Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Total newbie question, but why do you grease seat post (the part that goes into frame), bars(the part that goes into stem, seat post collar, saddle rails (that connects to seat post clamp), inside of brake and shifter connectors that get tightened around bars.

Also is polylube 1000 ok for this stuff or should that only be used on the bottom bracket, headsets and hubs as stated?

What else do you use polylube 1000 for?

Thanks for your time and insight.
 

·
SS Pusher Man
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
Grease anything that gets threaded or pressed into frames.....it will make it easier to remove at a later time if/when needed.

Also helps to prevent creaking/squeaking.

Never heard of anyone greasing the underside of the Shifter/Brake lever clamps.

Lube the seatpost so you can raise or lower the post......leaving it dry, you risk the post becoming frozen in the seattube.

I often lube the QR lever on the seatpost clamp, to help with opening and closing.

Seat rails......goes back to that creaking/squeaking thing.

Park Poly Lube is fine for all of these applications.

HOWEVER: Witha carbon seatpost, you don't grease it with normal grease. Carbon post into a steel/al/Ti frame, leave it dry. Carbon Post into a carbon frame, use carbon friction paste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,565 Posts
mtnbikej said:
Park Poly Lube is fine for all of these applications.
Park grease is a great product but if you have a white frame and don't clean off all of the excess grease it will permanently stain your frame or other white components. There is a company (blanking on the name right now) that makes a clear, odor-less, and stain-less grease for about the same price, all of the bike shops in my area use it and recommend it.
 

·
SS Pusher Man
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
sasquatch rides a SS said:
Park grease is a great product but if you have a white frame and don't clean off all of the excess grease it will permanently stain your frame or other white components. There is a company (blanking on the name right now) that makes a clear, odor-less, and stain-less grease for about the same price, all of the bike shops in my area use it and recommend it.
White frames are fine.......I have been running them for 10 years.....never had a problem with them staining.......then again, I don't leave the excess grease on it either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,565 Posts
mtnbikej said:
White frames are fine.......I have been running them for 10 years.....never had a problem with them staining.......then again, I don't leave the excess grease on it either.
I've run into 2 issues, neither my fault, though. One was a bmx bike and the other a mountain bike. The bike shop left excess grease residue around the bottom bracket and seat tube and brake posts (U-brakes on the bmx bike) after they built the bikes and with it sitting on the showroom floor, the Park Poly Lube stained it a nasty brown-green color within a couple days. I've got nothing against Park lube, hell I use it at home for everything, just warning people with white frames to be cautious.
 

·
SSOD
Joined
·
826 Posts
^^^ Good reason to do your own wrenching but thanks for the advice, I've got a pearl white frame. I keep it clean and greased and would never leave grease or anything like that just sitting on the frame. I don't trust anyone working on my bikes except a few guys, even then I am watching everything they do.
 

·
Maaaaan
Joined
·
4,259 Posts
sasquatch rides a SS said:
Park grease is a great product but if you have a white frame and don't clean off all of the excess grease it will permanently stain your frame or other white components. There is a company (blanking on the name right now) that makes a clear, odor-less, and stain-less grease for about the same price, all of the bike shops in my area use it and recommend it.
You might be thinking of "Slick Honey".
It's a great grease. Park Bicycle Lube is good too.
Rock Shox Judy Butter is great for lubing suspension seals.

The "Slick Honey" can be used on almost any bike component.
 

·
Tool
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
Tri-Flow synthetic grease is clear, and I don't recall any odor (it's always tough to smell anything over my own enchanting musk, though).

I haven't tried leaving any on a white surface to see what happens, though.

-Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,565 Posts
Pedalphile said:
Tri-Flow synthetic grease is clear, and I don't recall any odor (it's always tough to smell anything over my own enchanting musk, though).

I haven't tried leaving any on a white surface to see what happens, though.

-Pete
Your name, signature, and your "enchanting musk" is creeping me out man :lol:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top