Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Why does my new chain feel waxy?

589 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  logbiter 
#1 ·
I just bought a new chain (a SRAM P-58, I think. It's an 8-speed chain from SRAM) I took it out of the box and it felt waxy. What's up with that?

#4 ·
I am almost certain that SRAM advices against degreasing the chain. They pack them with that special "lube" -aka: greassy waxy thing that picks up a lot of dirt- and it is supposed to be the cat's meow.

If the search engine is up and running, you may want to look for threads on that issue -I know that it has been discussed at least a couple of times here.

#5 ·
Dwight Moody said:
Oh I'm happy it's not rusty. I'm just wondering if I should strip it before lubing it. Or can I just throw some tri-flo on top of the grease?
Using a bit of tri-flo shouldn't be a problem, just wipe the chain down real good before riding. Any excess grease/lube on the outside of the chain won't help things.

#6 ·
Dwight Moody said:
I just bought a new chain (a SRAM P-58, I think. It's an 8-speed chain from SRAM) I took it out of the box and it felt waxy. What's up with that?
yeah, sram uses some stuff called Gleitmo? There's been some good talk here about it in the past.
Bottom Line- it's a great lube! Don't degrease it, but once it wears off, apply your lube of choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.