Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, especially since I'm doing more and more road miles: Why don't more roadies use camelbaks? I've been doing a lot of road riding the past 6 weeks and I've only seen one other rider with one.
I just assume use my camelbak and keep the tools I already use for mtb'ing. The things I like are: I can get a drink quicker, stay in position, and still keep my eyes on the hrm, speed, etc.

Any thoughts from fellow roadies.

Lou.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Because they clash with helmet visors. Oh wait, roadies don't wear helmet visors either.

IMO, it's because Lance and Jan and Tyler don't.

·
Registered
16,019 Posts
upstateSC-rider said:
Just curious, especially since I'm doing more and more road miles: Why don't more roadies use camelbaks? I've been doing a lot of road riding the past 6 weeks and I've only seen one other rider with one.
I just assume use my camelbak and keep the tools I already use for mtb'ing. The things I like are: I can get a drink quicker, stay in position, and still keep my eyes on the hrm, speed, etc.

Lou.
Here's the definitive answer: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=12677&highlight=camelbaks

·
Registered
475 Posts
upstateSC-rider said:

Lou.

I see 25-30% of the roadies in my area with camelbacks. But then again, northern california is a little more laid back than some of the other areas. The brutal ones up here are the "tri-geeks" (they named themselves, I swear!) If you don't see them doing it on ESPN they won't do it.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
One hit roadies are missing... A camelback does the same that the trailing tip of an aero helmet. It's simply more aerodinamically efficient. It helps reduce the low pressure area behind your head and hence drag.

Not stylish but efficient.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Roadies are slow to give up traditions.

It doesn't matter if the change makes sense; "it just isn't done," is often heard. Roadies in Europe resist helmets and are resisting a high cadence method of riding and triple chainrings. They use bottles...
I primarily ride mtb and am an mtb'er at heart. Two large botttles get me pretty far and my back is cooler without a camelback on the road.
On the dirt I use a camelback because I carry a lot more stuff which I use or may need and few trails end up at stores.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It is not cool

Uncool to ride the road with a camelback. Also unneccessary. 2 bottles will always get you to a store where you can refill and refuel. You do not need to be as self sufficient on the road. Roadies like to carry money and spend it.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
This is easy, they don't use visors or hydration packs because they'll look like us. Here roadies hate mountainbikers and the last thing that they want is share the same look.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just looked at the roadbikereview site and I'm just amazed. Not riding with one simply because "it's not done" is ridiculous. Having a system that's able to hold more water, keep it cooler longer, and easier to drink from and not using it because it's a fashion faux-pas is crazy.
Better not let anyone see me wearing my Specialized mtb shoes with time pedals on the road. :eek:
I like this quote...
If you don't care what others think, then wear your Camelbak. My suggestion is to let your riding speak for itself, and wear whatever you want.
Lou.

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
I don't know about roadies in general, but this roadie a) would rather have the weight on the bike, b) likes the breeze blowing across his back, and c) can ride with one hand while drinking knowing he's not gonna hit a root or rock and crash.

I'd use bottles on the trail too except for a and c.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've never been a road rider and I don't understand why they would want to stop at a store to get a drink. Why would you go out on a ride knowing you have to stop somewhere?

·
Registered
509 Posts
What about....

barrows said:
Uncool to ride the road with a camelback. Also unneccessary. 2 bottles will always get you to a store where you can refill and refuel. You do not need to be as self sufficient on the road. Roadies like to carry money and spend it.
A pump, tube and levers/tools?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Some reasons...

Mixing Cytomax in a Camelback sucks!! So does cleaning it out.
Camelbacks are hot and irritating on your back. The only reason I ride with one is because I carry a pump. Haven't made the switch to CO2 yet.

·
Registered
256 Posts
RetroG said:
A couple of options:
1. Seat bag
2. Jersey pockets
3. Attached to seat post

wilhelm said:
I've never been a road rider and I don't understand why they would want to stop at a store to get a drink. Why would you go out on a ride knowing you have to stop somewhere?
Longer rides, sometimes stopping for water is also a nice chance to stretch your legs too. I also agree about the energy drinks in camelbaks, that would be way messy and heck to clean out. I don't know if I would be able to carry enough water in a camel bak 80+ miles. Some mtn bike rides have to detour to a stream for water and require riders to either have a purfication filter or a purfication tablet thing.

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
RetroG said:
With CO2, frame and mini-pumps kinda went the way of the dinosaur.... road tube (much smaller than mtb) and levers are all that some carry, heck some just carry quick patches and some tires don't even need levers to get off the rim. With 2 bottles in cages, a small seat bag, and jersey pockets for anything else, what more do you need? Tools? Naw, roads bikes are much less prone to mechanicals (and flats), and it anything all one needs for most adjustments are 5mm and 6mm allen wrenches. Remember, alot of roadies have been doin' it since before the camelbak was invented and those dogs don't easily learn new tricks.

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Camelbaks are generally overkill for a road bike, they're hot and heavy. A road bike is all about being light nimble and quick. You don't need a slew of tools and tubes. Most road rides I've been on have determined rest stops where you can grab a snack, stretch, top off your water, and regroup. Even in a race there will be feed zones to grab a quick water bottle if you're running low.

Except for the hottest days, I never go through two large water bottles during a 40-50 mile road ride. And on the hottest days, I really don't want a camelbak on to get me even hotter. I'd rather stop and refill the water bottle.

george

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I gotta say, man, some of those posts were lol funny.

I have to ask the question.. Why does what you drink your watter out of ALWAYS turn into such a heated debate? Who gives a flying rats a$$ what Rodie Q drinks out of 3000 miles away on the other side of the country? I don't. And I don't see anyone forcing me to drink out of anything I don't want to either.. Boggles the mind..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts