Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that everytime I go to buy a Pug part it's out of stock? It's getting rediculous. First I was gonna get the frame on sale from Jenson...sold out. Then the offset Shebas...sold out. Then when the Shebas came in the the hubs were out of stock.

Well, I finally have the frame/fork and wheelset from another member. I'm searching for the parts and thought I almost had everything...but the bottom bracket. I'm going with isis cranks so I decided on the FSA BB since people say they are more reliable. What do you know...they are out of stock everywhere. So, I say "hey I'll just get the Truvativ BB until they are back in stock"...now the Truvativ's are out at Universal, which is where I plan on getting the rest of the parts from.

It gets frustrating. I see how everyone is getting a bit depressed with the frame and rim stock from Surly. Sorry for the rant, just had to let some air out:madman:

Good day
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,667 Posts
I had the same problems last year when I built mine. I made a few compromises. Ended up having to source the 100mm fork out from another shop half way across the country. Super ****ing annoying. Surly is not good at maintaining their supply chain. I'll kick Eric Sovern in the balls for you at Frostbike. It's probably better to just start the build in the summer and not be too antsy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm not worried about it being built for snow around here. We only get one decent snow a year here and that usually melts within half a week. But, I do have the beach. My girlfriends Aunt and Uncle live up in Maine. They just bought a cabin near them as a get away spot and they want us to come stay in it when we want. So, I plan on bringing the fatty up there for some exploring when the time comes. I'm just impatient and don't like to drag a build out too long when I can be riding it. That's me.

If anyone has a scoop on an FSA isis BB, PM me some info:D
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
16,467 Posts
This thread is hilarious.

Does no one take personal responsibility anymore?

The hand wringing here is comical. I totally blame Surly for not maintaining the supply chain on the lowest volume, most niche-y items in this industry. God, how annoying. Lives are at stake after all!

I think they should keep this stuff on sale (thus making even less profit than they already do) year-round and through every mail order house on the planet (especially Kuwait--I hear sandbiking is experiencing double digit growth there lately...) so that folks that fail to plan ahead can still get it easy, and cheap, and ride it, or not, on beaches, and snowmobile trails. Because again, lives are at stake.

:rolleyes: :skep:

MC
 

·
=========
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
to be more specific....Kuwaiti Dune Gnomes

(thanks to mikesee for pin-pointing my source of blame)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasn't trying to turn this into a big fuss, just wanted to voice my mind 6:30 this morning.

I found the Truvativ BB on Ebay. My original plan was to purchase most of the parts from one place online since I get a discount and free shipping this month. Just trying to help the pocket out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like to order a Larry for my front, but with the track record going on...I doubt they with have one when I do. Lol. We can't bust on Surly that bad...I mean they got the fatbikes to where they are now with the ole Pugs. I love my 1x1 and can't wait to add the Pugs to my Surly fam.

Come on Surly make us pround!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,290 Posts
I've had an endo, LM's, and a pugs 100mm fork on order for nearly a month and a half now. My lbs ordered them for me and they mysteriously vaporized. Time to get an update. Good thing I've had a bout with the flu and now with bronchitis and haven't been riding, otherwise I would be apes**t crazy by now :madman:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
I know it's not as cheap as ebay, but a few of the shops in Anchorage have these components in stock more often than not. Might be a good option if you're getting desprate and need it quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
bflemin said:
I know it's not as cheap as ebay, but a few of the shops in Anchorage have these components in stock more often than not. Might be a good option if you're getting desprate and need it quick.
Agree! I would give the guys up North a call! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,667 Posts
mikesee said:
This thread is hilarious.

Does no one take personal responsibility anymore?

The hand wringing here is comical. I totally blame Surly for not maintaining the supply chain on the lowest volume, most niche-y items in this industry. God, how annoying. Lives are at stake after all!
MC
When they have the purchasing power of QBP behind them and also years of sales data behind them they should be able to make better assumptions as to how to prepare for the season. Working capital is a large investment, but you also can't sell products you don't have.
 

·
Lighten up.
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
trrubicon06 said:
I would like to order a Larry for my front, but with the track record going on...I doubt they with have one when I do. Lol. We can't bust on Surly that bad...I mean they got the fatbikes to where they are now with the ole Pugs. I love my 1x1 and can't wait to add the Pugs to my Surly fam.

Come on Surly make us pround!
Hey...I was just at the Surly office last week and even THEY didn't have a Larry on the demo rack.

Times is hard, man...times is hard... :nonod:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
It definitely pays to call around. I found one offset Large Marge at a local shop yesterday, after I had posted on a local forum that I needed one. The owner posted that he had one 2 weeks ago. I called, and surprisingly, the rim was still available!

Looks like I'll be rolling soon, which is good, since I was worried that my pug would be built for spring.
 

·
Lighten up.
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
SDmfG said:
Looks like I'll be rolling soon, which is good, since I was worried that my pug would be built for spring.
Same here. I've got two new Endo's in the Lab, so...that should get me rolling once the Speedway parts (and that pesky frame ;) ) come in....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
mangoman said:
Same here. I've got two new Endo's in the Lab, so...that should get me rolling once the Speedway parts (and that pesky frame ;) ) come in....
The frame is just a detail. :D

I've had my endos for a month, and everything else, and was just missing an offset rim for my rear wheel. Talk about piecing a puzzle together!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top