Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love this site. I love it all day everyday. Let me show `you why:

Both of these came from other MTBR members: Jon and Martin, thank you very much.

The Ultimate was a bit rough, but some ingenuity and sweat cleaned it up. The Warrior is NOS!! That still blows my mind. I ran the serial number by Tom Teesdale and he verified that he welded it April 27, 1990, and it was the fifth in that particulat batch. Apparently Tom used to code his serial numbers for date and series.

Anyway, here they are. Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha! Good eye...it's a 17.5 c-t-c, but the price was too good to pass up. I haven't decided what to do with it yet. Now I gotta figure out what to build the Brave with. Certainly period correct XT mostly, but I haven't decided on a fork yet.

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, that's #2. I know I broke the rules and picked up a non-Yeti with the Brave, but I've always wanted one so what the hell.

Speaking of the Brave, does anyone have recommendations for a fork? The pics I've seen had straight and curved blade versions. In the garage I have the following options: Switchblade, Manitou 2 (wrong period), or RS-1. Or I may shop around for a 1" Accu-trax or Logic. Anyone care to offer input?

·
brain donor
437 Posts
lucifer said:
A big thumbs down to hoarders of yeti ultimates.....
Ah come on, you can never have too many. In fact I am in the same position as 415m3, but in reverse, since I ride an ~18" Ultimate but have a 19/20" frame that I don't quite fit.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
mwr said:
Ah come on, you can never have too many. In fact I am in the same position as 415m3, but in reverse, since I ride an ~18" Ultimate but have a 19/20" frame that I don't quite fit.
So that makes three of us with 2 Ultimates each?!
That's awesome! :p

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For lucifer: I'm not hoarding, just appreciating.

For mwr: Sooooo, you say you have a frame that's too big....interesting. I had a quandry about the sizing on this one too. The top tube is very nearly 23", which shows in the catalog as a 19" frame, but it's not quite exact. And the 17.5" frames had a 22.6" top tube.

When measured center to center, this one's about 17.5", but when I spoke with Chris Herting about sizing he said that they went center to top. This one is just shy of 19" c-t. My 20" frame (c-t) has a 23.2 top tube. So I think that some of these printed frame sizes are "more or less". All I really know is this: My 20" has a 6" head tube, this 19" has a 4.5" head tube, and I don't like the bar position being 1.5" lower. So I guess I should change my sig to reflect that.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
415m3 said:
For lucifer: I'm not hoarding, just appreciating.

For mwr: Sooooo, you say you have a frame that's too big....interesting. I had a quandry about the sizing on this one too. The top tube is very nearly 23", which shows in the catalog as a 19" frame, but it's not quite exact. And the 17.5" frames had a 22.6" top tube.

When measured center to center, this one's about 17.5", but when I spoke with Chris Herting about sizing he said that they went center to top. This one is just shy of 19" c-t. My 20" frame (c-t) has a 23.2 top tube. So I think that some of these printed frame sizes are "more or less". All I really know is this: My 20" has a 6" head tube, this 19" has a 4.5" head tube, and I don't like the bar position being 1.5" lower. So I guess I should change my sig to reflect that.
I have no idea about the Ultimate, but the FRO is measured center to top of top tube.

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah, I think most of the older steel Yetis were measured the same way. So, if anyone has a 20" Ultimate frame that they would like to swap for this 19" let me know. It's had some work done and needs paint, but I can post better pics if you'd like.

·
brain donor
437 Posts
415m3 said:

Ah ok then, I guess my rider is a ~19" and the other frame is a 20", as it does have the taller head tube. Since we're talking Ultimates, I was able to find the s/n on the 20" BB, which is U140 (pretty early I guess?) but I cannot find the s/n on the 19". It is also probably an early bike since it has the steel FTW stem with the little cable hanger piercing through it (Thanks EL and DL for the ID), and also has early Yeti Cycles fork decals, not Accu Trax. So, anywhere else on the frame I should be looking other than the BB?

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, U140 is probably an '89. Does it have the headtube decal? That'll give you an idea as well. As for the serial # on the 19", it's probably under there somewhere. Many of Yeti's powdercoats were so thick the # was obscured. You can probably give it a ball-park year based on the headtube design and the seatpost collar. Pre 1992 frames had the front view Yetiman and non-welded seat collar. My 20" is a '92 with a # in the 1400s. Not that the #s were sequential, though. It was kind of a random system. Got any pics of that 20"? If you want talk business, send me an email thru my profile page.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.