Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

Here is a video project that my friend and I did over the last few months. The video is his first time shooting an interview, and my first time being interviewed lol. It was a strange process for me, I basically rambled on about how and why I stared building frames for almost two hours lol.

This is the results, what do you think?

Registered
Awesome video! It's really interesting to hear about others' views on this; the similarities and differences. For you, the filing is a meditative state; for me, it's the part I enjoy least. But I reckon the bit near the end where you say "I couldn't afford a custom bike frame, so I spent more than that on the tools to do it myself" must ring true for a lot of people 馃榾

Wanna ride bikes?
馃憤 Cool story. It's always interesting to hear the experience of new frame builders.

You left us hanging... Steel or aluminum? Can you tell the difference in ride quality? (to me it's night and day.)

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

I will be leaving everyone hanging on the steel vs aluminum bike for some time, as I still need to build them both lol.

I'm actual looking forward to that project, of building two bikes. I have never rode the same model of bike in two different materials.

Wanna ride bikes?
Thanks,

I will be leaving everyone hanging on the steel vs aluminum bike for some time, as I still need to build them both lol.

I'm actual looking forward to that project, of building two bikes. I have never rode the same model of bike in two different materials.
So the frames are finished but the bikes just aren't assembled? How did you feel about working with the two different frame materials? I would imagine the filing on aluminum went much faster, but it was probably more challenging to weld? What frame jig are you using?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
So the frames are finished but the bikes just aren't assembled? How did you feel about working with the two different frame materials? I would imagine the filing on aluminum went much faster, but it was probably more challenging to weld? What frame jig are you using?
The cross frames are still in the design process. I'm currently working on a aluminum cyclocross frame, that will be my new commuter bike. My plan is to ride that for a bit and tweak the geo for the steel vs aluminum project. My local cross races start in September so I still have sever months to build them.

Aluminum is much faster and easier to file and cut. I don't think aluminum is harder to weld it is just a bit different. I have been practicing on aluminum more as of late, I'm hoping to have a bit nicer looking welds compared to my last two aluminum frames.

I use a brew racing jig, I have a bunch of material on the way for a new jig that I'm planning on building. I want a jig that I can build a modern geo mtb and my current jig is not quite big enough for that type of frame.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Will you heat treat the aluminum?
I will heat treat the frame, there a few welding shops and powdercoaters around that can do the heat treat. The first frame I made I did not heat treat and I have had no issues. I also use 7005 aluminum for the frames, and I have read that heat treating in not required for 7005. I am sure people will argue both sides of the heat treating vs non heat treating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts