Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Why does this keep happening to me?

4K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  Nat 
#1 ·
Hello, i have a problem with landing nose first a lot. I dunno how to control it. Do you think that my bike is too big for me? i have an 29er size M and im like 165cm

Discussion starter · #15 ·
At that height you could be a small or medium frame, depending on your inseam and the frame manufacturer.

It could be technique too.

It probably is a little more difficult to get the "meercat" position going on a bike that's too big but all the little kids I see sending stuff on their Dad's bike tells me it's not impossible.
Hey, heres a video of me with my problem

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Work your way up in small increments. Start with curb drops, pull up on your handlebars enough to land both wheel at same time if not rear wheel first. If that’s too hard practice pulling wheelies on flat ground. Keep working your way up to slightly larger drops.

If you have a full suspension bike and the rebound damping lets the suspension decompress faster on the rear than the front this will definitely contribute to your problem. If so make the front faster (counter clockwise knob turns) and the rear slower (clockwise turns).
Hey heres a my video with my problem

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Hard to say for sure without video but IMO you're probably not actually boosting off the lip with your legs. You're probably being too passive which means your back wheel kinda goes into the lip rather than pushing off it. When that happens you end up rotating forward and landing front heavy. Being too passive on the jump provides at least 3/4 of every Pinkbike Friday Fails.

It probably is a little more difficult to get the "meercat" position going on a bike that's too big but all the little kids I see sending stuff on their Dad's bike tells me it's not impossible.
Look heres an example of me with my problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.