Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i hope i don't open a can of worms, and get blasted, but i just had to
share why oh, why i don't enjoy riding my bike on the trails at night.

night riding is very popular during the hot :madmax: summer months here
in arizona, and many of the people i know ride at night. some even ride
w/o lights on full moon nights (but that's a different thread :D )
so, not wanting to miss out on the "fun", about 3 yrs ago i purchased a
set of handlebar-mount halogen lights and since then have gone on
3 or 4 rides. last tuesday a friend loaned me a very bright HID light and
while it was much, much brighter than the halogens i sold last month,
i still don't get what the hoo-haa is all about.

the pics below show the main reason why i like to mountain bike. it's
beeeeutiful out there! i love to SEE the rolling hills, the cactii, flowers and
now and again a few critters - well, except for icky snakes:nono:

Attachments

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
but at night there's NOTHINGto see but the 15 or 25 feet in front
of you that the light shines on!!! aaarrgghh!!
take a look at the same trail as the second pic above.

Attachments

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i lived in florida i used to scuba dive and night diving was
something we did cuz at night different fish come out and those who
are active during the day are sleeping on some rock and one can
take their pictures. but in the desert at night...well, i guess i've made my point.

how about y'all out there? do you enjoy night riding? and if so, why?
K

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I love night riding. It adds a new challenge to old trails. It is a good way to get out in the fall, when it gets dark at 5:00 here in NY. I like nights. They're quiet and peaceful, and while you can't see much, your other senses take over, and it is beautiful in its own way.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
So don't do it!
You do not have to like night riding. Many of us do. The night has its own beauty.

I have been night riding since ~1985 and love it. I see a heck of a lot more than what is in the hot spot of my lights and more animals than on most daylight rides.

It also is essential if you want to do more than weekend rides during the winter. It can be dark at 4:30pm.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I began night riding in late 2004/early 2005 I think. While pedaling around in 30 degree weather at 6:30pm in the middle of January doesn't sound that appealing, it sure as hell beats being stuck in a Spinning class (although I'm reconsidering my anti-Spinning stance). During the winter I only get to ride outside like maybe 1-2x/week.

I agree with Shiggy, I see alot more at night than what you posted in that night pic of yours. Yeah you ain't seeing as much as you would during the day, but I think that's what makes night riding different and unique and fun. Your other senses seem to be heightened on your typical ride.

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shiggy said:
So don't do it!
You do not have to like night riding.
my point was obvious; i do not like it and i won't go again!!

shiggy said:
It also is essential if you want to do more than weekend rides
during the winter. It can be dark at 4:30pm.
it's not essential for the desert dwellers. i do ride during
the week. i just get up at 4am and get to the trail by 5. ;)
some sunrises are beautiful!

K

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
To each their own, brutha. I'd say about half my rides are night rides. I don't mind getting in from a ride at midnight (1 a.m. even). Those early wake-up times are a b!tch!

Those are some excellent sunrise pics. by the way.

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
ONe of the days I'll get a picture, but on one place where I go night riding, you can see the city lights of (For you Norcal natives) Hollister, San Jose, Almaden, Gilroy, Pacheo Pass, Monterrey and Santa Cruz. And being able to see a bunch of wildlife as well is a good bonus. I enjoy night riding :thumbsup:

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,597 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
I love night riding. It adds a new challenge to old trails. It is a good way to get out in the fall, when it gets dark at 5:00 here in NY. I like nights. They're quiet and peaceful, and while you can't see much, your other senses take over, and it is beautiful in its own way.
I love night riding, and I agree with everything Hardtails Are Better said. I only have a 12 watt halogeon, but it's bright enough. Only problems are, 1) My parents won't let me do it on pavement or dirt :madman: 2) There are very few organized night rides in my area

-Oh, well, maybe when I'm 18...it's sooo much fun when I do get a 10 minute ride in once in awhile...

·
Registered
263 Posts
kaboose said:
but at night there's NOTHINGto see but the 15 or 25 feet in front
of you that the light shines on!!! aaarrgghh!!
take a look at the same trail as the second pic above.
There's still plenty of scenery at night, just at a different level. But the photo-shopped night picture is not really representative of how it looks to ride at night (unless you only have a single light on your bar and are down to about the last 30 seconds of battery life).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Arizona is awsome at night (besides cactus and rattlers, and I have met both at night) I have seen more mice, rabbits, and cyotes at night than I do during the day.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
shiggy said:
So don't do it!
You do not have to like night riding. Many of us do. The night has its own beauty.

I have been night riding since ~1985 and love it. I see a heck of a lot more than what is in the hot spot of my lights and more animals than on most daylight rides.

It also is essential if you want to do more than weekend rides during the winter. It can be dark at 4:30pm.
agreement in full.........don't do something you don't like

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Yippy! Night riding!

Don't do it in the summer because I can ride while the sun is out. Plus if I am riding with someone at night during the summer the dust can make it really tough to see. But night riding has kept me out of the gym for the last two winters. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
busted!

psunuc said:
Nice touched up photo, I almost thought it was a real night pic.
well, i had to use the same pic to present my point. however, i overdid the darkening and when i fixed it i couldn't change the pic out.

on night rides i cannot seem to "relax" and enjoy the surroundings cuz i'm concentrating too hard on looking to where i'm going even though i know the trails.

btw, i'm not a 'bruda' but a 'sista'.

and thanks to whoever said 'to each his/her own'.

now, is there ANYONE out there like me who doesn't care for night riding? i can't be the only one! i feel i've been beaten up 'nuff:D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.