Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

With all the "pick-up" threads and the faq thread that popped-up, I've been putting some thought into this. Here's what I came up with:

Like a lot of guys, I first started reading this forum to see if I could find advice and info that my SO could benefit from. Found a ton, a lot of it helped us both (I'm a newbie, so I'm pretty clueless myself), but the most helpful advice was reading that maybe my wife just isn't gonna love this sport as much as I want her to. Still, we enjoy the occasional scenic ride together, and it's cute to see her all decked out. (She knows she over dresses for the riding we do, but she's grown attached to her camelbak, smiths, gloves, elbow and knee/shin guards, geko's, and her candy's. . . which she claims to clip-in to on occasion).

The more I visited the more I realized that this forum contained a lot of the same knowledge and technical advice you would find on a lot of the other forums - all condensed into one, and almost always better written. It seems that a lot of the pretense and occasional hostility you find elsewhere on mtbr forums usually doesn't make it here. The women's lounge replaces that with more wit, humor, and cleverness. You all have great anecdotes, too. Seriously, this forum is a fun read, and many of you are highly knowledgeable.

But most importantly, I realized that there's a sense of community here, of support, and I think that's what makes your forum so enjoyable. Weird that it exists via the web, but it does. This sense of community is what separates your forum from the other forums, and that is what a lot of these numbskulls don't get, or respect.

Every time a guy comes into your forum and types condescending or sexist posts (sometimes oblivious to their crime, other times reveling in it), I feel guilty. It gets me thinking that, well, maybe NO guys should be allowed in here. I know you all do a great (and hilarious) job at checking them, but it sucks that you have to do it so often. And then there are the repeated questions on "what bike to get my SO", "how to get my SO to like biking", etc. These are less annoying, as people ask the same questions over and over in ALL the forums (the search function is there for a reason, people).

So, why I am writing this? Partly cuz it's Friday and I'm killing time before I get to leave the office ;) . Also cuz I want to apologize for the occasional loser who posts here. I believe most of you ladies are open-minded enough to know that not all guys are like those few, but it eases my guilt a little just to say sorry.

But mostly I'm writing this to say thanks. You all have something cool here, and I appreciate being able to be a part of it, even if it's only thru reading. Unfortunately, guys will always be butting into your forum, but I believe most of us appreciate it. So . . . thanks.

Ant

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
My husband was the one that directed me to this forum

So I am glad that some guys are reading the post and having fun chatting with us. What a nice thread to read!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
sorry. . .

i knew i'd typed too much, but i didn't know what to cut out :eek: .

even in school i always had a tough time keeping my papers short.

and steve . . . over 2,000 posts?!?!? seems to me like you have a few minutes to spare. ;)

thanks for replying.

ant

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
I must admit

Sometimes it bugs me that so many guys hang out here in our virtual lounge. Because there are plenty of topics that I'd rather discuss among the women and NOT the guys.

However, there are the guys who seem to understand this, which are generally the guys who are in long-term relationships and not strangers to such topics. The other guys, rather than attempt to post an insensitive comment, are usually too shocked, stunned, and perhaps disgusted to type straight, and therefore don't bother.

Whatever the case, if it helps guys to understand their own S.O.s better, so be it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
my reasons

Christine said:
Sometimes it bugs me that so many guys hang out here in our virtual lounge. Because there are plenty of topics that I'd rather discuss among the women and NOT the guys.

However, there are the guys who seem to understand this, which are generally the guys who are in long-term relationships and not strangers to such topics. The other guys, rather than attempt to post an insensitive comment, are usually too shocked, stunned, and perhaps disgusted to type straight, and therefore don't bother.

Whatever the case, if it helps guys to understand their own S.O.s better, so be it.
I came to this forum to try to get some insight as to how the other half thinks. I will take any road to improve relations with my SO(not that it is needed). Along the way I have found some real interesting people, and as said above, it provides a welcome contrast, to the other forums. I would love to ride with all of you. Jim

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
And you might just learn something..

toneetouch said:
Hello All,

With all the "pick-up" threads and the faq thread that popped-up, I've been putting some thought into this. Here's what I came up with:

Like a lot of guys, I first started reading this forum to see if I could find advice and info that my SO could benefit from. Found a ton, a lot of it helped us both (I'm a newbie, so I'm pretty clueless myself), but the most helpful advice was reading that maybe my wife just isn't gonna love this sport as much as I want her to. Still, we enjoy the occasional scenic ride together, and it's cute to see her all decked out. (She knows she over dresses for the riding we do, but she's grown attached to her camelbak, smiths, gloves, elbow and knee/shin guards, geko's, and her candy's. . . which she claims to clip-in to on occasion).

The more I visited the more I realized that this forum contained a lot of the same knowledge and technical advice you would find on a lot of the other forums - all condensed into one, and almost always better written. It seems that a lot of the pretense and occasional hostility you find elsewhere on mtbr forums usually doesn't make it here. The women's lounge replaces that with more wit, humor, and cleverness. You all have great anecdotes, too. Seriously, this forum is a fun read, and many of you are highly knowledgeable.

But most importantly, I realized that there's a sense of community here, of support, and I think that's what makes your forum so enjoyable. Weird that it exists via the web, but it does. This sense of community is what separates your forum from the other forums, and that is what a lot of these numbskulls don't get, or respect.

Every time a guy comes into your forum and types condescending or sexist posts (sometimes oblivious to their crime, other times reveling in it), I feel guilty. It gets me thinking that, well, maybe NO guys should be allowed in here. I know you all do a great (and hilarious) job at checking them, but it sucks that you have to do it so often. And then there are the repeated questions on "what bike to get my SO", "how to get my SO to like biking", etc. These are less annoying, as people ask the same questions over and over in ALL the forums (the search function is there for a reason, people).

So, why I am writing this? Partly cuz it's Friday and I'm killing time before I get to leave the office ;) . Also cuz I want to apologize for the occasional loser who posts here. I believe most of you ladies are open-minded enough to know that not all guys are like those few, but it eases my guilt a little just to say sorry.

But mostly I'm writing this to say thanks. You all have something cool here, and I appreciate being able to be a part of it, even if it's only thru reading. Unfortunately, guys will always be butting into your forum, but I believe most of us appreciate it. So . . . thanks.

Ant
to add to the cofers..

·
Registered
45 Posts
understanding women 101

truth is most of us men are confused. we truly do want to understand the "fairer sex" better - mostly to help in our own relationships. i find re-reading old posts fun & educational. maybe we should have a seperate forum for men with women questions?! though this would take the fun out of dropping in on the womens lounge. wow it's almost voyeuristic/eaves-dropping!! :p

·
Glue Sniffer
553 Posts
adze said:
i find re-reading old posts fun & educational.
Translation: I've read the trampoline baby oil thread 8 times.

This week.

;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
steve3 said:
The reasons I like to read the Women's Forum are:

1. You guys type like you're literate, for the most part.
2. When a question or observation comes up, it's presented with a genuine attitude of wanting to understand the situation at hand. Men usually come up with such intelligent phrases as "HELP!!!MY [insert name of part here] BLEW UP!!!!" I hate when things blow up and they didn't. I also like how those nimrods don't really describe the event that led up to the "explosion".
3. I like seeing nice guys come here and get ripped apart. I like seeing douchebags come here and get ripped apart.
4. The talk here balances out the tech talk on the other threads.

Now the original post was too long for me to sit there and waste minutes of my life reading that I wouldn't get back in any way, shape, or form, so I read the title and posted based on that.
Duh, your forgot the most important one. we are smarter.....

My favorite T-shirt says
"Boy's are stupid. Throw stones at them"

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I visit once in a while to help on bike related problems. Can't try to pick anyone up due to my geographical location so pickup lines or posts are out of the question.

I can relate to some of the problems like geometry, sizing, etc because my son also has the same problems with his bike. He's 8 and is growing fast so I have to be changing his cockpit setup to acoomodate his growth. Issues like small hands, standover height, etc are common at my household.

·
Registered
823 Posts
steve3 said:
The reasons I like to read the Women's Forum are:

1. You guys type like you're literate, for the most part.
2. When a question or observation comes up, it's presented with a genuine attitude of wanting to understand the situation at hand. Men usually come up with such intelligent phrases as "HELP!!!MY [insert name of part here] BLEW UP!!!!" I hate when things blow up and they didn't. I also like how those nimrods don't really describe the event that led up to the "explosion".
3. I like seeing nice guys come here and get ripped apart. I like seeing douchebags come here and get ripped apart.
4. The talk here balances out the tech talk on the other threads.

Now the original post was too long for me to sit there and waste minutes of my life reading that I wouldn't get back in any way, shape, or form, so I read the title and posted based on that.
The first guy is just in touch with him self and sensitive, even though you have to ask why his SO couldn't just come here and read; you on the other hand are just lying. Liar, liar, pants on fire!

·
Registered
823 Posts
jimbo2k said:
I came to this forum to try to get some insight as to how the other half thinks. I will take any road to improve relations with my SO(not that it is needed). Along the way I have found some real interesting people, and as said above, it provides a welcome contrast, to the other forums. I would love to ride with all of you. Jim
Pants on fire!

·
Registered
823 Posts
adze said:
truth is most of us men are confused. we truly do want to understand the "fairer sex" better - mostly to help in our own relationships. i find re-reading old posts fun & educational. maybe we should have a seperate forum for men with women questions?! though this would take the fun out of dropping in on the womens lounge. wow it's almost voyeuristic/eaves-dropping!! :p
It just keeps getting better. You ladies should have a private post. Maybe call it "The Rules" or "400 thread counts, do we really need them?" or "Who loves Brad Pitt?" Do something, so you can keep these hounds away!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I felt like taking a peek one time in this thread just to see what was going on and you know what? It's not for men. I should have known that. Sorry, I'm not that smart, I'm a man! I think the thread at the top on that day was the one about spotting after long, hard rides. Yikes! Sorry for invading your privacy. Have a good one. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
to Mr. MAN

I would rather see the guys reading our posts, trying to understand, than picking up a lame azz copy of Cosmo from the shelf.

Kudos to you men actually reading. For those of you trying to pick women up through your posts, try Lava Life -- you might have better luck there!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts