Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 29er, making me feel inferior for having a 26er. Going on and on about the superior ride quality 29" wheels can only fulfill. Here is a list on why 29er's are not good in my opinion.

1. Heavier, its obvious a 29" wheel and tire combination is heavier than a 26"wheel and tire, and the wheel is the last place you want to add weight. Less rotational mass, the better and faster you go. (Formula 1 Race teams strive on having the lightest possible wheels)

2. Cost, not only are tires, wheels and even the inner tubes more expensive, if your forks ever fail on you, forks designed for 29er's are considerably more expensive.

3. Looks, mountain bikes with 29" wheels just look goofy.

4. Convenience, I can comfortably fit my 26" wheeled mountain bike inside my Hyundai Tucson with the rear seats folded down without having to take anything apart. My friends 29er cannot fit, making it a bit of a chore taking the wheels off just to fit it in my car.

5. Handling, although I will admit, riding a 29er over rocks and tree roots is a little bit better than a 26" (a little bit) I find steering a 29er to be a bit clumsy.

So to all you 29er elitists out there, snubbing your noses at us stuck in the past 26er's, the 26" wheel is still the better choice; and if I ever need an inner tube, I can go to any walmart or Canadian Tire and buy one for cheap while you 29er's have no choice but to got to a bike shop and pay a premium for a simple inflatable rubber tube.

·
ready to ride
859 Posts
This should go over well.

FWIW I don't care what anyone rides, 26, 20, 29 32. Whatever floats your boat. You are the one that is coming off with an attitude. You have a small dick or something and feel the need to thump your chest?

Whatever get over it, and yourself while you are at it.

CLOSED

·
Perpetual n00b
1,785 Posts
6 posts eh?

lolz0rz got me some neg rep! "iowaahh, eh". iowans dont talk like that. that accent doesnt kick in until you get north of lacrosse, wi (thats wisconsin :thumbsup:)

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
No one told me troll season started. What's the bag limit?

·
Registered
179 Posts
My friend has a 29er, making me feel inferior for having a 26er. Going on and on about the superior ride quality 29" wheels can only fulfill. Here is a list on why 29er's are not good in my opinion.

1. Heavier, its obvious a 29" wheel and tire combination is heavier than a 26"wheel and tire, and the wheel is the last place you want to add weight. Less rotational mass, the better and faster you go. (Formula 1 Race teams strive on having the lightest possible wheels)

2. Cost, not only are tires, wheels and even the inner tubes more expensive, if your forks ever fail on you, forks designed for 29er's are considerably more expensive.

4. Convenience, I can comfortably fit my 26" wheeled mountain bike inside my Hyundai Tucson with the rear seats folded down without having to take anything apart. My friends 29er cannot fit, making it a bit of a chore taking the wheels off just to fit it in my car.

5. Handling, although I will admit, riding a 29er over rocks and tree roots is a little bit better than a 26" (a little bit) I find steering a 29er to be a bit clumsy.

So to all you 29er elitists out there, snubbing your noses at us stuck in the past 26er's, the 26" wheel is still the better choice; and if I ever need an inner tube, I can go to any walmart or Canadian Tire and buy one for cheap while you 29er's have no choice but to got to a bike shop and pay a premium for a simple inflatable rubber tube.
amen:thumbsup:

·
Registered
246 Posts

You idiot- Walmart sells 29" tubes as well :nono:

·
Just Ride
1,738 Posts
Well from what I hear lately 650b or 27.5" is the best choice. But I digress. I ride a 29er and love it! . Ride whatever works for you. Let others ride what works for them. As for tubes, go tubless? I dunno, but don't come in here bashing a type of bike just because you don't like it.

·
High Gravity Haze
418 Posts
No one told me troll season started. What's the bag limit?
I think it started about a week ago with a ghoulie crawling out of the toilet pontificating about roads and cyclist. I think it meant to crawl out of RBR's toilet instead of MTBR's.

No bag limit.
No tag or capture restrictions.
This one's launching an assault right out the gate on what could be the closest thing to religion that some folks have.

·
clown question, bro
499 Posts
I think it started about a week ago with a ghoulie crawling out of the toilet pontificating about roads and cyclist. I think it meant to crawl out of RBR's toilet instead of MTBR's.

No bag limit.
No tag or capture restrictions.
This one's launching an assault right out the gate on what could be the closest thing to religion that some folks have.
Also no restrictions on method of capture. It's open season.

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
Hmmm, great post. And since you are the greatest and smartest person ever, can you explain to me why mfg's are doing away with most of there 26" bikes for 2013?

1 - 20 of 281 Posts