Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always ran lizard skins on my fork sanction tubes to protect them and they've always worked good for me but I'm wondering why I see less and less of them on other peoples bikes. They're even getting hard to find in a bike shop.

It seems to me with more and more riders riding skate parks and urban stuff the potential to scratch your sanctions is higher than ever so they should be peaking in popularity. Are they becoming less popular cuz they might hold dirt/grime against the sanctions and trap in there? Could this result in damaged seals??? I'm building up a new bike and I'm planning to put them on but I'd like some other opinions.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Fork seals are so good that the skins aren't needed (on the fork), and like Shibby noted, they hold dirt against the stanchions.

I use a L.S. shock boot since it's held back by the shocks spring, and I use them to help keep the dirt out of cheaper headsets..

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
On my cheap headsets, I used to just cut out a piece of an old inner tube (to get a ring) and slid it around the headset. Of course, you have to take the fork off to do this, but on a single-crown, that's like 5 minutes work.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I realize the shock seals work well and there are other/better ways to keep your headset clean but doesn't anyone want em to protect against sanction scratches? That's the main reason why I've always used em. It seems like everytime one crashes on a urban ride the sanctions are in jeopardy...if you drop it on a curb the right way you could scratch em pretty good. Do I just have this way overrated as a concern? I ride maybe 50/50 trail/street.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
dandurston said:
I realize the shock seals work well and there are other/better ways to keep your headset clean but doesn't anyone want em to protect against sanction scratches? That's the main reason why I've always used em. It seems like everytime one crashes on a urban ride the sanctions are in jeopardy...if you drop it on a curb the right way you could scratch em pretty good. Do I just have this way overrated as a concern? I ride maybe 50/50 trail/street.
as said they hold dirt and grime wich has a better possiblity of scratching your stanctions.

id rather scratch it on cement. usualy when you drop your bike they or outa danger any way cuz your handel bars, pedals or tries hit first. you have a better chance busting up your disc breaks.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
im not

dandurston said:
Ok guys...I'm gonna try my new bike without em but if the sanctions on my new Marz Z1 FR1 get destroyed I'm comin after all of you.
im not telling you not to use them. that your own choice. but i have never used any sorta stantion protection on any of my forks and havent scratched them.

·
Bad Hand In Life
154 Posts
I Use'm

I use them on my XC bike with a Black Elite, so my bike is completely black. People just don't realize they need to be prepped to work right. Put them on and then rub either petroleum jelly or vaseline into them. They become impenatrable. Just make sure to clean them out every other dirty ride or so.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Nice!.. too bad this is the only kind of contest I seem to ever win...

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
NRTH SHORE said:
as said they hold dirt and grime wich has a better possiblity of scratching your stanctions.

id rather scratch it on cement. usualy when you drop your bike they or outa danger any way cuz your handel bars, pedals or tries hit first. you have a better chance busting up your disc breaks.
lol, i knowthis gets you pissed off, but-

that's why i only run one! and there's no derailleur to get smashed off either :p !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.