Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
It really depends where you ride. I use to love my 29 SS hard tail but lately I've been riding trails that are very rocky and that have a lot of roots. My body is getting beat up too much; time to dust of the FS rig.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Or learn to ride those...

It really depends where you ride. I use to love my 29 SS hard tail but lately I've been riding trails that are very rocky and that have a lot of roots. My body is getting beat up too much; time to dust of the FS rig.
same trails smoother. I used to ride in New England a lot when my wife was working in Salem, MA. Seeing what they ride in NE on hardtails and ss bikes was a real eye opener for me. SHOCKING is more like it. Not that I did not see fs bikes as well, but there are tons of guys up there that can ride ANYTHING on a xc hardtail or ss bike. I met guys doing 50-100 mile rides on ss bikes in super rocky, super rooty, tight and twisty NE. I was stunned because to me 20-30 miles was a lot and where I live (Long Island) is not nearly as technical as NE.
It really made me want to improve my skill level, rather than have the bike do the work for me. I am still nowhere near as good as they are (wish I lived in NE!, lol) but I am a lot better because of that experience. High volume tires run tubeless, a comfy seat and a carbon or ti post can make a world of difference. It has for me. The challenge of riding anything on my 29er ht's (geared and ss) is what I love. Just something to consider.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.