Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got one SGS World Cup Downhill frame and I just can`t believe how bad they are!!!
The geometry of the frame is too bad to be true. Even with my 7 inch Boxxer with a taller crown the head tube angle is very steep making the bike unrideble on turns and drops. The wheel base is too short making the bike very unstable.
All the pivots, links and even the rear wheel axel developed a huge play making the rear wheel to twist all over.
All right that Iron Horse Downhill team had amazing results last year but we all know that the racing bikes are diferent from the bikes that are sold to public.
The Iron Horse dealer here in Brazil was a liar. The frame suposed to arrive in one week but just arrived in one month.
- I recieved the frame with a wrong ahead set (it suposed to be a Cane Ceeek Pro and came with a FSA) so the Iron Horse dealer lied to me.
- The frame came without some bolts and spacers. Yes missing parts!
- The frame came without any owners manual, recipt or nothing that could prove that it was a legal sale and that I have any warranty.
- The 5th element shock came with the spring with scracthes that looks it has been used and the body of the shock also came with many signals that is has been used.
- Instead of a 2004 model they sent me a 2003 model that everybody knows that has a link that crack.
- The frame that I recieved has the stickers of the 2003 model but the pivot points are from the 2004 model what makes me real confused about what bike I have.
Sent an e-mail to Iron Horse Costumers Service complaining about the frame and the way that it was sold to me and got no answer.
Why Iron Horse don`t care about his clientes???
Thank you very much
Flavio Martins (MudMan)

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
i know you aren't talking about a 2003 or 2004 iron horse sgs downhill bike.

The headtube angle is around 67, pretty much in line with other bikes.

The weelbase is around 44, chainstays are 17.5, again, pretty much in line with all other DH bikes..

If this geometry sounds bad to you, you probably need a bike that is EXTREMELY slack while being shorter, which would mean the ellsworth joker for you. The bike is literally a joke because with a 5" fork it is at like 67 or 68 degrees, and with a 7" boxxer....well it's basically a chopper. You should probably ride this chopper.

You should check with your distributer if your bike was missing parts, since he lied to you in the first place he is probably the root of these problems.

Everybody does not have 2003s with cracking links.

Your distributer is at fault (again) for sending you the wrong frame if you ordered a 2004.

·
Registered
524 Posts
They tend to be good to their customers, maybe you just lucked out with the dealer. Have you thought that you dont fit the bike well? From what ive heard its an amazing bike, for a great deal. Sounds like it also isnt setup right. 30-40% sag for the 5th, and the HA shouldnt be steep.....

·
eci
2,712 Posts
I'm sorry, but you've def smoked some wacky bud man.

IH bikes are solid, so far i have owned 3 different models and have loved each one. I think your local shop put the screws to you not ih. PM SKA TODD and he will give you the best answer since he works for them but man. IH Bikes rock. and for the money they rock.

BTW 17.5 chainstays and 67○ HTA that bike would be so dope. oh and with a 5th on the rear. yum. i have an sgs with a swinger 3 way and thebike rocks my titties

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
!!!

You should work with Iron Horse or selling Iron Horse bikes to answer me like that.
You can be good on numbers of angles and stuff but I can tell you that this bike sucks. You can see in the picture I sent that the head tube angle is not 66.5 or 67 like it is on Iron Horse web site. If I don`t have the taller higher crown of my boxxer the head angle would go to 70 something.Can you explain to me why the 2004 models has a very diferent and stronger link than the 2003 model?????
If you work on Cambria Bikes can you tell me if you have that Yeti DH-8 for sale becouse this is the bike I need???
If you can see in the picture I am a Downhill Racer and for sure a freeride Joker will not work for me. I need an old model DH-8 or a new DH-9.

·
eci
2,712 Posts
mudmandh said:
You should work with Iron Horse or selling Iron Horse bikes to answer me like that..
I've owned IH bikes since 2002 and never once had a problem. any time i had a ? i called them and they worked with me immediately. If you were an informed consumer(which your not you would not be ranting like this)
mudmandh said:
You can be good on numbers of angles and stuff but I can tell you that this bike sucks. You can see in the picture I sent that the head tube angle is not 66.5 or 67 like it is on Iron Horse web site. If I don`t have the taller higher crown of my boxxer the head angle would go to 70 something.Can you explain to me why the 2004 models has a very diferent and stronger link than the 2003 model?????.
No idea why the link is stronger. again become an informed consumer and call ih yourself

mudmandh said:
If you work on Cambria Bikes can you tell me if you have that Yeti DH-8 for sale becouse this is the bike I need???
If you can see in the picture I am a Downhill Racer and for sure a freeride Joker will not work for me. I need an old model DH-8 or a new DH-9.
I work for a cell phone company, not a bike company... Theres a simple saying out there: BUYER BEWARE.

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
You've got SCAM.

Sorry man but that SUCKS big time..anyway good luck dealing with this now..

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
mudmandh said:
Got one SGS World Cup Downhill frame and I just can`t believe how bad they are!!!

Thank you very much
Flavio Martins (MudMan)
Sounds like your so called Iron Horse dealer is more like a cocaine dealer. He obviously isn't an IH dealer and if he is take it up with the importer for IH in Brazil and don't come rant about a well respected bike here lurker. Also, if you want a slacker head angle its safe to cut off your head tube and weld it on in a slacker position.

-TS

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Where's the pic you mention?

mudmandh said:
The geometry of the frame is too bad to be true. Even with my 7 inch Boxxer with a taller crown the head tube angle is very steep making the bike unrideble on turns and drops. The wheel base is too short making the bike very unstable.
All the pivots, links and even the rear wheel axel developed a huge play making the rear wheel to twist all over.
All right that Iron Horse Downhill team had amazing results last year but we all know that the racing bikes are diferent from the bikes that are sold to public.
The Iron Horse dealer here in Brazil was a liar. The frame suposed to arrive in one week but just arrived in one month.
- I recieved the frame with a wrong ahead set (it suposed to be a Cane Ceeek Pro and came with a FSA) so the Iron Horse dealer lied to me.
- The frame came without some bolts and spacers. Yes missing parts!
- The frame came without any owners manual, recipt or nothing that could prove that it was a legal sale and that I have any warranty.
- The 5th element shock came with the spring with scracthes that looks it has been used and the body of the shock also came with many signals that is has been used.
- Instead of a 2004 model they sent me a 2003 model that everybody knows that has a link that crack.
- The frame that I recieved has the stickers of the 2003 model but the pivot points are from the 2004 model what makes me real confused about what bike I have.
Sent an e-mail to Iron Horse Costumers Service complaining about the frame and the way that it was sold to me and got no answer.
Thank you very much
Flavio Martins (MudMan)
This is a very odd post. I don't have an IH, but they've sold a ton of them, and many have been reported on here on MTBR and other places. I've never heard a litany of horror like you describe about IH in general or that specific model. Even really great bikes will occassionally get slammed on this site by some clueless whiners, but there has been extremely little negative feedback on just about any of these IH models. Much of your post seems to specify issues that sound dealer related. The head angle issue should be a fairly black and white issue. Surely someone else on this site has that number--and one that isn't pulled out of their XXX. Did the dealer you did this transaction with do some kind of black market deal possibly? All I'm trying to say is that this response is not even close to normal regarding a bike that has been purchased in relatively high numbers and reported on extensively.

·
Perpetrator of Lawsuits
393 Posts
Yeah, that's a pretty odd post. I don't ride an IH, but I hear nothing but positives about them. I can understand build issues or bad components, but this guy seems to have issues with the geometry of the frame itself. Seriously, if the SGS DH had geometry issues, we'd have heard about it here about 10,000 times already. Further, I've sat on one in the store, and they are about as slack as you'd ever want.

mudmandh,

Giving you the benefit of the doubt (and based on your post there's a big doubt here), I recommend that you make further attempts to contact IH, but I seriously doubt that the frame left the IH factory in the condition you describe. Better yet, take the thing back to the guy who sold it to you, and tell him the bike is some sort of a chop-shop special and you don't want it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
yeah dude..

either your on crack or your dealer is. IH bikes are extremely well respected here on the board. Its obviously a problem with your dealer or the importer. That is a risk you take ordering from overseas and from an almost 3rd world country(no offense). As said before Id talk to ska todd and see what he has to say about it. BTW the bikes that nathan rennie and sam hill and Bryn atkinson rode last year on the WC circuit are the exact same frames with almost the exact same build that anyone can get from IH.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
There are such things as lemons, but hey, Brazil is along ways away from New York. I have owned 2 IH bikes, they are rock solid, and i have had amazing results with the customer service. Ska Todd is the man, maybe you should have been alittle bit more carefull when u bought the bike, if was all banged up, tell them to get another one, never pay full price till u have everything YOU want.

·
Why aren't you riding????
426 Posts
Two champioionships..yeah they suck!

Dude you are on crack! Either you don't get it or you got suckered. Same dimensions as any big player in Dh and a undisputed reputation for quality and customer service. And unlike almost all the other race teams both championships were won on off the floor bikes not some prototype with floor model stickers. Why don't you call IH with the serial #s and find out the real problem here is who sold it to you.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
mudmandh said:
If I don`t have the taller higher crown of my boxxer the head angle would go to 70 something..
You are definitely a crackhead.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
well for a start he lives in brazil...

and the dealer would definatly be to blame for the majority of ur issues...what i cant understand is if the f-cking bike looked like an 03 which is very easy to tell and had 04 linkages which are also very easy to tell apart from the older ones...then when the f-cking bike came into the store why the hell did u take it and not ask for ur bloody money back...if i ordered a VP-Free and i got it with a bloody bullit rear triangle and a vanilla rc...id open hand (karate) the **** outta the fool who thought i was dumb to pass it off for one...

and plus ive ridden the current 04 world cup...and um no ur wrong...normal iron horse SGSs are very bloody good bikes...and the head angles are actually quite good for racing and the wheelbase is great...not only that but the new linkages were developed by e.13...same ppl if u dont know who bought the patiented design of Evils plastic chainguide...

and yeh i think u do need a DH-9...coz there great bikes...but cost alot tho (a built up one in aus can cost as much 12-14k its crazy)...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.