Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if its a law in the U.S. but I seem to remember every bike I have ever gotin has had reflectors on it when I took it home from the LBS. I see that just about ever bike on here dos not have any reflectors. why dos every one talk them off? I have been out a few times where it has gotin dark and I had wished that my hole bike was covered in reflectors. dos it add the much wait or do people think it just look stupid?

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
because they're useless, even on road bikes. (well, useless in comparison to what you should have on your bike).

a small led powered blinking light is dramatically more visible on the back, same for a small head light up front. a lot of city/state laws require lights if you're riding at night. reflectors wont cut it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
One Pivot said:
a small led powered blinking light is dramatically more visible on the back, same for a small head light up front.
+1

If you are worried about being visible from the side, many types of bike clothing have reflective material. Or you can put reflective tape on your bike.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
Reflectors as the name goes "reflect" light aimed at them. They're not very useful though for preventing getting hit by cars without their headlights on at night (which is a surprisingly common sight in many cities every day of the week).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, so it is clear that there is a lot better ways to be seen at night, but no one has told me yet why anyone would take them off. (they do brake off, but that still dos not enplane whey no one is running them.) why not just lave them on as one more thing to keep a car from hitting you?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
ChevyM14 said:
ok, so it is clear that there is a lot better ways to be seen at night, but no one has told me yet why anyone would take them off. (they do brake off, but that still dos not enplane whey no one is running them.) why not just lave them on as one more thing to keep a car from hitting you?
Actually the first responder did. Most people would argue that littering trails with plastic reflector bits is a bad idea. If the bike is a commuter only... by all means leave them on.

88mustanggt said:
they fall off on the trail. if you ever do a night ride you will see them scaterd off the trail

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
NashVis said:
Took em off cause they look ghey. Now I wish I had a more techy reason for doing so.
Can't believe it took 9 posts for that response. I figured it would be in the top 2! :)

·
Ride Responsibly
1,946 Posts
Because reflectors fall off and litter the trails, so most just remove them at home. They get loose and rattle. They serve no purpose on a trail, only on a road.
I feel most of us refine our bikes to suit their intended purpose and do not want extra clutter on the bike.
We choose parts that stand up to rough use.
If you feel safer with reflectors then feel free to deck the halls with as many as you like.
I have small strips of reflective tape on my mountain bikes for times I may spend on the road after dark. They weigh nothing, do not rattle and do not fall off. My seat also has reflective surfaces built in.
My cruiser has reflectors because they serve a purpose on the road and look so cool.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
They are required by our wonderful CPSC http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/regsumbicycles.pdf.

I take them off as they're useless on my bikes and look like crap to boot. If I ride at night on the road I use a proper light and flasher for the rear of the bike, not worried about being hit from the side, just the rear. On trail at night no flasher and well, stealth can be a good thing...

·
1946:2006:2066
1,458 Posts
ChevyM14 said:
I dont know if its a law in the U.S. but I seem to remember every bike I have ever gotin has had reflectors on it when I took it home from the LBS. I see that just about ever bike on here dos not have any reflectors. why dos every one talk them off? I have been out a few times where it has gotin dark and I had wished that my hole bike was covered in reflectors. dos it add the much wait or do people think it just look stupid?
I put reflectors on my Shimano DX pedals
BLING-BLING

·
Registered
504 Posts
A couple of fellas I know have had wheel reflectors come adrift and smash spokes.

Before they told me that I thought they were a great idea as they help make a bike easier to see on the road at night.

One incident resulted in a new sport called "road bouncing".

·
Registered
342 Posts
Reflectors, and that plastic disc behind the cassette make a nice mountain bike look like a department store bike. Save some weight and look less Walmart in the process. If you're using the bike for its intended purpose, reflectors are not useful. If you need to ride on the road, then I suggest you have proper blinkers front and back.

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
On my roadbike, I actually put reflectors ON the wheels (it was a project to make my bike look like more of a piece of garbage). However, at speeds on downhills, they actually misbalance my wheels quite a bit ... to the point the bike actually shuddered ... which isn't nice on a roadbike at 60+km/h.

I ended up putting reflective tape on the frame, though I could have added an opposing reflector to fix the problem too. Of course, if I hadn't smashed the reflectors off after that horrible first downhill.

At present, that bike has reflective tape on the side of pretty much every tube, blinkers front and back, handlebar streamers (those are new) and an orange flag ... it's the ugliest Devinci you have ever seen but it does it's job of being visible far better than those reflectors ever did.

Edit: oh, and the tape weighs less :)

1 - 20 of 127 Posts