Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’d like to like the LBS, I really would. They have things I like – BIKES!!! They like to talk about bikes. They’re local, I want to support someone local rather than a faceless internet site. But alas, when you can’t do your job, it makes it not like the LBS.

Case in point:

I dropped off my BLT to have it tuned and the pivots replaced on a Thursday and was told it would be ready on a Wednesday. No big deal as I would be out of town over the weekend. I received a call on Tuesday asking a few questions about the bike and the repairs needed and was told it would be done the next day. Cool I say. Thursday I go into the shop, with my DH bike (as it needed repairs – one trip would have been better but….) and to pick up the BLT.

I’m told sorry, the BLT isn’t done – one of the brakes is defective and we’re going to try and warranty it. Okay, I’m not going to ride it, but it would have been nice to get a call. Leave the DH bike to get tuned and pivots fixed.

I get a call a couple of days later, saying “Hey we're working on your BLT and your brake is screwed up” Yes, we’ve had this conversation, you were going to try and warranty it. Silence. “Oh ok, let me call you back.” Get the call back a couple of hours later “we can’t warranty it, you need to buy a new one”. Ok – no worries, if it’s busted it’s busted and I wouldn’t have ridden it anyway. I’m told it will be ready the next day. I ask about the DH bike, told it will be ready the next day too.

Go in a couple of days later – they bring out the BLT, new pivots, new brake. Wrench tells me – “you should probably get a new rear wheel, I can’t get this thing trued and it’s pretty toast.” WTF!!!!! The bike has been there for two weeks and this just comes up? I’m actually picking up the bike to go ride. Ugh. Figure I’ll take it see how bad it is as I don’t remember it being that bad. Fine. Ok. So where’s the DH bike. “What DH bike?” Wrench goes into the back. Comes back out. “yeah, your names on it but the work tag’s missing so we didn’t know what to do.” F*CK!!!!!

At this point the manager comes over and apologizes profusely. Tells me they’ll get the DH bike done that night. Fine. I leave with BLT and a busted wheel. Go ride. Wheel’s definitely screwy.

Go in the next day with wheel. Manager asks what happened (as he didn’t hear that part). Explain the story – he’s now very upset ‘How’d we let you out of here with this thing’. Whatever, just repair it. Ok they say, we’ll order a new hoop, it will be in on Monday, build will be done by Wednesday. Cool. Pay $600 for repairs / parts for BLT/DH bike. Not as cool.

On Wednesday, I call – “is wheel done?”, “Nope, rim’s (Stan’s) not here, we're expecting it any time”. Ok – no worries, I have an extra rim at home.

Call on Friday – “Is wheel done?”, “Nope, rim’s not here yet should be here soon though” Ugh.

Stop by on Sunday – Still no rim.

Call on Wednesday – “Wheel?”, “Nope, rim’s on backorder.”, “WTF!, do you know when it will be?" "No.” Screw it. I call Notubes myself. Told they have black, silver’s backordered. So this is all been held up because someone didn’t call and ask – “would you be okay with black?” ugh.

Call the shop back – explain to them how to order a rim. Told them to order the black one or whatever effing color is in stock. Told cool, we’ll have it by the weekend and it will be done.

Don’t hear anything. Call Tuesday. “WHEEL!?!?!?!”, Nope rim’s still not here” ugh.

Call on Thursday. “Wheel?” “Rim just got here.”. hmm, makes me wonder when they ordered (call me cynical at this point). “I’ll build it up now.” Cool.

Sunday – haven’t heard anything. Call, manager answers phone, he remembers the situation, “wasn’t that like 3 weeks ago?” Yes, it was. Apparently all the wrenches are out of town, soooo no wheel. Told to call back on Tuesday.

Clean garage – looking at DH bike – notice ungodly amount of crap on chain and drivetrain. Funny as I haven’t ridden it since it was “tuned”. Wondering what I really paid for.

Tuesday (today). Talk to manager. “Wheel?” “when do you need it”. “tomorrow at 5pm.’ “it will be done then.” So the wheel's still not built. unbelievalbe.
:madman:

So my wheel’s been sitting there and not done. To be fair – the manager told me he’d “hook me up”. Great.

Moral of this story – do all wrenching yourself. Purchase from faceless internet company. Find close acquaintances who can build wheels.

EDIT - I know that this is the "passion" forum and this thread is the opposite of passion! Sorry.

·
2,677 Posts
yeah you need to find another shop my friend. It sounds like an unorganized sh!t show down there.

That reminds me of a shop I brought my old Cannondale too, it took them over a month to bleed a set of brakes.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Last fall I took my bike to the LBS just for new canti brake pads and to have the crank arm tightened. $80 and a week later I picked it up. The pads were $8 pads, were not aligned and the rear one was rubbing the entire wheel rotation. The crank arm fell off 2 days later. I have since found an AWESOME shop that helps me when I need it, but I now do 95% of the work myself. I was very upset about just that, so I can't even imagine your frustration from this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, they're done. the worst part is that I have 5 - 6 bike shops within a 2 mile radius. 2 get my business pretty regular. but this one is a little out of the way, but they only do MTBs and had a good reputation and wanted someone who focuses on that to do the work. Obviously a mistake. I honestly thought about just telling them not to build the wheel because at this point I truly doubt they will do a good job. But I didnt drive to work today and I'm going riding tomorrow. ugh.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
fosbibr said:
I'd like to like the LBS, I really would. They have things I like - BIKES!!! They like to talk about bikes. They're local, I want to support someone local rather than a faceless internet site. But alas, when you can't do your job, it makes it not like the LBS.

Case in point:

I dropped off my BLT to have it tuned and the pivots replaced on a Thursday and was told it would be ready on a Wednesday. No big deal as I would be out of town over the weekend. I received a call on Tuesday asking a few questions about the bike and the repairs needed and was told it would be done the next day. Cool I say. Thursday I go into the shop, with my DH bike (as it needed repairs - one trip would have been better but….) and to pick up the BLT.

I'm told sorry, the BLT isn't done - one of the brakes is defective and we're going to try and warranty it. Okay, I'm not going to ride it, but it would have been nice to get a call. Leave the DH bike to get tuned and pivots fixed.

I get a call a couple of days later, saying "Hey we're working on your BLT and your brake is screwed up" Yes, we've had this conversation, you were going to try and warranty it. Silence. "Oh ok, let me call you back." Get the call back a couple of hours later "we can't warranty it, you need to buy a new one". Ok - no worries, if it's busted it's busted and I wouldn't have ridden it anyway. I'm told it will be ready the next day. I ask about the DH bike, told it will be ready the next day too.

Go in a couple of days later - they bring out the BLT, new pivots, new brake. Wrench tells me - "you should probably get a new rear wheel, I can't get this thing trued and it's pretty toast." WTF!!!!! The bike has been there for two weeks and this just comes up? I'm actually picking up the bike to go ride. Ugh. Figure I'll take it see how bad it is as I don't remember it being that bad. Fine. Ok. So where's the DH bike. "What DH bike?" Wrench goes into the back. Comes back out. "yeah, your names on it but the work tag's missing so we didn't know what to do." F*CK!!!!!

At this point the manager comes over and apologizes profusely. Tells me they'll get the DH bike done that night. Fine. I leave with BLT and a busted wheel. Go ride. Wheel's definitely screwy.

Go in the next day with wheel. Manager asks what happened (as he didn't hear that part). Explain the story - he's now very upset 'How'd we let you out of here with this thing'. Whatever, just repair it. Ok they say, we'll order a new hoop, it will be in on Monday, build will be done by Wednesday. Cool. Pay $600 for repairs / parts for BLT/DH bike. Not as cool.

On Wednesday, I call - "is wheel done?", "Nope, rim's (Stan's) not here, we're expecting it any time". Ok - no worries, I have an extra rim at home.

Call on Friday - "Is wheel done?", "Nope, rim's not here yet should be here soon though" Ugh.

Stop by on Sunday - Still no rim.

Call on Wednesday - "Wheel?", "Nope, rim's on backorder.", "WTF!, do you know when it will be?" "No." Screw it. I call Notubes myself. Told they have black, silver's backordered. So this is all been held up because someone didn't call and ask - "would you be okay with black?" ugh.

Call the shop back - explain to them how to order a rim. Told them to order the black one or whatever effing color is in stock. Told cool, we'll have it by the weekend and it will be done.

Don't hear anything. Call Tuesday. "WHEEL!?!?!?!", Nope rim's still not here" ugh.

Call on Thursday. "Wheel?" "Rim just got here.". hmm, makes me wonder when they ordered (call me cynical at this point). "I'll build it up now." Cool.

Sunday - haven't heard anything. Call, manager answers phone, he remembers the situation, "wasn't that like 3 weeks ago?" Yes, it was. Apparently all the wrenches are out of town, soooo no wheel. Told to call back on Tuesday.

Clean garage - looking at DH bike - notice ungodly amount of crap on chain and drivetrain. Funny as I haven't ridden it since it was "tuned". Wondering what I really paid for.

Tuesday (today). Talk to manager. "Wheel?" "when do you need it". "tomorrow at 5pm.' "it will be done then." So the wheel's still not built. unbelievalbe.
:madman:

So my wheel's been sitting there and not done. To be fair - the manager told me he'd "hook me up". Great.

Moral of this story - do all wrenching yourself. Purchase from faceless internet company. Find close acquaintances who can build wheels.

EDIT - I know that this is the "passion" forum and this thread is the opposite of passion! Sorry.
Classic over-promise, under-deliver.

:p

Sound like Jag-offs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The only thing I can say about my LBS around here is that when I called and told them what I was looking for in my price range (which was about 400-500) they immediately got an attitude with me and told me to go to walmart. It was like if I wasn't dropping a grand on the table they just treated me like a bum. I didn't like that.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,673 Posts
Quote Sticky Fingers The only thing I can say about my LBS around here is that when I called and told them what I was looking for in my price range (which was about 400-500) they immediately got an attitude with me and told me to go to walmart. It was like if I wasn't dropping a grand on the table they just treated me like a bum. I didn't like that.[/QUOTE]

So you should have got "sticky fingers" and walked out with the bike you wanted.

·
ride like you stole it
680 Posts
Yea, bike shops like to say they'll call you about issues but never seem to. But other then that I've never had problems, but they also let me do the wrenching on my bike (if the managers/owners are the guys I talk to).

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Definitely a piss-off, my LBS had someone wait 6 months for a Turner 5 Spot because of lack of communication on what colour he wanted, it sat there for 5 months waiting to be painted.:nono:

·
Registered
62 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:
Quote Sticky Fingers The only thing I can say about my LBS around here is that when I called and told them what I was looking for in my price range (which was about 400-500) they immediately got an attitude with me and told me to go to walmart. It was like if I wasn't dropping a grand on the table they just treated me like a bum. I didn't like that.

So you should have got "sticky fingers" and walked out with the bike you wanted.[/QUOTE]

Yea, sounds good. But the true meaning of my nickname comes from when my fingers get sticky and green from breaking up some hydro. :) I love hitting the trails with a fatty.

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
I'd like to like my LBS too. Sadly they're only helpful and friendly when they make money off me. At the first hint of being a high maintenance customer they turn cold and difficult to deal with and make sure my experience is slow and painful. And all I did was ask a simple question a couple times. I have to heap on major butt kissing every time I go in there if I want any kind of service. Sadly these guys can be very likable and have been around quite a while.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Learn how to service your own bike, it's not brain surgery.
The LBS is only good for buying small parts that are needed now.

Good luck,

b3ksmith

·
Registered
471 Posts
My LBS here in Korea is fantastic, even though my Korean is shockingly bad. There is another local shop that the guys I ride with call "The butcher's." Finding a decent shop can be hit and miss at times...

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
Most LBS's around here specialize in fixing flats on kids bikes. No high end parts EVER in stock, "but we can order that for you"... ummm, so can I, for 30% less. I try to support the LBS's, I really do, but not at the cost of my hard earned money... I'm not gifting them an extra 30% just to be Mr. Nice Guy.

BTW... get some basic tools and do every bit of work you can. Yes it can be a pain, but it's very rewarding and you know the quality of your own work. I would trust very little to the LBS flat-fixers behind the counter.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
I love my LBS

I manage it. we rarely have a problem with customer service but when we do I try to resolve it fast. The biggest problem I have is kicking drunken crackheads off of our roof but that's what we get for being down town. The original posters problem is a great example of what would make heads roll at our shop all I can hope is that our competition behaves like that :D .

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.