Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may seem like a stupid question but everyone I see on the trails have a set of gloves. Is it for protection from thorns or branches or is it for the padding? One of the first upgrades I did to my bike was a set of odi rouge grips which are pretty soft so maybe thats why Im not experiencing pain in my hands but I just dont see the point in gloves. Im only asking because if you look at all of the lists people make of "Things you need to mountain bike" gloves is usually right up there with bike and helmet. Should I try a set?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Last week I went OTB and cut my hand on my chain ring(still dont know how). Took over a week to heal. If I had gloves I dont think it would have happened. They are next on my gear list.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gloves can be for protection or for comfort. Many MTB specific gloves have padding in the palm of the glove. Some people find their hands go numb or just get uncomfortable on longer rides if they don't have comfortable grips or padded gloves.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Unless you've been trained in falling, aikido or judo for example, the natural reaction is to throw out hands to stop the fall. Since most people recognize how useless they are without one or both hands, they take steps to protect them while doing "dangerous" activities that they love.

Next time you have cause to become separated from your bike, take a look at what your hands are doing.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I just saw a pic that illustrates the need for gloves pretty well...

:eekster:

let's see if the pic link works...

After seeing this happen to my friends hand! Eeekk.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think everything just feels better. When I'm riding in the summer, sweat won't affect my grip on the bars. This not only means that I'll have better control over the bike, but also that I won't have to grip down so tightly on my bars (making it easier to ride for long periods of time). Not to mention it boosts my confidence a bit. When I'm riding, I want the only failures to be my own due to lack of ability or making a mistake, not my equipment (if my hands would slip off the grips, for example.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
OK, so everyone has a reason to wear gloves, but here are my reasons not to wear them:
1. Blistered and callused are how a man's hand should look like.
2. I can't pick my nose with gloves on
3. Just like condoms, it's there for protection, but it's just doesn't feel the same.
I think that's it for now. ;)

·
Disgruntled Peccary
3,330 Posts
the-one1 said:
After #1, you should be able to execute a perfect snot-rocket... with mittens on.:skep:

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,878 Posts
muell said:
this may seem like a stupid question but everyone I see on the trails have a set of gloves. Is it for protection from thorns or branches or is it for the padding? One of the first upgrades I did to my bike was a set of odi rouge grips which are pretty soft so maybe thats why Im not experiencing pain in my hands but I just dont see the point in gloves. Im only asking because if you look at all of the lists people make of "Things you need to mountain bike" gloves is usually right up there with bike and helmet. Should I try a set?
Protection when/if I fall.
Helps me grip the bar when my hands get sweaty or wet.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
to add some additional points:

most decent gloves have some rubber grippers to prevent your fingers from sliding off the brake levers.

gloves provide sun cover so I don't have to spray them with sunscreen that can only compound the sweaty grip problems.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Grip for me. The added protection is nice, but even riding when my hands aren't sweaty I don't feel like I can grip the bars enough.

Gloves=something I don't ride without.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I forgot my gloves and shin pads somehow a few weeks ago. I came to a stop on a root run and there was a pine tree right next to me. I put my hand out to catch myself on the tree so I didn't have to put my foot down. It wasn't a real tree, just a bark facade. I went through the tree. Gashed up both my hands AND my shin came down on my bike frame which split my leg open. Had I been wearing my normal protection nothing would have happened at all.

the-one1 said:
C'mon man, fingerless gloves!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts