Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching on adding gears to a Monocog 29er and I have seen a couple of threads that included three speed set ups because that's all that will fit on the stock hub. Is there in reason why a regular geared wheelset and a derailluer hanger adapter wouldn't work to make it a 1x9?

·
WWYD?
1,604 Posts
I'm looking at the Saint 26" wheel set with rear derailleur at Pricepoint for $169 and re-lacing it onto a 29er rim. OR waiting until I can get a Flight and put an XTR on the back.

There ain't nothing wrong with the singly though...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the gentle responses. I was bracing for a flaming because I posted this on the SS forum.

What I'm looking to do is make the Monocog a mutli use bike, being able to convert it to gears for road and mutli terrain rides and be able to convert it back to SS when I want. I was thinking of selling it and getting a Flight 29er but I like the fit of my 19" Monocog so well that I'm afraind to mess with it. Does anyone know where I could get just a rear wheel?

·
i ride bikez!!11!
485 Posts
WVJon75 said:
Thanks guys for the gentle responses. I was bracing for a flaming because I posted this on the SS forum.

What I'm looking to do is make the Monocog a mutli use bike, being able to convert it to gears for road and mutli terrain rides and be able to convert it back to SS when I want. I was thinking of selling it and getting a Flight 29er but I like the fit of my 19" Monocog so well that I'm afraind to mess with it. Does anyone know where I could get just a rear wheel?
Most of the online retailers sell single wheels. Even your LBS should have some in stock.

·
Registered
97 Posts
tozovr and others; people have posted the DMRs before but has anyone actually used them? I wonder how well they fit among different frames.

Also Vassago (www.vassagocycles.com) has what seems to be a (very cool) proprietary version, On-one had a hangertug similar to the DMR.

I have a brand-spanking new SRAM 9 speed cassette sitting on my shelf (long story) and it's killing me to not use it but at the mo I only have a frame with horizontal dropouts and don't feel like shelling out for a hub-mounted derailleur + wheel. I suppose I should just save up for a Monocog Flight...

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
356 Posts
(sorry for the geared content) I'm planning something similar.....

EastCoast said:
tozovr and others; people have posted the DMRs before but has anyone actually used them? I wonder how well they fit among different frames.

Also Vassago (www.vassagocycles.com) has what seems to be a (very cool) proprietary version, On-one had a hangertug similar to the DMR.

I have a brand-spanking new SRAM 9 speed cassette sitting on my shelf (long story) and it's killing me to not use it but at the mo I only have a frame with horizontal dropouts and don't feel like shelling out for a hub-mounted derailleur + wheel. I suppose I should just save up for a Monocog Flight...
... so I purchased a set of the DMR tugs through my local LBS to use an old Kona frame I have with horiz drop-outs. It took them FOREVER to get here. The tugs seemed like a high quality part and the one test fit I did on the frame seems like they will work for my application. I never bothered to check if that were designed for DMR frames only. My idea is a little less radical than your ass I was gonna try and split the difference between your suggested 9 speed and PVD's 5 speed and go 1X 7 provided I can find all the parts.
I'd post pics but the frame is actually at a local shop have cable guieds added to run the shifter cable.

On a side note I would be all over Jenson's Saint offer but I ain't sure the rear wheel would hold up under load on a frame with horiz. drop-outs.

·
WWYD?
1,604 Posts
Ratman said:
On a side note I would be all over Jenson's Saint offer but I ain't sure the rear wheel would hold up under load on a frame with horiz. drop-outs.
I thought the Saint hub was beefy? Wouldn't the tugs provide some fore and aft stiffness.

I think I have to add in a Shimano centerlock rear brake setup too. So its at least $350 before I'm done. Comparing that with a Flight frame for around $400 and all the old parts from several 26ers. I'm beginning to like that idea better.

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
356 Posts
johnnyb said:
I thought the Saint hub was beefy? Wouldn't the tugs provide some fore and aft stiffness.
I hate to admit it, but, I've never really done any research or even looked at the Saint line-up in person. All I really know about it is that its a Freeride groupo (I think)? I saw the jenson deal listed in the "hot Deals" section of this site and figured it was worth a look. You are correct though, my concern is more about the rear wheel moving in the drop-outs that the sturdiness of the hub. Anyway I don't ride agressive enough where parts breaking is ever a worry (knock on wood). My other issue is that the front wheel is a 20mm throughaxle. Not sure if the Saint can be converted to a standard QR or not...

johnnyb said:
I think I have to add in a Shimano centerlock rear brake setup too. So its at least $350 before I'm done. Comparing that with a Flight frame for around $400 and all the old parts from several 26ers. I'm beginning to like that idea better.
Agree'd. There certainly are more cost effective/better options.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I'm looking into doing the same thing, only I would use Hone parts for their relatively low cost. The DMR parts look good and the website says they are distributed through QBP, so any US bike shop could get them. I do a lot of rides that involve long road sections, then trails or blasting through deep snow, so I think the 1x9 would be great for this.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Ratman said:
I hate to admit it, but, I've never really done any research or even looked at the Saint line-up in person. All I really know about it is that its a Freeride groupo (I think)? I saw the jenson deal listed in the "hot Deals" section of this site and figured it was worth a look. You are correct though, my concern is more about the rear wheel moving in the drop-outs that the sturdiness of the hub. Anyway I don't ride agressive enough where parts breaking is ever a worry (knock on wood). My other issue is that the front wheel is a 20mm throughaxle. Not sure if the Saint can be converted to a standard QR or not...

Agree'd. There certainly are more cost effective/better options.
Since you would be running the Saint wheel as a geared setup just mount it all the way forward in the dropouts. It can not move forward from there.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
If your going to all that trouble..

johnnyb said:

Just spend $275 for a new frame shipped.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FR405A02-Zion+737+Frame.aspx

Then you can swap the parts @will.

Just my 2 cents

1G1G, Brad

·
WWYD?
1,604 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
...... riding 1 to 9 on my 26er.
Now that I have experienced 29 on MY GF RIG I wont go back.
Transforming the SS into a geared 29er, (bought second hand HONE parts to build up a rear wheel) keep you posted

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Working on that myself

WVJon75 said:
I've been researching on adding gears to a Monocog 29er and I have seen a couple of threads that included three speed set ups because that's all that will fit on the stock hub. Is there in reason why a regular geared wheelset and a derailluer hanger adapter wouldn't work to make it a 1x9?
... but of course, I'm broke, so I can't get past the research phase. :D

I'm planning on building a gearie rear wheel for my MC29er. Here's my current plan:

XT 6 bolt disc rear hub. $45. Replace axle with solid nut axle to use with horizontal dropouts and tuggers... another $10 or so.
Salsa Delagato CX rim, $30 or Bontrager Mustang rim brake rim, also $30 from a guy on these boards.
DR Swiss Spokes, alloy nipples... maybe Brass. Weight isn't a big concern on this bike.
Find a bolt on claw type deraillerr hangar to use with horizontal dropouts.

I already have some LX shifters, cogs and derailleurs in my parts bin. That will work fine.

I don't have a rear disc brake yet, so I need the wheel to work with both kinds to let me upgrade in the future.

or...

universalcycles.com can custom build a whole XT/Salsa 29er wheel for you for about $150.

I have a WTB disc hub and bontrager rim built up for my wife's bike that she never rides that has rim brakes anyway. I'm tempted to rob the hub and build up a wheel with that. But then I would have to build her another wheel, and all that sounds like more than a $45 PITA to me (not to mention $35 in spokes and nipples if the replacement hub has different sized flanges), so I'll prolly just buy a new hub... or find a cheap used one at a swap meet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.