Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think it's only started doing it since I put a softer spring in and have been able to access most of the travel. I did grease the spring really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
so a few rides after applying lots and lots of grease, the squeak is back, only happens during fast deep compression.

Does it need more grease? is it something else?

do they need some oil in the lowers? I have had the forks apart a few times but have been careful not to loose any oil. Maybe some did escape and the lowers are now too dry?

Tempted to remove the rubber off the spring, sounds like the rubber rubbing internally on the tube.

Anyone else have/had this issue?

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Thats a strange squeak for the spring, does it change with different damper settings? Don't remove the rubber, but make sure it hasn't wiggled its way up or down the spring and is still fairly snug.

What grease are you using?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ll try different damper settings to see what happens.
Rubber is still on the springs (why not remove it?)
I’m using Park Tool grease PPL-2

It’s odd that it doesn’t squeak without the spring.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
I'll try different damper settings to see what happens.
Rubber is still on the springs (why not remove it?)
I'm using Park Tool grease PPL-2

It's odd that it doesn't squeak without the spring.

If you remove the rubber it will either scrape the stanchion badly or rattle from side to side, both being much worse than the current sound.

I would change grease, the Park grease isn't designed to mix with oil. Rockshox Military grease is best, or slickoleum works well and is cheaper

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greased the spring with the Rockshox grease, gave the wipers an oil bath, re-assembled, put the correct amount of oil in the lowers. Bounced in the car park for 10 minutes and the squeak returned.

My only thought is that it is air whistling through the spring glide ring that has holes in it. You can position it so that the holes are closed, but the instructions are very clear to align the holes (I presume to allow oil flow?).

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, haven’t contacted them. I’m in the UK so not sure what hell they could be? I’m changing to Lyrik Ultimate and selling the Helm. I’ve had enough messing around with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.