Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I had my bike on the trainer last night doing some fun interval training. About 1/2 way through I notice this kind of click/creak sound while I am riding and of course as soon as I notice it, it starts to bug the hell out of me. Long story short, after jumping, pushing, pulling ect I figured out that the noise is coming from where the shock (5th element) connects to the frame under the top tube. Also I can twist the shock a bit, it won't move side to side but it will twist. I only mention this because the shock on my wifes (a fox) doesn't move at all. I tried tightening all of the ?bolts? and everything is as tight as I can get it. Please someone tell me a way to fix it!!!!!

Also..why does my shock sound like it is a matress in a 10 dollar hotel?

·
Registered
87 Posts
The twisting you are describing sounds like the rose joint doing its job. I would try removing all bushings, cleaning and re-installing. Also greasing/thread locking all bolts.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
The fifth element has Heim joints that allows the shock to move. Total BS me thinks. But normal for this shock.

Anyhow, what Klunky suggests is spot on. A bit of grease on all metal to metal is always a good thing. Except the shock reducers.

Greg

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I took it off the trainer and rode it a bit around the neighborhood. It doesn't creak now....I am thinking that it may have had something to do with the stresses of it setting in the trainer. I am still going to grease/clean everything this weekend but at least the creaking won't drive me crazy on the ride tomorrow.

As for the 5th vs the Fox. I like the Fox better but I would still go with the expert if I made the choice again for 300 you get a pretty big component upgrade and much nicer wheel set.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Now my New '06 Azure Expert with the Fox Float R is creaking after 4-5 rides, plus a few on the trainer. It's definintely tied to my pedaling, I notice it when I'm in high gears and really cranking on it. When spinning I don't hear any thing. I also can't make the noise by jumping the bike, etc.

I tried tightening up the suspension bolts, but it didn't seem to make a difference, however I didn't remove them or anything.

When you guys talk about greasing the bolts, what do you mean? I was thinking about removing them and trying Blue Loctite. Also, any suggestions for NOT stripping the heads when tightening? They seem to be especially soft material for some reason.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I checked that, I have the same crank/bb on another bike. I may take the crank off and check the bottom bracket cups, but I just tightened those down when I upgraded to Enduro Fork Seals BB bearings (long story why I did this on a new bike). It does seem like a drivetrain thing, but I don't know. Never had a FS bike before.....

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hmm. Saddle? Seatpost? Pedals? Grease and proper torque fixes most seatpost and pedal-related creaking. There are a lot of possibilities with your symptoms. Actually, I'd rule out the saddle--if it's creaking at all, it would probably creak no matter how smoothly you were pedaling. But I'd check those things before tearing into your BB shell.

Was the shell faced?

I hate creaking.

I don't recall seeing blue loctite on my sus. bolts, but a lot of people are doing it. Grease is just that--just enough on the threads to cover them as they insert, excess will ooze out. I like Phil Wood.

Use the absolute newest and best tools you have access to on those types of parts. Tools that are rounded off, even imperceptibly, can strip heads very easily.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Don't forget the chainring bolts.

These always seem to be a major cause of creaking. Usually the chainring bolts are also the last thing I'll check too cause I always assume it's the BB or pedal..

·
Registered
95 Posts
I tightened down the chainring bolts too. You're right, I doubt it's saddle or seatpost, I'm pretty sure I can get the sound when standing as well.

Can you put both loctite and grease on pivot bolts? I still think it might be them, I think the rear of a bike twists somewhat when you're really cranking on it, right?

Will there be squeaking if the pivot bolts are too tight?

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
soccerjett said:
I tightened down the chainring bolts too. You're right, I doubt it's saddle or seatpost, I'm pretty sure I can get the sound when standing as well.

Can you put both loctite and grease on pivot bolts? I still think it might be them, I think the rear of a bike twists somewhat when you're really cranking on it, right?

Will there be squeaking if the pivot bolts are too tight?
Don't count out the saddle. Last 3 rides on my K2, lots of creaking. I spent an hour pulling apart all the pivot points, didn't stop the creaking. :madman: It was coming from the seat clamps. K2 sent me the pivot point torque specs, they all ranged between 100 and 160 inch pounds.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nope, not the seatpost. I cranked it down and I can still get the creaking while standing. I don't notice any play though, so I'm not too concerned yet. It's just annoying.

One of these days I'll take each suspension bolt out (with my new allen wrench set) and grease. It can't hurt anyway. I've heard people mention greasing and loctite. How do you do both?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Did you guys with the creaking get it fixed?

My Deus cranks started creaking again over the weekend. The first time with this crank it was the crank bolt. Turns out this round, four chainring bolts were loose! I've never had that happen before, but I tinker a lot, so I think I may usually catch these types of things before they start. Anyway, I think Ashwinearl mentioned it earlier.

Edit: Oops, I just saw that Soccerjett already tightened his chainring bolts.

·
Registered
95 Posts
perioeci said:
Did you guys with the creaking get it fixed?

My Deus cranks started creaking again over the weekend. The first time with this crank it was the crank bolt. Turns out this round, four chainring bolts were loose! I've never had that happen before, but I tinker a lot, so I think I may usually catch these types of things before they start. Anyway, I think Ashwinearl mentioned it earlier.

Edit: Oops, I just saw that Soccerjett already tightened his chainring bolts.
It's worth a shot again, maybe with some Loctite and the actual chainring tool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.