Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I buy this used Burner b/c I can't take a hardtail anymore for the long XC trails. I change the bushings, clean it up, polish the rear, add new decals and headbadge, switch the components, intall new cables. Basically the same component group as my 5 Spot except it has a Pushed Fox AVA (at full volume). a Minute 1, and 2.1 Fire XC Pros instead of a Pushed RP3 and a Talas and 2.3 tubelss Spiders. I take it for its first ride and its fantastic. Faster accelerating, lighter to bring up the nose, BUT feels just as plush in the rear. Now its virtually the same weight, about 29lb. I can figure its feels faster maybe b/c of the tire weight and lighter up front maybe b/c of the shorter w/b, but why so plush? Could the max volume AVA vs the RP3? They were both PUSHED to the same spec weight of rider. Your ideas please. I have yet to ride it on my technical trails, but regardless, it was one grin inspiring ride!!!!!

Now, about the volume thing......if it is the RP3, and I don't want to get rid of the 5 Spot, what rear air shock could I install to get it to feel,....I guess I would say, more plush but with a platform that breaks easily?

By the way, I ride slowly and I'm not all that talented, don't leave the ground much at all, but do lots of logs, roots, stream crossings, technical rock gardens and the like. Like the XC riding too.

Could it be 'new bike 1st ride syndrome'?

Thanks and happy riding.

SB

Attachments

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
The "plush" feeling of the Burner/XCE is the result of that rocker angle. It's easier to compress the suspension with less force than the horizontal rocker of the Flux/Spot/RFX/Nitrous suspensions. There is geometry tweaking in the rear ends, of course, but that is my understanding.

The Burner was a good feeling bike, despite not being as good a performer as the Flux, IN MY OPINION.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Perhaps the trails you took it on, as you yourself described, aren't rough/rocky enough to warrant the difference in travel between the 2. There's alot of stuff out there the Spot is simply overkill for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts