Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my SCOTT CR1 (2x10) I noticed pretty quickly that it didn't display the gears that I was in... no big deal though. And now that I am replacing the Deore shifters on my mountain bike I noticed that the Shimano Saint and XTR shifters also lack displays to show the current gear.

What is the reasoning behind removing this feature from high end shifters? It doesn't bother me at all. But it almost seems backwards. I'm guessing there's a legitimate reason for it though.

I guess saving the extra weight it a pretty obvious reason... but that shouldn't apply to the Saint line of products or my Dura Ace shifter/break levers since it's all integrated... right?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I will agree weight, and yes as a seasoned rider you already know what gear you are in. You tend to be a faster rider as well and don't need to be looking down for what gear you are in while on a trail. You should be watching the trail and where you are going.

G

·
I will agree weight, and yes as a seasoned rider you already know what gear you are in. You tend to be a faster rider as well and don't need to be looking down for what gear you are in while on a trail. You should be watching the trail and where you are going.
I think also that a more experienced rider might even go for cadence as a reference.
Most importantly however, gear indicators are often in the way of brake levers in some configs.
Because they serve no real purpose once you ride for a while....plus all the reasons above :)
all of the above.

·
Trailhead Poseur
506 Posts
All of the above, plus it's one less thing to break in a crash. Experienced riders shift by feel and don't really need to know exactly which cog number they're in at any particular moment. If the pedaling is too easy then shift up, if it's too hard then shift down.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Aloha, as others have said, my thought is weight. I agree sometimes when I'm riding with the current crop of shifters, it is hard to know which gear I am in mostly when I'm closer to the end of travel. However, to me, it's been a non-issue because when I'm close to one of the ends of travel, I am either climbing and going really slow or going quite fast already at the high end of the range.

That being said, I think it's pretty hard to look down at the handlebar to see what gear I am in anyway, I just keep looking ahead and if I need one "lower" gear and it is not there, oh well...........

Finally, that is certainly one reason why I've used "thumb shifters" on all of my bikes. Instead of seeing what gear I am in, I "feel" what gear the bike is in based on the position of the shift lever.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I guess i am deep in the minority. I've always preferred having an indicator for setting up wheelie drop or step ups. In the 9 speed daze I would use these. Riding in the dark with 11sp, may have to fabricate something similar.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All of the above, plus it's one less thing to break in a crash.
Haha, both of the displays on my Deore shifters have been broken for years... I loved the shifters, so I didn't mind, but now one of them isn't even shifting so I am finally replacing it. I ordered a Shimano Saint shifter for $35, if I can score another one for the rear for the same price then I'll replace both of them.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Takes up too much space...and you can run the I-spec and match maker setups. Shimano SLX and XT gives you an option to remove the indicators.

I agree with the other posters...after a while...you just get a feel for it.

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
When I bought my SCOTT CR1 (2x10) I noticed pretty quickly that it didn't display the gears that I was in... no big deal though. And now that I am replacing the Deore shifters on my mountain bike I noticed that the Shimano Saint and XTR shifters also lack displays to show the current gear.

What is the reasoning behind removing this feature from high end shifters? It doesn't bother me at all. But it almost seems backwards. I'm guessing there's a legitimate reason for it though.

I guess saving the extra weight it a pretty obvious reason... but that shouldn't apply to the Saint line of products or my Dura Ace shifter/break levers since it's all integrated... right?
Probably beacuse high end users don't care about what exact gear they are in, they just shift and pedal. when you can't shift anymore you reached the limit of the cassette.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Probably beacuse high end users don't care about what exact gear they are in, they just shift and pedal. when you can't shift anymore you reached the limit of the cassette.
I thought that's how every one rides... Maybe not.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Does anyone really look at those things when riding if they are present?

·
RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT
122 Posts
Only time i need to know exactly what gear im in is when my wife asks because she is having trouble climbing

1 - 20 of 60 Posts