Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I assume I am going to get a lot of snarky remarks on this one, but here it goes...

I have noticed lately that on some of my more intense climbs (4 miles 2000 ft elevation gain) that my crotch is going numb. I wear padded shorts/leggings, but this does not seem to help on the climbs. I have been riding regularly (3-4 times a week) for 7 months after a 5 year hiatus from riding (however I have spent the last two years spinning 3-4 times a week, so I am no stranger to bike saddles). I am looking for a new bike right now so I just wanted to know if there is anything I should ask the LBS guy when test riding bikes and getting close to the buying stage. Is it more than the saddle? Is it the fit of my current bike?

Thanks!

P.S. I have taken about 8 bikes for test rides (FS and hardtail and one dreamy 4K bike). So far the GF Tassajara fits me like a glove and is in my budget. I have heard the saddle is a piece of crap though.

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
^^ditto with the new posts

my gf got a specialized (brand) women-specific seat that she LOVES (no, not like that). she says it's a lot more comfy than any of the stock bike seats she tried

·
Registered
156 Posts
OK... I am an actual woman and not a man lurking around on our only place :nono: . hhhhhh.... kay so anyways... Terry saddles. I use the butterfly on both bikes. I was having the same problem and I kept trying to change the tilt with no real luck. I didn't want to spend the $$ or give up my padded saddles but it was well worth it. If there is a woman who works at your LBS talk to her about it. They have different cuts on the saddles for different needs... wide hips... chafing... etc... Hope this helps.

·
Trail Goddess
988 Posts
Never had that issue, but I'd recommend trying out different saddles. If you can find a LBS with different saddles on their demo bikes, you might be able to test the saddles by testing the bikes. Personal comfort can be really variable. While you're looking watch for what fits you best, angle, width, how much squish, etc.

Good luck, Fiona

"OK... I am an actual woman and not a man lurking around on our only place" (huh?) Guys are welcome as long as they're being helpful. These guys were honestly putting forth valuable information and should not be shunned for trying to add to the discussion.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like it could be a saddle issue. Competitive Cycles has a Saddle demo program which I have used. It is the best way to try out multiple saddles and get a real feel for them.

From thier web site: "A demo costs $75. This covers the cost of both the outbound and the inbound UPS Ground shipping plus a nominal fee for 7 days of riding.
The kit includes 11 saddles. Try as many or as few as you want. It's as simple as installing one on your seatpost. The demo period is 7 days. We ask that you ship the kit back to us on the next business day after this 7-day period is complete.
If you choose to purchase a saddle from us within 30 days of returning the saddle kit to us, we'll credit $35 of the demo cost towards your purchase..."

Here for more info: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mountain-bikes/demo-saddle

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I will talk with the LBS I plan on getting my bike from about the saddles and options. I have not see one (where are they?) female sales person at all the bikes stores I have hit in my area.

On another note - Stripes are you in the Bay Area? I see the Mere Mortals link on your signature. I have ridden a few time with a ROMP group, but I also keep telling myself I will get to one of the Mere Mortal rides. Seems like there are more women riding with the Mere Mortals than I have seen at the few ROMP rides I went on.

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
WOW, what an awesome idea! I know back when I was still looking for saddles that fit, I would have GLADLY paid $75 to keep my sit-bits happy for the next 3-10 years!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Also, make sure the bike is properly fitted to you...as in saddle height, front to rear saddle adjustment, proper stem length, cleat position in your shoe, etc. This will help because if the saddle is too far back (or the stem is too long) you body will move forward to the narrow part of the saddle.

Also, its counter intuitive but lowering the nose of the saddle is not the right thing to do most of the time. For most women the saddle should be level or with the nose just a tiny bit above the rear. This will make your hips rotate back on to your sit bones and off your...uh...sensitive area.

FYI, I am a guy but I have managed high end bike shops for 12 years and I have fitted many very serious female cyclists to road and mountain bikes.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
+ 1 for the Terry saddles... designed by a woman for women :)

I rode a "woman specific" selle italia for a couple of years and my crotch was never happy until I switched to a Terry Falcon last year. And I ride a butterfly on my road bike. To prevent numbness, you still need to get off the saddle from time to time (stand up) when on a long climb, though.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Saddles are such a personal thing. You've really just got to try a few and see what works for you. (If you can borrow a few from friends to demo that is always helpful, or find a shop with a great exchange policy or a setup where you can demo them in the shop). I tried the Terry Damselfly and it was the most painful saddle experience I've had yet - and the Butterfly is way too wide for me to maneuver around. But I know a lot of other women love both of those. Currently I have a Selle San Marco Caymano that I love, and I've had a number of other unisex saddles that have worked well, and a women's Specialized that was good too. Once you try a few you'll start to recognize shapes, amounts of cushioning, and features that tend to work for you and it'll get easier to shop.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If the bike fits, you like it and its in your budgett then get it!!! Saddles are easily swappable. Most saddles have a certain day garante so if you don't like it then return it and try another one! Bontrager has that inform saddle. They are awesome saddles! It doesn't look very comfortable but all my saddle issues went away after a few rides on the inform saddle!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.