Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe more of a road bike question than a mountain bike question. I have no experience with Lefties but from people who do I always hear that despite appearance, they're often stiffer than traditional forks and weigh less. So, why don't they make them rigid using the same principals? Seems like for road bikes you could also cut down on drag a little using the same idea since that is always a selling point on the high end frames.

And there's my random thought for the day.

Coming tomorrow, why lefty and not righty? :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think when people state that lefties are stiffer they are referring to the flex that can occur given the enginerring of a suspension system. I don't believe those same characteristics would apply to a rigid for. SO, why then would you want a rigid lefty? It limits your headset and hub options, offers no known performance benefit, and would probably just be a reason for them to charge way too much money for something silly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
The fork leg would need to be a pretty big diameter (much like the Lefty suspension fork) so my guess is that it would create MORE drag...plus it looks funny so the UCI would ban it ;)

PS-here's your righty
UCI wouldn't ban it cause it looks funny.They would ban it because it is DIFFERENT !:eek:

·
Registered
581 Posts
BostonBoy said:
I think when people state that lefties are stiffer they are referring to the flex that can occur given the enginerring of a suspension system. I don't believe those same characteristics would apply to a rigid for. SO, why then would you want a rigid lefty? It limits your headset and hub options, offers no known performance benefit, and would probably just be a reason for them to charge way too much money for something silly.
"silly"? Tell that to the host of very satisfied lefty owners out there...seems a tad narrow to think (and believe) this way no?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
BostonBoy said:
yep, the Lefty uses a squared off inner leg that rolls on a long section of needle bearings and this design along with the thru-axle wheel mounting makes the fork much stiffer than an average suspension fork.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Moozh said:
"silly"? Tell that to the host of very satisfied lefty owners out there...seems a tad narrow to think (and believe) this way no?
he's not saying lefty's are silly but that a rigid lefty would be. However, Cannondale did at least avoid the headset/steerer complications of their susp forks on the Bad Boy

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Ya mean like this fork from Spanish company, Black Cat Bone? weighs 660 grams, carbon fiber and aluminum construction.
my niner weighs <600g and I got to use my existing headset and wheel. :D
i do think lefty's are cool, but not because of the gimmicky look. i think they're cool because it's a friggin sweet idea and they made it work while being lighter and stiffer than conventional forks. maybe they can do the same for rigid... :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
boomn said:
he's not saying lefty's are silly but that a rigid lefty would be. However, Cannondale did at least avoid the headset/steerer complications of their susp forks on the Bad Boy
I figured 'bostonboy' was referring to the rigid lefty as frankly the suspended lefty has more than proven itself in the XC world.

I suppose I have to note that the rigid lefty on the Bad Boy is a component the owners of this bike truly love. I dont know if the idea or only justification of a rigid lefty was that it should somehow offer increased performance over a twin bladed fork else what is it's worth? Seems to me that the lefty bad boys are selling just fine and their owners quite pleased with them. Calling it silly (although one has every right to..) does somewhat throw down a gauntlet to those with rigid leftys I would think who clearly have a differing opinion.

There is truth to the limitation on hub options admittedly but so long as there are options it doesnt strike me as a reason not to want one. How many times is a headset changed on an urban/city bike anyhow?

meh..the more I talk about it the more it sounds like it's a big deal...and I dont mean that. I'll have no more comment, but just sayin..

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Because it would bump steer or deflect every time it bottomed firmly -- like every suspension lefty -- and on a rigid fork that would be each and every single bump by definition.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
kosmo said:
Because it would bump steer or deflect every time it bottomed firmly -- like every suspension lefty -- and on a rigid fork that would be each and every single bump by definition.
forgot about that bit. never experienced lefty myself, but i see the mechanism for this claimed issue. perfectly happy w/my niner, so i won't be finding out. :D

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Moozh said:
There is truth to the limitation on hub options admittedly but so long as there are options it doesnt strike me as a reason not to want one.
I guess it's time to start whining to Shimano about how they don't offer a Saint hub in old school quick release style, or why I can't get QR conversion caps for every single 20mm TA hub on the market.

Cannondale, Industry 9, Project 321, DT Swiss, Shimano, Mavic, Woodman, Spinergy, man I hate not having options. ;)

@ kosmo, bottom out deflection of any variety is wheel based, not fork. To get to the same chassis stiffness as the average 4lb Lefty, you'd need to go to a 8lb+ Fox 40 format (straight up independent lab testing numbers). How much flex do they have? :eek:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.