• No, but...

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
One thing that always gets me about how this culture responds to trolling/pranking is the ease with which offensive/irritating/ridiculous behavior is forgiven and embraced, with the troller/pranker elevated after the act's facetious nature is revealed (or really, claimed).

It always get me thinking especially when the act itself is not terribly funny nor ironic, and remains that way even with the "reveal". Even if the facetious nature was truly intended from the start (as opposed to feigned facetiousness to save face from public pushback, a la 4chan-style right-wing trolling), all the troller/pranker illustrates with the reveal is his ability and willingness to manipulate others with lies... which in all other instances seem to be frowned-upon.

I mean, it's not as if the trolling/pranking generated a hysterical response that was itself amusing for being over-the-top. I thought the vast majority of responses were very reasonable. Is it merely that many people felt similarly against the troll/prank that's funny?

Or is it simply that we want to pivot ourselves out of the idea that we were at some point a sap/victim of the "joke", and join the in-crowd of the in-control inflictors/jokers?

·
Registered
Lone Wolf
2,955 Posts
We are weird and off the wall. Especially all of us old, rich hippie [email protected] OP picked the wrong sport if he's averse to nerds nerding out on things.
I'm deeply offended... Just because I spend hours digging into the minute differences and nuances of every rear hub made, that makes me a nerd?!

·
Registered
795 Posts
One thing that always gets me about how this culture responds to trolling/pranking is the ease with which offensive/irritating/ridiculous behavior is forgiven and embraced, with the troller/pranker elevated after the act's facetious nature is revealed (or really, claimed).

It always get me thinking especially when the act itself is not terribly funny nor ironic, and remains that way even with the "reveal". Even if the facetious nature was truly intended from the start (as opposed to feigned facetiousness to save face from public pushback, a la 4chan-style right-wing trolling), all the troller/pranker illustrates with the reveal is his ability and willingness to manipulate others with lies... which in all other instances seem to be frowned-upon.

I mean, it's not as if the trolling/pranking generated a hysterical response that was itself amusing for being over-the-top. I thought the vast majority of responses were very reasonable. Is it merely that many people felt similarly against the troll/prank that's funny?

Or is it simply that we want to pivot ourselves out of the idea that we were at some point a sap/victim of the "joke", and join the in-crowd of the in-control inflictors/jokers?
It's probably a sigh of relief. The OP sounded like a world class sociopath in the original post. Now we know he is just a mere run-of-the-mill one and we know how to handle those.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think you answered your own question. When they all grow up, I don't think you'll have that issue. Speaking as an elder, the most common response I get when I say I mountain bike is something along the lines of, "if only I could do that...".
I get that kind of response too. But 20+ years ago I never felt like I didn’t get respect because I rode a mountain bike. Or maybe I just never cared what people thought about it because I was having so much fun. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
noMAD man
12,211 Posts
Pot, meet kettle.
C'mon, this is an MTB forum. You must specify cast iron, aluminum, titanium, or stainless if you're going to throw that out. I am highly offended and feel disrespected. I think I'll start a thread promoting my dismay...LOL!

If the OP is really a teenager, it is so indicative of the angst and confusion at that age. If he survives, he'll find a whole lot more serious issues to get his hackles up about.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,619 Posts
C'mon, this is an MTB forum. You must specify cast iron, aluminum, titanium, or stainless if you're going to throw that out. I am highly offended and feel disrespected. I think I'll start a thread promoting my dismay...LOL!

If the OP is really a teenager, it is so indicative of the angst and confusion at that age. If he survives, he'll find a whole lot more serious issues to get his hackles up about.
Is the OP actually a teenager? I thought it was all a prank. I mean he has basically came out and said this was all a troll.

Or.... maybe he is an angry teenager pretending to be an adult pretending to be an angry teenager.

·
Sneaker man
3,511 Posts
OP needs to move towns. whre I live mtber's get too much respect!
If they see I have a mtb, they open doors for me, random strangers shour me beers and ladies want to buy me dinner...it's exhausting!

... and I'm a crap mtber...imagine how bad it would be if I was actaully good! I fear to imagine it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was starting to formulate a lecture about all that is wrong with his thinking (there's a lot) but then I had to remind myself that he's only 15 and is going through a learning process.
Yeah people are being hard on the little man ... Respect honestly never crossed my mind about MTB ... Not that I care, but most people my age (42) are out of shape and jealous when I tell them about a bike park or downhill run i went on. And at age 15 yeah, you're at that age when cars are everything and bikes are for losers. In his world he sees it how he sees it, and of course he's actually gonna care what other people think. He'll learn just like the rest of us.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.