Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the 1x trend going on, they should be able to sell like hotcakes. I know some shifting performance might be lost, but I think they could figure it out. I know SRAM probably doesn't want people go go 1x10 because it will hurt xx1/x01 sales, but I see no reason for Shimano to not do this.
Something like this?
11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-36-40
OR
11-13-16-19-22-26-30-34-38-42

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you change the gearing on the upper end, you get much better ratio changes. Something like this, would work better, imo:

11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-35-40

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
With the 1x trend going on, they should be able to sell like hotcakes. I know some shifting performance might be lost, but I think they could figure it out. I know SRAM probably doesn't want people go go 1x10 because it will hurt xx1/x01 sales, but I see no reason for Shimano to not do this.
Something like this?
OR
Because it looks like Shimano has plans to release a XTR 1 X 11 drive train in 2015:

2015 Shimano XTR 1×11 Wide Range Photos Surface Online

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7
1,678 Posts
I agree. Why Shimano doesn't just step up and offer an affordable 1x10 appropriate cluster (11-40 would be fine) is beyond me. They are letting the competition take marketshare and make $ hand over fist with these $100 42 tooth cogs...that also degrades the shifting performance of the rest of the range. They could make an XT level cassette that had no big gaps for $150 and they would sell like hotcakes. I already have tried a WT that didn't work ($100 down the drain) and now have a Hope 40t that works well (but hate the hesitation and clunkiness between 15-19, another $100) and I'd still be first in line to buy a complete unit.

Maybe someone will produce a whole cassette aftermarket. Wishful thinking, I know.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Because with 1x11 one has to buy a new derailleur and a shifter. Not just a cassette.
Why make only $150 if there is potential for more...

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
If you read the threads you see that some people have trouble, others don't mind the slow shifting, others have it shift fine.
Think Shimano wants all those headaches and phone calls? If it was a factory Shimano setup, you think all those people wold accept slightly flaky shifting - they'd be all over the manufacturer complaining and it would hurt Shimano's reputation.
People are willing to accept a jury rigged setup they went into with "lets see" expectations.

·
Registered
14,871 Posts
If you read the threads you see that some people have trouble, others don't mind the slow shifting, others have it shift fine.
Think Shimano wants all those headaches and phone calls? If it was a factory Shimano setup, you think all those people wold accept slightly flaky shifting - they'd be all over the manufacturer complaining and it would hurt Shimano's reputation.
People are willing to accept a jury rigged setup they went into with "lets see" expectations.
^that's why.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Something like this?
OR
Because probably the market is very small (in the big Shimano scheme of things) ...

As much as many (myself included) would like to have a XT 1142, reality is that the single ring trend has its limits: there is no way that it can ever replace the range of a dual with, say, 1136 or their upcoming Shimano 1140. So I can see why Shimano stays the course and refines its dual, bringing in electronic shifting and as a spin off, but only as a spin off, eventually providing a cassette (and derailleur) with a larger range.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
The 1x is an afterthought for Shimano. Seems like they are standing by their 2x and 3x setups.

Whoever comes out with a rear derailleur that can handle the 42T reliably...will sell them faster than they can make them.

SRAM has their X01 "DH" X Horizon 10sp rear derailleur. I wonder what separates it from the 11sp version? If only the indexing was changed for 10sp...I don't see why it won't take a 42T cassette. That derailleur will work with a X9, X7 shifter too.

SRAM also has a "X1" page on their website with just a crank. Hopefully they will start populating it with 1x 10 speed parts. Maybe we'll see more after Sea Otter this weekend.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
The 1x is an afterthought for Shimano. Seems like they are standing by their 2x and 3x setups.
Your statement may be correct, although as I posted above Shimano seems to be releasing a 11/40T cassette for a 1 x11 drive train. It looks like there will also be an appropriate derailleur.

That said, I'm currently still riding an XT nine speed with 11/34T cassette and 22T chain ring on a 29" bike. The XX1 28T ring and 42T cog is still geared higher than my nine speed combination.

Shimano recently put a XT 22/30/40T crankset on the market which with an 11/36T cassette results in the same gearing most of us got used to on 26" bikes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree. Why Shimano doesn't just step up and offer an affordable 1x10 appropriate cluster (11-40 would be fine) is beyond me. They are letting the competition take marketshare and make $ hand over fist with these $100 42 tooth cogs...that also degrades the shifting performance of the rest of the range. They could make an XT level cassette that had no big gaps for $150 and they would sell like hotcakes. I already have tried a WT that didn't work ($100 down the drain) and now have a Hope 40t that works well (but hate the hesitation and clunkiness between 15-19, another $100) and I'd still be first in line to buy a complete unit.

Maybe someone will produce a whole cassette aftermarket. Wishful thinking, I know.
blaklabl, I am as I assume most here are interested in a wide ratio cassette. Numerous searches have yielded mixed results with the 42 cog conversions. I think all the articles I have read indicate the 42 cog works, you tube videos seem to confirm that. What trouble are you having? What RD are you using. Have you contacted wolf tooth? One up is now giving away a 16t cog with their 42/40 cogs, that should hopefully solve the 15-19 and the lack off 16t availability. They also have set up instructions and seem to want you to contact them with any problems, they seem very confident it works. I would love to here your real world unbiased experience as the 42 cog really seems a great match for my needs. thx

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Something like this?
OR
That cassette is available; http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...ew-option-11-40-10-speed-cassette-872188.html

or you could do a 11sp/10sp hybrid; http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...rdi-racing-9x42-cassette-10-speed-895767.html
Because probably the market is very small (in the big Shimano scheme of things) ...

As much as many (myself included) would like to have a XT 1142, reality is that the single ring trend has its limits: there is no way that it can ever replace the range of a dual with, say, 1136 or their upcoming Shimano 1140. So I can see why Shimano stays the course and refines its dual, bringing in electronic shifting and as a spin off, but only as a spin off, eventually providing a cassette (and derailleur) with a larger range.
As i pedal around on my xo1 setup i can't help but think this is not for everyone. I am old, slow, and my hammering days are long behind me and this xo1 is perfect for me. Depending on the tooth count up front you are missing +/- 2 shifts on either end making that 20% climb and/or holding 20+mph difficult if you are not super fit.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7
1,678 Posts
blaklabl, I am as I assume most here are interested in a wide ratio cassette. Numerous searches have yielded mixed results with the 42 cog conversions. I think all the articles I have read indicate the 42 cog works, you tube videos seem to confirm that. What trouble are you having? What RD are you using. Have you contacted wolf tooth? One up is now giving away a 16t cog with their 42/40 cogs, that should hopefully solve the 15-19 and the lack off 16t availability. They also have set up instructions and seem to want you to contact them with any problems, they seem very confident it works. I would love to here your real world unbiased experience as the 42 cog really seems a great match for my needs. thx
Thanks for your concern, it didn't come off sarcastic at all. I had no success with the WT cog, it was just too much for my SLX mid-cage derailleur and I wasn't willing to have such sloppy shifting in the smaller cogs due to the max b-tension I had to put on it to make it clear the large 42t. I swapped it out for a Hope 40t-rex and it shifts fine up and down the range with the same setup and considerably less b-tension. The "gap" between 15-19 bothers me, as I said before its either too much gear or not enough. I would like a 16t and I think that would fix a lot of the issue, but if you take the time to read about the 1up they are not selling them separately (yet). My point was if someone would just produce a 10 speed 12 (or even 11) - 40 cassette I think they would sell like hotcakes. I am not as much a tinkerer as it would appear most on here fancy themselves as. I am willing to pay for parts that bolt on and work out of the box. It's really just that simple. Tyring to find a 12t outer cog and lockring seems to be an exercise in futility as well.

As a side note, I did help my friend set up his 1up 42t with a SRAM mid-cage clutch derailleur this weekend and it worked great on the first try. So I think that SRAM drivetrains are definitely a better bet for these conversions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for your concern, it didn't come off sarcastic at all. I had no success with the WT cog, it was just too much for my SLX mid-cage derailleur and I wasn't willing to have such sloppy shifting in the smaller cogs due to the max b-tension I had to put on it to make it clear the large 42t. I swapped it out for a Hope 40t-rex and it shifts fine up and down the range with the same setup and considerably less b-tension. The "gap" between 15-19 bothers me, as I said before its either too much gear or not enough. I would like a 16t and I think that would fix a lot of the issue, but if you take the time to read about the 1up they are not selling them separately (yet). My point was if someone would just produce a 10 speed 12 (or even 11) - 40 cassette I think they would sell like hotcakes. I am not as much a tinkerer as it would appear most on here fancy themselves as. I am willing to pay for parts that bolt on and work out of the box. It's really just that simple. Tyring to find a 12t outer cog and lockring seems to be an exercise in futility as well.

As a side note, I did help my friend set up his 1up 42t with a SRAM mid-cage clutch derailleur this weekend and it worked great on the first try. So I think that SRAM drivetrains are definitely a better bet for these conversions.
Sorry if i sounded sarcastic, i really wasnt trying to be. i am just hoping to learn from your experience. every "unbiased" article i can find indicate the 42t cog are working great and most show a xt or xtr RD. I would love it, if it worked with shimano, which is what i would really love to use. finacially im probably only going to get one shot at this, so im trying to do my homework. the 42t cog, seems like it makes all the difference to get me in my needed ratios, and the 40t leaves me wanting. i wish the makers of these cogs would just say it works great with these RD's and so-so with these. but they dont seem to indicate any problems at all. which is why i was wondering if you tried calling any of them as they might have some solution you hadnt thought of or just admit the problem. i appreciate your quick response and insight.

you are right on the 16t cog, not available by itself yet. 40/42 seem on back order. and i believe if you bought a 40/42 previous to the 16t cog, you can email for free one.

thx again, for your time

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Well...the 42T does work great...its the smaller ones that don't...buuut...its a compromise people are willing to make to simplify their bikes. In the three lower cogs, I just have to hold the shifter a second longer than I used to. Once I got used to doing it...it isn't so bad...even in areas where I'm pedaling fast and shifting. You just have to be more aware of pre selecting your gears.

We don't need cassettes we need a rear derailleur. If a company made a derailleur that can go beyond the 36T without cranking the b-tension all the way in...that would be the ticket. Doesn't seem realistic for a company like SRAM or Shimano to come out with a stand alone rear derailleur without a complete group. If that was to happen...it would be a third party company...and it would cost 400 bucks.:prft: :ihih:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
SRAM and shimano develop products for the race circuit. All our 'standard issue' stuff like 10sp that we see now was developed and was cutting edge even a few years ago.....and even then people said 'who needs 10sp'
Movement is always forward.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7
1,678 Posts
Sorry if i sounded sarcastic, i really wasnt trying to be. i am just hoping to learn from your experience. every "unbiased" article i can find indicate the 42t cog are working great and most show a xt or xtr RD. I would love it, if it worked with shimano, which is what i would really love to use. finacially im probably only going to get one shot at this, so im trying to do my homework. the 42t cog, seems like it makes all the difference to get me in my needed ratios, and the 40t leaves me wanting. i wish the makers of these cogs would just say it works great with these RD's and so-so with these. but they dont seem to indicate any problems at all. which is why i was wondering if you tried calling any of them as they might have some solution you hadnt thought of or just admit the problem. i appreciate your quick response and insight.

you are right on the 16t cog, not available by itself yet. 40/42 seem on back order. and i believe if you bought a 40/42 previous to the 16t cog, you can email for free one.

thx again, for your time
Well I will cut you heck of a deal on my Shimano WT 42t if you're interested. As I said I was using an SLX mid cage. Hell I'll even throw in the longer b-screw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well I will cut you heck of a deal on my Shimano WT 42t if you're interested. As I said I was using an SLX mid cage. Hell I'll even throw in the longer b-screw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
More reading, your experience, and email to oneup ("If you are replacing your entire drivetrain, then I would probably recommend a SRAM X9 or X0 medium cage, type 2 derailleur.") seem to point to toward the x9 type 2 RD. I guess if its between using a 40t with shimano or a 42t with sram...... sram shifts alright, doesn't it?

·
Registered
68 Posts
And from wolf tooth: " The SRAM Type 2 rear derailleur works the best. X9 or X7 are the budget options. XO is the higher end one."

i think that pretty much confirms it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts