5,411 Posts
You need to realign the caliper.
First reset the pads.
Don't use a business card on one side of the rotor like in that link you've read, doing that puts the caliper off center.
Put a flat washer between the bolt head and the CPS stack.
Before you tighten the bolts down push the CPS washers outwards so they are away from the rotor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That mount just does not look right. I agree it looks twisted and does not allow a lot of leeway to adjust the caliper correctly. OR, have you had the rear wheel off lately? Maybe it is not in the dropout perfectly square. I would pop the rear wheel off and reinstall and make sure it is tracking straight, centered and true in the frame.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
Step one, get Shimano brakes.

Rotors could be bent, dropouts misaligned, tabs require facing.

I was only half joking on the step one part - some brakes have more of pad retraction, which alleviates those issues. Rotors on aluminum carrier stay straight longer.

I always center caliper with pads out - but not all brakes let you pull them out without removing wheel. Visually, in the middle of caliper. Works every time.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Can you make sure your wheels are all the way into the dropouts? From those pictures, it almost looks like you have a bent brake mount (not sure how that happens) or wheel not aligned. Open the QR, push down the bike...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.