Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not only do they make some of the most awesome bikes on the planet, they offer some of the best CS in the business!

Case in point: I placed a deposit on a Splinter MX, then got word that they were no longer going to be made. I had been looking for a bike for over a year and the Splinter was BY FAR the best one I had found. I contacted Sinister and spoke with FTW in person (a big plus in itself) to tell him my situation. He did some searching around the shop and located all the parts to custom build a Splinter for me!

It is a large, but has the standover of a samller size (my request). I still need to pedal the bike around, so the seat tube reamains full length. It is the only one FTW ever did with the cross brace from the TT to the ST. Also, the shock supports differ from the production bike in that it is all tubes, not the ususal CnC work. (Saves a good deal of weight, keeps all the strength. )

The good news continues - the first 5th Element was defective. (Bad top out clunk, no rebound.) Instead of having me ship the shock back to Progressive, Frank just swapped it with another one he had in the shop. I met him halfway between my place and his shop, and ended up riding some super nice trails with him.

Never in a million years would this happen if I had bought a mega-coprporation bike.

Oh, when I was at the shop, I got to give a parking lot test to the prototype of the bike that will replace the Splinter. I have no idea how it works, but it was a major eye-opener as to what suspended bikes are capable of.

Keep an eye on Sinister, because VERY good things are coming!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
thats sounds pretty good, it nice that they would do that for you

thats is one sweet lookin bike

what ws the prototype lookin like...any pics and or news on it...deffinatly something i might have to check out

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The prototype has a new kind of linkage on it that I do not understand at all. All I know is that it pedals incredibly well and makes square edge hits basically disappear. There is a trail (5") version and FR (7") version. What I can say is that when I tested the trail version it had one of the new Rock Shox trail forks up front that was set pretty soft, and it felt like a rigid fork compared to the back end of the bike. It was bizzare. During a lot demo of the FR version I hit a curb while seated and moving at a good clip. The fork gave the usual response (bounced a bit) and I could feel the back end of the bike roll over it, but that's all. Not even the ususal suspension "bounce." Just a very different feel. Having watched one of the SInister guys acellerating throug a rough (rocky) section of trail, I'm going to say that FTW has something good up his sleeve with this design. There is some more info over on Bustedspoke, but I can't really say more about it (simply because I don't understand it).

·
Registered
199 Posts
I hope the FR version will sport a 1.5 headtube again, because the prototype I have seen, did not.

.... and yes your Splinter looks very good!!

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
sinister is a dream bike of mine. any one of their frames are crazy nice. i think if i can find some cash i wana buy one of the hardtails. and the R9 is just supser sex. im really curious to see this new prototype.

·
Cheesiest
1,611 Posts
I was looking at a matte black DNA on Tuesday. Absolutely beautiful.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
austinb89 said:
sinister is a dream bike of mine. any one of their frames are crazy nice. i think if i can find some cash i wana buy one of the hardtails. and the R9 is just supser sex. im really curious to see this new prototype.
Absolutely agreed. Both the Ridge and the DNA are amazing HT's. Despite your signature, you should see their new XC HT, the Mustang. It's SWEET!

The R9 is a fabulous bike. The thing is so fast it is just scary, and it handles better and better as the speed / steepness increases.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cjh_mtb said:
i can't even figure out how that bike's rear suspension works, let alone the prototype
It is actually just a linkage activated single pivot. The thing behind the shock is a pull rod that activates the shock. You can adjust the length of the pull rod and doing so changes the head angle and BB height. With a few turns, you can have a trail oriented bike with a 69*HA and a high BB, or a DH bike with a 66*HA and a low BB (like in the photos above - stinking fast in this setting by the way). It is infinitely adjustable anywhere in that range.

It is a super cool design and one of the main reasons I had to have this bike (aside from the rigid, it is the only bike I own, so I may as well have 3 in 1 (trail, FR, DH), right?)

Sorry, no photos of the prototype. :nono: I think they want to keep it in the realm of the super secret until it is ready to go. Even in its comparatively unrefined proto stage, it is really awesome, though.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
My R9 is the finest downhill bike I've ridden. The way it gets more stable and begs for speed and steeps and crazy rocks can't be described. You don't notice the length unless you're moving at 1 mph. around a flat hairpin turn, but if you're riding DH you shouldnt be doing that anyway. The geometry is absolutely spot on for me (I'm 6'0-6'1 depending on time of day). The construction is incredible on it and the suspension action is just "elegant" for lack of a better word - go map it out sometime and you'll see the incredible care that Frank has put into every point of the suspension design. The construction on it is second to nothing. Being involved in metal fabrication myself I can tell you it is the finest built bike I've ever laid eyes on. If you have a chance, get one. You'll love it and it'll love you back for a long LONG time.

Being able to call up Sinister and talk to the guy who hand built your bike is something you can't find anywhere else either, and Frank is the best guy you could ask for to deal with for techy stuff. Get one!!

I can't even imagine what the proto is like if the R9 and Splinter are already as nice as they are.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DHidiot said:
My R9 is the finest downhill bike I've ridden. The way it gets more stable and begs for speed and steeps and crazy rocks can't be described. You don't notice the length unless you're moving at 1 mph. around a flat hairpin turn, but if you're riding DH you shouldnt be doing that anyway. The geometry is absolutely spot on for me (I'm 6'0-6'1 depending on time of day). The construction is incredible on it and the suspension action is just "elegant" for lack of a better word - go map it out sometime and you'll see the incredible care that Frank has put into every point of the suspension design. The construction on it is second to nothing. Being involved in metal fabrication myself I can tell you it is the finest built bike I've ever laid eyes on. If you have a chance, get one. You'll love it and it'll love you back for a long LONG time.

Being able to call up Sinister and talk to the guy who hand built your bike is something you can't find anywhere else either, and Frank is the best guy you could ask for to deal with for techy stuff. Get one!!

I can't even imagine what the proto is like if the R9 and Splinter are already as nice as they are.
AMEN , brother!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I like what he has written about the R9!!

R9 - Downhill Race

Who are you? What drives you? What are you doing? You must have asked yourself that question. Let me give you some insight about me. My name is Frank and I race my mountain bike downhill.

I carefully tune my bike. My controls are “just right” I consider my weight distribution on the bike. I walk the course. I don’t share my lines. I may say “I am just here for fun” but it’s not true. I burn to win. I try will different brake pads, and throw away a brand I don’t like even if they show no wear. Five millimeters is a mile from where I stand. I adjust my saddle though I rarely sit on it. Though I don’t try to shave grams off the weight of my bike but I know where they are and what they do and consider that information constantly. I designed the Sinister R9.

I wasn’t born with the perfect body for racing. I am heavy for my size and I only have a couple of good sprints per day. My eyesight isn’t perfect and my reflexes may not be as fast as they could be. I wasn’t designed to win. I work with what I have. My secret advantage is my bike. It’s faster than yours. If it weren’t, I would change it. I can do that. I can actually change anything I want. I can change Angles, dimensions or materials. I can even stop making them all together. I would if it wasn’t the best. I have no committee I have to consult.

Imagine if you were in my position. Design your ideal bike. Do it like I do it. Race your brains out. Weld, cut , change. Don’t stop. Test, evolve. Don’t worry about cost. Don’t worry about quantities. You are the boss. Be pushy. Be aggressive. Make the bike as perfect as it can be. Fight. Pick up that weapon and FIGHT. You are a racer and you burn to win. You will build it from the best materials. You will include details like fork bumpers, integrated chain guide mounts and cable holders that prevent “cable shimmy”. You will make it easy to work on, absolutely bulletproof and light. You would personally involve yourself with every process and see them to perfection. It would handle like a dream and save your hide when you find yourself in a bad position. You would try everything and settle for nothing. If you started today you would be late. If you started thirty years ago, you could have been me. Too late, the Sinister R9 is here.

Don’t dare make a play unless you are prepared. I’ll knock you down.

G

·
Wow that is impressive... I have dreamed about having an R9 a few times before, but I dont have the cash for that stuff.... beautiful bikes, and now they have the CS to back it up... I will have to check them out more

Infact, I will email the guy saying I have read some pretty impressive thigs about sinister, and link him to this thread...

Props..

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
zahgurim said:
Somebody would have to shoot me to get me off of my R9.

Have never ridden anything else that compares.
Not to mention that you have one of the best looking R9's I've ever seen (photos of)!:thumbsup:

Post a pic! (Yours is the wicked black and white camo one with a matching Avalanche fork, if memory serves).

EDIT: Duh! It's in the link in you sig! :blush:

·
brooklyn bike rider
504 Posts
Techfreak said:
The prototype has a new kind of linkage on it that I do not understand at all. All I know is that it pedals incredibly well and makes square edge hits basically disappear. There is a trail (5") version and FR (7") version. What I can say is that when I tested the trail version it had one of the new Rock Shox trail forks up front that was set pretty soft, and it felt like a rigid fork compared to the back end of the bike. It was bizzare. During a lot demo of the FR version I hit a curb while seated and moving at a good clip. The fork gave the usual response (bounced a bit) and I could feel the back end of the bike roll over it, but that's all. Not even the ususal suspension "bounce." Just a very different feel. Having watched one of the SInister guys acellerating throug a rough (rocky) section of trail, I'm going to say that FTW has something good up his sleeve with this design. There is some more info over on Bustedspoke, but I can't really say more about it (simply because I don't understand it).
yeah there's an interview with frank in one of this month's bike magazines.
i forget which magazine but i think it's "bike".
he was saying he had something great coming out.
i'm excited.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts